Carbon Barrel Suggestion

Just out of curiosity, did Brux shut down or just never updated their equipment? I've never had one but know a few guys who had them and were satisfied. Keep in mind, I'm one of the senior members on this site. Not by expertise but by age.
I don't think so I got 2 of them over the summer one for 22-250 and one for 6gt. I will say they were not the easiest to find a load for. The did come from Bugholes and could have been stock though.

I don't think so I got 2 of them over the summer one for 22-250 and one for 6gt. I will say they were not the easiest to find a load for. The did come from Bugholes and could have been stock though.
Which other manufacturers were you considering and are you satisfied with them?

If budget isn't an issue Proof or Bartlein. Proof first. They've been doing it properly the longest. Not to say that i don't trust bartlein because i do. I just know Proofs freaking shoot. If more budget oriented i haven't seen a single bad review of Carbon Six and have a tikka barrel on order myself. A prefit for $680 to my door ready to go. Nearly half of the cost i have into my proof blank.

If budget isn't an issue Proof or Bartlein. Proof first. They've been doing it properly the longest. Not to say that i don't trust bartlein because i do. I just know Proofs freaking shoot. If more budget oriented i haven't seen a single bad review of Carbon Six and have a tikka barrel on order myself. A prefit for $680 to my door ready to go. Nearly half of the cost i have into my proof blank.
Thanks. Will be helpful when ordering next barrel. Wish budget wasn't an issue but it comes into play. Thanks again

Which other manufacturers were you considering and are you satisfied with them?
To be honest I am pretty much Bartlein at this time for my personal rifles. Availability, cost, lead times all play a role. I ended up with the Brux because I was building the 22-250 for a friend and it was the only one we could fine in 12 twist everyone one else was 7 or 8 twist and he wanted to shoot 45 and 50g bullets and wanted a Sendero contour. Muller works was also available. He is the one asking for a CFW barrel for a 280 AI. He bought a savage in 300win and its not working out as well as he had hoped. My only concern with Bartlein CFW is they are relatively new. Proof has been around for years. But that also has its down falls how many manufactures have we seen fall by the wayside because they did not spend the money to retool or keep up with the newest tech. There is actually quite a bit of technology in carbon fiber. The way they weave it, the resin they use, how they layer it. I have a friend that works in aerospace and he always says give a chemist enough money and time he will make exactly what you want. Hopefully Bartlein got a good chemist.

one of my rifles is a Christensen Arms with a carbon wrapped barrel. Have no more than 150 rounds thru so jury is still out. So far so good but then again my Tikka is just as accurate. I can shoot many more rounds thru the CFW barrel before heat becomes an issue. Then again, we are talking production grade

Prs shooters are very picky. Don't kid yourself. Repeatable accuracy and durable. They just shoot cheap crap. Many of my friends are quite accomplished and run proof ss, not carbon. They use proof carbon on their hunters

The idea that all PRS and NRL shooters are sponsored and get free barrels I think is overblown. I'd bet it's a pretty small percentage of those shooter that are getting them for free.
My vote for "accuracy" goes to parshal. A friend of mine has been shooting very well in PRS for many years, and he says it is a myth that most shooters get free barrels or other rifle parts/accessories.

Any reports on the Benchmark CF barrels. Their button rifled steel barrels are hammers

Lots of good experience here. I like the idea of a Bartlien 2B due to weight and price. Finding nodes on steel is a pretty easy task with a quality barrel. What is everyone's experience finding nodes on steel vs carbon? Easier, harder or same? Are they picky?

Lots of good experience here. I like the idea of a Bartlien 2B due to weight and price. Finding nodes on steel is a pretty easy task with a quality barrel. What is everyone's experience finding nodes on steel vs carbon? Easier, harder or same? Are they picky?
I haven't noticed any of my carbon barrels being picky. Honestly, all the aftermarket barrel makers are so good these days, it's rare you don't get one that shoots.
One thing I do love about the carbon barrels is when I'm using my MagnettoSpeed during load work up. My POI doesn't change with the carbon barrels with it on, while I have a shift with my steel barrels. Even my Varmit contour stainless steel Krieger barrel shows a slight POI shift

I have a Christensen 6.5x284 that's a hammer, I have a few proofs that are hammers. Had one proof that was 250fps slow of where it should been, it's being replaced. Have a few Hells Canyon/Benchmarks that are hammers. Have a few bartleins that are solid performers. I'm currently getting to Pederson Precision carbons chambered, ones a Rock other is a Mullerworks. Who knows how they'll shoot. I'm optimistic.

what is the consensus on Carbon Six barrels vs proof research? Which one is consistently more accurate. I'm wanting to build either a 6.5 PRC or a 7 SAUM on a tikka action. Any advice would be great.

thanks
I have no experience with carbon six, but I can attest to proof barrels being wicked accurate.

Helix6 charges 1250$ for a carbon barrel, any you have them? I've heard of a few chambered that shoot well, but good gawd that's a lot of money. You can buy a Tikka action, carbon barrel and get it chambered for almost that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.