Carbon Barrel Suggestion

More details please? My McGowen barrels outshoot my proofs. By a lot.
Thats cuz proof barrels aren't that great, they're marketed quite highly. Like patron in 2005, excellent marketing, tasted like piś. Find the right combo of load components charge, jump, and consistency in those processes and a P0S remington or Savage barrel will shoot. In my opinion either a barrel shoots decent with a lot of combos and great with a few, other situation the barrel shoots poorly until you find optimum and it shoots good. That barrels not good and the same as an oem.

More details please? My McGowen barrels outshoot my proofs. By a lot.
I have one McGowan thats a real shooter, the other 3 I've owned were not.
Copper fouling was an issue on all of them, as was inconsistent accuracy.
McGowan does not make a high-quality barrel, they aren't even lapped, and based on what I experienced with poi shifts I doubt they're stress relieved.

While I've heard McGowen is hit or miss. I've not seen a single negative about carbon six. Dunno if they're doing anything other than turning them down. But for the money I'm not sure there is a better carbon alternative. My proof hammers but it's an 1100 barrel at the end of the day. Pretty steep in the price department despite them having come down, for blanks that is.

While I've heard McGowen is hit or miss. I've not seen a single negative about carbon six. Dunno if they're doing anything other than turning them down. But for the money I'm not sure there is a better carbon alternative. My proof hammers but it's an 1100 barrel at the end of the day. Pretty steep in the price department despite them having come down, for blanks that is.
You should try a mullerworks carbon wrapped by pederson Precision, they're only 620$, finish is excellent. Might not be quite as pretty as a proof, but I bet it'll shoot better! MW barrels are pretty highly regarded in BR crowd. Don't hear about proof, McGowan or even bartlein there. It's usually Blake, Lilja, benchmark or Mullerworks.

You should try a mullerworks carbon wrapped by pederson Precision, they're only 620$, finish is excellent. Might not be quite as pretty as a proof, but I bet it'll shoot better! MW barrels are pretty highly regarded in BR crowd. Don't hear about proof, McGowan or even bartlein there. It's usually Blake, Lilja, benchmark or Mullerworks.
Mullerworks isn't new to me i have lots of prs friends that run them. I didn't know anyone was carbon wrapping them though I'm glad to hear there is a cheaper alternative to proof or bartlein. Do they offer prefits that cheap? That's why i was bragging on carbon six. That tikka barrel i ordered was shouldered prefit chambered and threaded. To the door for $680. That's cheaper than a steel blank once chambered and threaded.

Last F class event i went to there were lots of bartleins honestly. King of the 2 mile also won by Robert with a bartlein. I'd say it this point is probably fair to say bartlein is one of the most successful barrel makers in the industry. I do think prs and gap propelled them to popularity but that's the majority of what we run down here and they just shoot. Maybe not the fastest barrel. Always heard mullerworks were fast but wasn't sure if people were running tight necks or they just did something different in the process.

I have one McGowan thats a real shooter, the other 3 I've owned were not.
Copper fouling was an issue on all of them, as was inconsistent accuracy.
McGowan does not make a high-quality barrel, they aren't even lapped, and based on what I experienced with poi shifts I doubt they're stress relieved.

According to McGowen they are hand lapped and stress relieved. So any other information on why their barrels are "inferior?"

Mullerworks isn't new to me i have lots of prs friends that run them. I didn't know anyone was carbon wrapping them though I'm glad to hear there is a cheaper alternative to proof or bartlein. Do they offer prefits that cheap? That's why i was bragging on carbon six. That tikka barrel i ordered was shouldered prefit chambered and threaded. To the door for $680. That's cheaper than a steel blank once chambered and threaded.

Last F class event i went to there were lots of bartleins honestly. King of the 2 mile also won by Robert with a bartlein. I'd say it this point is probably fair to say bartlein is one of the most successful barrel makers in the industry. I do think prs and gap propelled them to popularity but that's the majority of what we run down here and they just shoot. Maybe not the fastest barrel. Always heard mullerworks were fast but wasn't sure if people were running tight necks or they just did something different in the process.
No prefits from them, especially for that price! That's a smoking good deal. I have had 4 bartleins so far and none have blown me away with their ability. Ones a steel 3 carbon. Their carbon wrap looks the worst out of all I've had. There's gaps, rough finish, just rugged looking. Run a microfiber towel down it and you'll have carbon slivers in the town and chuck of cloth on the imperfections on the barrel. This has been my observations on all but 1. I've had 5 in my possession. Hopefully bartlein breaks a few molds with the new alloy, and it becomes the norm.

. Don't hear about proof, McGowan or even bartlein there. It's usually Blake, Lilja, benchmark or Mullerworks.
I dont know BR crowd your referring to but kinda left out Kreiger and Brux.
Look at the IBS national equipment list.

I have Proof and CarbonSix, both shoot great. I have a .20 cal Stand Alone CF blank on order. $500 Black Friday deal. The owner was great to deal with.
He is a great guy to deal with. I got a barrel from him over a year ago, believe it was a green mountain blank. The fit/chamber/exterior was great. However it copper fowled horribly and the throat on a supposed 6.5 prc saami is way short. Both factory forms of ammo jammed hard. I never posted any frustrations or anything like that as he was just starting to make bolt gun barrels. I believe he went to a different vendor for blanks as that was his plan. I'll be interested to hear your findings. Mine was a Tikka prefit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.