Carbon Fiber Prefit for Savage

Tiny Tim

Looking at putting a carbon fiber pre-fit on a Savage LA in 300 WM. Looked at Proof ( least options and most expensive), Carbon Six (McGowen blanks(?)), and Excalibur. The latter 2 give you the most options and are a little less expensive (depending on options selected). Would likely do a sendero profile. Any experience, preferences? Getting new stock and bottom metal. Will be a hunting rig.

I think Proof only offers a 24 " pre-fit. Any advantage to going longer than 26"?

I know it's alot of questions but I have no experience with carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

Thanks, Tim

Talk to ohiofarmer.

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 57
Looking at putting a carbon fiber pre-fit on a Savage LA in 300 WM. Looked at Proof ( least options and most expensive), Carbon Six (McGowen blanks(?)), and Excalibur. The latter 2 give you the most options and are a little less expensive (depending on options selected). Would likely do a sendero profile. Any experience, preferences? Getting new stock and bottom metal. Will be a hunting rig.

I think Proof only offers a 24 " pre-fit. Any advantage to going longer than 26"?

I know it's alot of questions but I have no experience with carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

Thanks, Tim
Have you looked at Preferred Barrel Blank? They have Carbon fiber barrels now, they have a wide arrange of reamers to chamber, another company to compare. I have purchased two SS barrels from them this year, they are very easy to contact, if you leave a message you get a return call within an hour, top notch customer service. Once the actions come in, I can provide a better review on the barrels.

None in 300 WM so take it FWIW.

Have done (2) Carbon Six-one shoots very well. Jury is still out on the second, but it doesn't even have 100 rounds on it yet. Headspace on that one was tricky. It was a Savage. This is a 22" 338 Lapua (for a can), but I am really liking the short barrel.

A Proof on a Savage from @ohiofarmer. 6.5 creed and shoots as it should.

A 338 Wildcat from Preferred that took some time to figure out, but I attribute to the shooter.

An Excaliber for a Savage that was very rough, but shot well.

Have had a few 300 WMs. Current is a 24" barrel (not prefit) but I do not think you will notice any difference from 24-26" or any that actually matters.

None in 300 WM so take it FWIW.

Have done (2) Carbon Six-one shoots very well. Jury is still out on the second, but it doesn't even have 100 rounds on it yet. Headspace on that one was tricky. It was a Savage. This is a 22" 338 Lapua (for a can), but I am really liking the short barrel.

A Proof on a Savage from @ohiofarmer. 6.5 creed and shoots as it should.

A 338 Wildcat from Preferred that took some time to figure out, but I attribute to the shooter.

An Excaliber for a Savage that was very rough, but shot well.

Have had a few 300 WMs. Current is a 24" barrel (not prefit) but I do not think you will notice any difference from 24-26" or any that actually matters.
Thanks for the info. Always appreciate first hand experience.

I have 3 of the X-Caliber carbon prefits. 2 Savage and 1 Remage. 7-08, and 25-06 AI on the Savages and a 280 AI on the Remage. Havent shot the Remage yet. But I should get to it this weekend. the 2 Savages shoot lights out. the 2506 AI will consistently shoot 1/2 MOA to 1000 if I do my part. when it opens up it only goes to 3/4 MOA. The 7-08 has been 1/2 MOA with 4 different bullets and the easiest rifle I have ever loaded for. I have high hopes for the Remage as well. I typically wait until a holiday week to order from X-caliber due to the 20% off sale they run.

Any advantage to going longer than 26"?
IMO none that outweigh considerations of balance, handling, and you carrying it. I'm usually the "longest barrel possible" guy but for hunting use getting a 1mph better wind call or 10 yard better range or simply being in a more stable position have a larger impact than 30 FPS.

I agree with 1Mechanic. I choose to go long (up to 30" barrels on some hunting rifles) but there's no practical benefit other than I like it and it makes me feel better when shooting 🤣 One of my 30SMs is 28" and doesn't do anything you couldn't with a 24" or 26" 300WM.

IMO none that outweigh considerations of balance, handling, and you carrying it. I'm usually the "longest barrel possible" guy but for hunting use getting a 1mph better wind call or 10 yard better range or simply being in a more stable position have a larger impact than 30 FPS.

I agree with 1Mechanic. I choose to go long (up to 30" barrels on some hunting rifles) but there's no practical benefit other than I like it and it makes me feel better when shooting 🤣 One of my 30SMs is 28" and doesn't do anything you couldn't with a 24" or 26" 300WM.
Lol. I know the feeling. Also working on a 6 Max

I have an unused c6 30" 9 twist for a 110 action (small/standard barrel nut) I might possibly sell you? All I've done is thread it onto the receiver and mount the stock. I just haven't had time to do anything else with it. From order date to receiving it was 183 days.