Carbon Barrel Suggestion

The idea that all PRS and NRL shooters are sponsored and get free barrels I think is overblown. I'd bet it's a pretty small percentage of those shooter that are getting them for free.
Do you think it has to do with availability? I use Bartlein because I can get them in 3 days in almost any contour and twist I need. They also are good shooting barrels and have not had a bad one yet. Proof research is for the most part available for $30 less. I've never used one though because the vendors that carry them with shipping added I can get a Bartlein.

Well lets be honest no body on that PRS list bought their barrel and I seriously doubt any of them are CFW. I'm not saying Proof is not good just that PRS is by no means a standard for quality.
I don't want to sound rude but you didn't read what was posted. The article clearly says none of the PROOF barrels were carbon wrapped, and he says quite a bit about that very detail.

Anyway, I posted because one person said they never heard of competition shooters using PROOF barrels, so I wanted to show that at least in 2018, there were more elite shooters in two long range shooting competitions using PROOF than any other manufacturer, including Bartlein (I'm defining elite as a top-10 finisher, but even if you went percentage wise for all finishers, it appears PROOF did the best.). So that's all I was saying, and I recognize that things may have changed in the past couple of years.

I don't want to sound rude but you didn't read what was posted. The article clearly says none of the PROOF barrels were carbon wrapped, and he says quite a bit about that very detail.

Anyway, I posted because one person said they never heard of competition shooters using PROOF barrels, so I wanted to show that at least in 2018, there were more elite shooters in two long range shooting competitions using PROOF than any other manufacturer, including Bartlein (I'm defining elite as a top-10 finisher, but even if you went percentage wise for all finishers, it appears PROOF did the best.). So that's all I was saying, and I recognize that things may have changed in the past couple o
I had saw that article and some of his follow up articles your are correct things are changing very fast in this industry. To be honest I was just replying because I need 10 post to reply to something in the for sale section. I figured this was the best thread to jump into because I was asked to look into a CFW barrel for a build and I have never worked with one. I wanted to see what everyone else though about the current selection.

If this is for a hunting rifle are you going to be able to find a stock that is somewhat light and has a M24 contour channel. I got my first M24 SS barrel this year and decided it was way to heavy even for competition. It also took a good bit of stock work to get it in a target stock. Sendero or Heavy Palma IMO is the best compromise. I do look forward to hearing the review of the CFW bart. I have been running 2b on both the 280Ai and 300win. 26in finished and have been happy with the results.
Yes. It fits the Iota Kremlin stock. 36oz stock while not the lightest, I like them. The barrel per Bartlein weighs 3.8lbs at 24"

@VLD Pilot , Then take a look at this article published almost two years ago. It shows that Proof barrels were the fastest growing in precision shooting market and their users were performing extremely well. https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/

Here's the applicable quote from the article.

Best Rifle Barrel

PROOF Research was the second most popular barrel brand among these top shooters, at 15.7%. That is more than double the amount of shooters they had represented the last time I published the barrel stats, hinting at a growing consumer confidence in their product. In fact, more top-10 shooters were using PROOF barrels than any other brand! They represented 50% of the top 10 shooters in the NRL, and 30% in the PRS.

When most people think of PROOF Research, they probably think of their carbon fiber barrels, but PROOF also produces traditional steel barrels – which is what 100% of these guys were running. I specifically asked all the guys running PROOF barrels if they were running a steel or carbon fiber barrel, and all of them were using steel barrels on their competition rifles, although a few of them said they run carbon fiber barrels on their hunting rifles. Daniel Bertocchini, who finished 23rd overall in the PRS, explained it pretty well: "The main reason guys are running steel over carbon is the added weight for most PRS competitions, but there are benefits to running carbon over steel especially when shedding weight is a concern." In precision rifle competitions, weight is often seen as a good thing, and I'll touch more on why later in this article.

PROOF Research actually purchased Lawrence Rifle Barrels in 2012, to bring cut-rifle barrel making in-house for better control of consistency and lead times. Even their carbon fiber barrels have a steel barrel as the liner, and while the steel liner is fairly thin they'd still be safe to fire without the carbon fiber wrap. The carbon fiber is simply there to add more rigidity without adding much weight. Below is an example showing the comparison of a traditional steel barrel and an example of a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Carbon Fiber vs Steel Barrel

There are different approaches to carbon fiber barrel wraps used by different companies. I go into the science behind that in a chapter I contributed to Bryan Litz's most recent book, Modern Advancements In Long Range Shooting Volume 2. I also put some carbon fiber barrels from PROOF Research and Christiansen Arms to the test to see how they compare to several traditional steel barrels of various contours, including a steel barrel from PROOF Research. I quantify group sizes, point of impact shift as the barrels heat up, overall barrel stiffness, and even measure how quickly the barrels heat up and cool off. It was the first large-scale study done on these kinds of barrels that I'm aware of, so if you're interested in this stuff you might check that out.
It's been several years since I saw a barrel preference listing. Obviously things have changed eh ? My bad. Is that based on use with there all steel barrels or CFW or combination ? Sorry just read the entire article. Thanks for sharing.

The idea that all PRS and NRL shooters are sponsored and get free barrels I think is overblown. I'd bet it's a pretty small percentage of those shooter that are getting them for free.

O they for sure are getting most of their product for free. You would be surprised by how willing companies are to send competitors free stuff. However, I doubt anyone is running a brand they don't stand behind. However I have had personal conversations with some of these guys and have heard great things about proof.

I know some get free barrels. But, not all folks sponsored by the manufacturers are getting their products for free. Many get a discount. The way this gets tossed around on boards everyone would assume that half the competitors are getting free equipment. That's just not the case.

I'd go with Carbon Six. I have one in 338 and it shoots amazing, broke in fairly quickly and cleans up easy. I have 2 Proof barrels, one in 28 Nosler the other on a gas gun in 6.5 Grendel. Both shoot lights out but I still prefer the Carbon Six.

I know some get free barrels. But, not all folks sponsored by the manufacturers are getting their products for free. Many get a discount. The way this gets tossed around on boards everyone would assume that half the competitors are getting free equipment. That's just not the case.
Yeah definitely not half. I would assume at least the top 50 were. Not everything obviously but the major components.

The top 50 would be half, wouldn't it? The national NRL matches I've been to have had about 100 shooters.

Maybe this deserves it's own thread so as not to derail this. I'm real curious to hear from sponsored shooters.

Everyone, I mean everyone I know that has a Proof Research barrel has been completely happy with zero negatives. A member told me he could get me a Proof barrel for 685.00 including shipping. He said he had what I needed. I chose Bartlein just because they basically for the lack of an actual reason besides previous use of their product, a coin flip. I'm certain it's not going to be a decision I'll regret. In fact, my next CFW barrel will be a Proof even if I'm exdatic about the Bartlein. Always wanted one and being my next build will be a 300 PRC, may wear a Proof barrel.

Just out of curiosity, did Brux shut down or just never updated their equipment? I've never had one but know a few guys who had them and were satisfied. Keep in mind, I'm one of the senior members on this site. Not by expertise but by age.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.