Oregon mountain rifle company carbon fiber prefits

i'm curious about them also. what bullet are you planning on running? I'm thinking about 156 Bergers.. but was not sure if the saami spec prefit would be a good combo
Im a big fan of the 143 eldx out of my Creedmoor so will start with it but will also be looking at the 156 bergers. I am building this rifle on a rem 700 Long Action.

Well i can tell you their customer service is great. I was furloughed today and i emailed asking to cancel my order. Wasnt no time and they replied and refunded my money and wished me the best. So i let them know if i go back to work i will be reordering.
Sorry to hear that man
This wuflu shutdown is freaking killing us

I had oregon mountain rifle build me a 300 prc. Here is the run down. I had high hopes for this company. It started out great! Then I was called saying my gun was ready. I went and picked it up looked great. I noticed the bolt that I had cerakoted had a chip in the back that had been colored in with a sharpie trying to hide it. Lee said after season he would meet me at the cerakote shop to drop it off and have the barrel engraving done. The engraving should have been done before i was told it was done. I got the gun home started looking it over and found the chamber extremely dirty with metal and media from cerakote. The bolt was really tight. Lee said just cycle it to wear the cerakote down it will smooth out. While doing that the bolt stuck closed. I called him and he immediately got defensive saying i did something. I took the gun back. Had to take the gun apart to get the bolt free. He then said its a old bolt probably need a different one. I know that gun didn't have many rounds through it. So I asked about taking it apart to clean it because it felt like grit in it. He didn't know how to take a Remington 700 bolt apart i had to show him and help. Any gun builder should know this. Bolt was full of media from cerakote. Put everything back together bolt worked great. Asked him about the barrel being off to one side. He loosened the action screws forced it over tightened it down. It was still off but not as bad. Didn't torque the screws. I was really shocked. I know to torque everything and I'm not a custom shop. Got it home again and try to cycle some cartridges. It wouldn't cycle out of the mag. He never shortened the bolt catch so that the bolt comes back farther with the wyatt mag box. I found this out by calling wyatt. I decided to fix the rest of the gun myself after the last experience taking it back earlier that day. I planned to talk to him after everything was finished being engraved and cerakote repair. Also show him the pics. I then took the gun apart to shorten the bolt catch. I then found where the barrel nut was contacting the stock. That's what was pushing the barrel off to one side. I clearanced that area fit great then. Also had to grind out the sides of the feed ramps. I learned this from wyatt when I told him the cases were getting damaged when cycling. I decided the bed the action since I was this far in now. Finally I have everything done correctly. Bear season over i call to meet at the cerakote and have engraving done he said he was just there he will call me when he goes back there. I carried my gun for a week no call I text him about meeting. He now said that's not how it works. I need to bring it back to the shop. I said you told me I could meet you there and wait for the engraving and leave the bolt. I told him forget i will just pay to have it done im not driving 20min each way 4 trips about a hour and a half total. When I literally work 2 minutes from the cerakote shop. I then told him about all the other things I had to fix and sent pictures. He never responded. A simple sorry would have been the least he should have done. I did a lot of research before choosing oregon mountain rifle. Never did i expect this. Very disappointed! I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 20200331_135528.jpg
    20200331_135528.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 627
  • 20200623_082036.jpg
    20200623_082036.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 628
  • 20200327_152419.jpg
    20200327_152419.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 633
Lee doesnt claim to be a gun builder.. only a barrel manufacturer.... Hes very green at this it seems like, but does a decent job. I've had a few firsts for him along the way as well. I think hes just taking on a lot work and Is trying to please everyone. He has a decent product. Needs to fine tune some of his other products

Kasey

Agreed, he's a good dude just has more to learn. He still needs to make everything right though and make sure he does everything within reason to make his customers happy. He's been doing that with others. Hope somehow he can make it right with you but seems like he's past that opportunity.

I had Howage barrel done for my 257 weatherby from him. He was very helpful and responsive. The barrel was a little slower then expected but that was to be expected because of covid. The overall experience was very good. The barrel was installed recently and I shot it for the first time last weekend. It shot well during the first run at initial break in.

Yes I agree the barrel is good and good price. The rest was just not a good experience after giving him $2200 for the work. This could be very frustrating for someone with no gun knowledge. I'm not here to bash anyone. Just information for those asking. I read on all the forums before I ordered back early January. I had referred a friend for a rebarrel he had no issues.

My personal experiences have always been great with Lee and Oregon Mountain Rifle. Ive personally brought in close to 40 barrels this year already, not prefits but blanks and have spun them up on various hunting rifles. Only issue i have ever ran into at all wasnt from his company but a mis labeled barrel from the blank manufacture as a 5 groove when it was a 4 groove. He instantly had me a 5 groove shipped and took care of the issue. Even offered to let me keep the 4 groove until a customer of mine ordered a 4 groove. If i have a custom order for a certain barrel i use then i have been able to send him my barrel to cut and wrap which have also been amazing.
I will say this about the industry right now.This lockdown stuff our gov in oregon has put on us has been brutal to our businesses. Accompany that with customer deadlines etc.. and no matter how cool our customers have been some have been known to call us 3 times a day and try and light fires under asses. Especially the closer it gets to hunting seasons and i just dont think that is a very good idea to do to the guy building basically a pipe bomb that launches projectiles :) Im not saying thats what happened by any means at all, im just saying i have seen alot of idle hands with the lockdown and that in turn has created alot of stir crazy customers that want things right now. Ive been semi lucky in that area as most of my clients know its going to be awhile before they get their rifle in their hands. Im sorry you had that experience but i think if you called and just spoke to him for a bit you would come to an agreement and have the rifle fixed up to your standards as well. As gunsmiths andrifle company owners we all want the best for our customers and for them to be the happiest that they can be and satisfied at the end of the day. This industry is too small to burn customers and everyone knows everyone. I would personally try to talk to him and rectify the situation at the end of the day were all human, mistakes get made, but its how you handle it that defines your character.
Just my .02

Brian
www.cuttingedgerifles.com
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.