Carbon fiber wrapped barrels

A CF barrel is NOT stiffer than the same cross section metal barrel. However a CF barrel IS stiffer than a same weight metal barrel partly because the CF cross section would be much bigger. I am curious, on the rifles using CF wrapped around a steel inner core, are they usually wrapped to larger diameters than the solid steel barrels ? In other words do the CF barrels look like TARGET barrel rifles ? My concern with CF barrels is that there is no CF technology that does not involve an adhesive matrix and right now the best matrix is hi temp epoxy. BUT it is not very high temp compared to glowing red metal. I believe that it would
be pretty easy to damage a CF barrel by shooting it to the temp at which the epoxy matrix suffers damage. I would say shoot it till hot to touch and then no more until the barrel cools.
Someone needs to build a CF barreled M1 and let her rip till it's smokin hot! That'll be a good test, not it!

After finishing my 25-284 Bartlein CFW rifle, I'm purchasing an X Caliber lightweight contour CFW .308 5R barrel for a 30 Sherman build. 8.5/9 twist haven't decided totally on twist. Want to see how the X caliber compares to the Bartlein. From all the reviews, they sound very good.

Someone needs to build a CF barreled M1 and let her rip till it's smokin hot! That'll be a good test, not it!
I believe it's been done some thing about proof being awarded a military contract and that was some of the testing required

Bartlein's CFW barrels are the exact same contour profile as their steel barrels similarly marked. ie a CFW #4 is same as a steel #4 contour. So no worries about not fitting the stock if you swap them. (Assuming same shank length)
I was looking at the Bartlein conture chart and the #4, steel also the 3b and 3 have the same dimensions out to six inches starting with the #4 going down to the 3 it has at 6 inches at 1.00, 0.900,0.870. If these dimensions are the same out to 6 inches would the #4 CF be able to be swapped out on a prefit action using the same stock for steel or carbon? I was considering the question posed about having to have a different stock for each cf barrel. As I understand the #4 conture CF Bartlein is heavier than the proof. I think someone made that determination also a number 4 Bartlein seems to be like a 5 on other barrel makers conture? I also have been informed about AG stocks looking on their web page and listening to some YouTube videos they appear to be wanting to make a great product. McMillan sold and the last stock I received from them the front pillar appeared to have been to long and it looked like it was drilled down flush maybe that is common practice it just didn't look professional. My opinion

Just got my new 7 Allen Mag for APS / Kirby Allen. Running a 26" Bartlein Carbon 8-twist 5R #4 Bull Sporter in the new harder SS (Bartlein proprietary 400 MOD BB). Very happy with it so far.

150 gr Badlands Gen 2 Bulldozer
106.9 gr. RL33
3675 fps average

195 gr. Berger EOL
100.0 gr. RL33
3300 fps average

As you can see by the speed and load, this rifle will really test a barrel, and this is what Kirby says:

"Rifle shot well, did not see any group walking when barrel heated up which is common with Proof carbon barrels. Group size did open up a bit testing the hot barrel. I do this to make sure there are no stress issues in the barrel that show up as the barrel warms up.

I gave the rifle a good test drive and warmed the barrel up to check for any point of impact shifting. I did not see any point of impact shifting but I did notice that after around the 5th shot I started to notice groups opening up a bit. Nothing dramatic but it was noticed.

Cold bore the rifle would easily hit 1/3 - 1/2 moa sized targets (900 yds), out of a hot barrel, all shots would either hit or land on the close fringes of 1/2 moa sized targets, so very good for a carbon wrapped barrel. I could see no real difference between this barrel and the Bartlein steel barrels I normally use. Cut the same, finished the same, seemed to shoot the same."

Attachments

• 7 Allen Mag - Stalker 2.jpeg
    7 Allen Mag - Stalker 2.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 7 Allen Mag - Stalker.jpeg
    7 Allen Mag - Stalker.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 114
I have experience with a grand total of one carbon barrel. It is a Proof on a .28 Nosler. Here is my experience with it. Slow fire with plenty of cooling it shoots very well. Fire three shots quickly and it will put two in the same hole and throw the third about 3/4" or so. Also, you will see heat waves in the scope on the third shot. So, in my gun you get a cold bore and a follow up. Fine for hunting, but I won't be doing another. No idea if this is normal, or if I have one with some built in stress, or what, but this is what my rifle does. It does LOOK COOL, and that is what matters anyway, isn't it?

I have experience with a grand total of one carbon barrel. It is a Proof on a .28 Nosler. Here is my experience with it. Slow fire with plenty of cooling it shoots very well. Fire three shots quickly and it will put two in the same hole and throw the third about 3/4" or so. Also, you will see heat waves in the scope on the third shot. So, in my gun you get a cold bore and a follow up. Fine for hunting, but I won't be doing another. No idea if this is normal, or if I have one with some built in stress, or what, but this is what my rifle does. It does LOOK COOL, and that is what matters anyway, isn't it?
Interesting, I have never had a proof barrel walk or open up. I have 4. All can handle 10 shot strings and even used one for PRS a couple times which run 12. The last time I shot a group it was 2 test loads of 6 each and ran them straight, at 500 it was a 2.5" group of 12 rounds. Weird the things people experience. My neighbor has a couple savage lights with proof and they shoot lights out as well.

Interesting, I have never had a proof barrel walk or open up. I have 4. All can handle 10 shot strings and even used one for PRS a couple times which run 12. The last time I shot a group it was 2 test loads of 6 each and ran them straight, at 500 it was a 2.5" group of 12 rounds. Weird the things people experience. My neighbor has a couple savage lights with proof and they shoot lights out as well.
What cartridge you running those long shot stings in? That can make a lot of difference. I have a Proof on a Gunwerks Magnus 7-LRM. Seems to work ok, but I never tried long shot strings.

What cartridge you running those long shot stings in? That can make a lot of difference. I have a Proof on a Gunwerks Magnus 7-LRM. Seems to work ok, but I never tried long shot strings.
Good point. 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creed. I built a lighter 300 PRC for a friend and did a 8 shot test. I had 2 left and said, nope, I am done and satisfied with the 500 yard group. It wasn't amazing, first 3 tight and opened up to 4" with 1 shot being out of the group. It was 212 ELD factory ammo. I didn't like the recoil or his scope at all so I don't if it was me or the barrel or the ammo, just didn't want to shoot it anymore. He seems happy with it.

Good point. 6.5-284, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creed. I built a lighter 300 PRC for a friend and did a 8 shot test. I had 2 left and said, nope, I am done and satisfied with the 500 yard group. It wasn't amazing, first 3 tight and opened up to 4" with 1 shot being out of the group. It was 212 ELD factory ammo. I didn't like the recoil or his scope at all so I don't if it was me or the barrel or the ammo, just didn't want to shoot it anymore. He seems happy with it.
Big difference between those and a .28 Nosler. Lots more powder burning in the bore. If I ever get talked into another, it will be in a little gun like those.

Big difference between those and a .28 Nosler. Lots more powder burning in the bore. If I ever get talked into another, it will be in a little gun like those.
Yeah no desire to shoot the big mags unless the thing is heavy, planted, and running a big brake. My hunters are fairly light and suppressed. I pack them all over he!! and back. Even built a long range pistol for added fun and compact back country travel. New 6 creedmoor barrel arrived today so it's time to see if I can hammer a wolf with it.

Just got my new 7 Allen Mag for APS / Kirby Allen. Running a 26" Bartlein Carbon 8-twist 5R #4 Bull Sporter in the new harder SS (Bartlein proprietary 400 MOD BB). Very happy with it so far.

150 gr Badlands Gen 2 Bulldozer
106.9 gr. RL33
3675 fps average

195 gr. Berger EOL
100.0 gr. RL33
3300 fps average

As you can see by the speed and load, this rifle will really test a barrel, and this is what Kirby says:

"Rifle shot well, did not see any group walking when barrel heated up which is common with Proof carbon barrels. Group size did open up a bit testing the hot barrel. I do this to make sure there are no stress issues in the barrel that show up as the barrel warms up.

I gave the rifle a good test drive and warmed the barrel up to check for any point of impact shifting. I did not see any point of impact shifting but I did notice that after around the 5th shot I started to notice groups opening up a bit. Nothing dramatic but it was noticed.

Cold bore the rifle would easily hit 1/3 - 1/2 moa sized targets (900 yds), out of a hot barrel, all shots would either hit or land on the close fringes of 1/2 moa sized targets, so very good for a carbon wrapped barrel. I could see no real difference between this barrel and the Bartlein steel barrels I normally use. Cut the same, finished the same, seemed to shoot the same."
Nice Rifle..It should settle in a bit better with a few more rounds. I do like the Barlein barrels.I have not had a Carbon barrel. What brand /model of Bipod is that?

Light weight big 30 cal magnums ain't for me. I've done that. I got a big heavy 300 Norma that I don't think is for me either.