Canting - the right answer

[ QUOTE ]
I've had a Eureka moment.

Standby…

I've been having trouble with the idea being mooted here that at 500yds, the effect of a 10 deg cant for a rifle zeroed at 1000yds is roughly 10 times bigger than for a rifle zeroed at 100yds ………to use JBMs figures:

At 500yds
100yd zero 10 deg cant: x = 3.3" y = -0.2"
1000yd zero 10 deg cant: x = 31.25" y = -2.76"

This has been, for me, been entirely counter-intuitive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .
The effect should be the same in both examples……

[/ QUOTE ]

It's entirely intuitive to me and I think it would be to you (maybe not -- many people think of the same problem many different ways...) if you understand about what is happening when you cant. A certain part of the elevation angle is transformed under rotation to a new elevation angle and new azimuth angle. The more elevation angle you have, the more azimuth angle you end up with after rotation. That's why the zero range matters.

Look at what Gustavo posted:

[ QUOTE ]

100 yds ZERO

500(x) = 03.27"
500(y) = 47.30"

1000 yds zero

500(x) = 030.80"
500(y) = 108.84"

drop (500) = 65.8"

[/ QUOTE ]

For different zeroes he shows different cant -- by about a factor of 10. As I've said before, this agrees closely with my answers. So we have three methods (my derivation, the formulas Gustavo posted and my online calculator) saying almost the exact same thing.

[ QUOTE ]

..I'm embarrassed to say, it was only this morning whilst walking the dog, that the reason for the error in these calculations popped into my head:

Bottom Line Upfront: JBM et al; the erroneously low '100yd zero' values you are producing are caused by the fact that you are basing your calculations on the fired QE (Quadrant Elevation)………..you should be basing them on the TE (Tangent Elevation) at the target range.
…..QE is an irrelevance in cant calculations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not erroneous. The error caused by canting is entirely dependent on the angle between the bore and the line of sight (within the limits of the flat fire approximation which is very good for everything were talking about here). If it's zero you get no error due to canting. That was the whole point of showing the difference between the two zero ranges.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's why cant effect calculations 'factoring in zero distance' are erroneous (and I hope you will see, counter intuitive):

[/ QUOTE ]

Zero distance only enters into it because that effects what I call the elevation angle -- the angle between the barrel bore and the line of sight.

[ QUOTE ]

Had the 500yd target been set up in a 47.5" dip in the ground (ie a small gully 4ft lower than the firing point) a rifle fired at the '100yd zero' QE of 3.98 MOA would have resulted in a target round.
ie the rifle would now be zeroed at 500yds

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the rifle is still zeroed at 100 yards, you just aimed 47.5" high at 500 yards.

[ QUOTE ]

So,
QE = 3.98 MOA produces a 100yd zero when AS (angle of sight) is zero
And
QE = 3.98 MOA produces a 500yd zero when the target is 4ft below horizontal

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not zeroed. All you're saying is that you'll shoot low when shooting past the zero range. I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

I hope you can now see that it is entirely counter-intuitive to assume that when we call QE 3.98 the '100yd zero' it will produce a smaller cant error than the same QE when we call it '500yd zero (target 4ft below horizontal)'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canting error is produced by a rotation about the line of sight, the bore of the scope. The angle that matters is the angle between the line of sight and the bore because it's the cause of the error.

Take a look at the formulas Gustavo posted:

[ QUOTE ]

The formulas Gustavo posted take this into account:

X(R)=H(R)*sin ß
Y(R)=H(R)*cos ß - Drop(R)

where H(R) is the height of bore line in relation to sight
line, as a function of range R:

H(R) = R/R0*(SH + Drop0)- SH

SH = sight height
R = range
R0 = zero range
Drop0 = drop at zero

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the factor R/R0*(SH + Drop0) - SH. This can also be written R*Elev - SH, where Elev is the elevation (angle between the bore and the line of sight), because (SH + Drop0)/R0 is the amount you raise the barrel to zero at range R0 (again to within the flat fire approximation)

Now, X(R) = H(R)*sin(B) = R*Elev*sin(B) - SH*sin(B)
and, Y(R) = H(R)*cos(B) - Drop(R) = R*Elev*cos(B) - SH*cos(B) - Drop(R)

or if you substitute

e' = Elev*cos(b)
a' = Elev*sin(b)

You have

X(R) = R*e' - SH*sin(B)
Y(R) = R*a' - SH*cos(B) - Drop(R)

I think you could, with good agreement, use my formulas that I originally posted and find e' and a', then plug these into Gustavo's posted formulas and you should get about the same answers. Again, I don't know what Gustavo, et. al. are using for Drop(R) so there may be some difference there too.

The only problem I have with these equations -- the only problem I've EVER had with these equations -- is what is essentially a new elevation and azimuth of Elev*cos(B) and Elev*sin(B). It's not entirely correct. The actual angles under a rotation are what I've shown in my first post. These are very close, but they aren't entirely correct. I ONLY brought it up because I have ballistics book(s) saying that it's an approximation and that it may not work at longer ranges and this is after all LongRangeHunting.Com. If this were ShortRangeHunting.Com I wouldn't have ever posted.

JBM

JBM,

Thanks for your patience! Totally understand your reasoning.

..I would have thought that my earlier powerpoint slides show that I'm singing off the same song sheet regarding cant producing Az and El changes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

….I think where my thinking has diverged (quite possibly due to an assumption on my part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!) is in the practical application of this.

………clearly, if you set your sight at a 100yd zero, adopt the prone position and attempt to hit a target that is horizontally 500yds away from you all you'll do is carve mud furrows somewhere between you and the target.

………As such quantifying Az and El changes relating to canting the set 100yd QE, when used at 500yds, is not of much practical use.

……my point, (or my dissonance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, or my reasoning problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) comes when (or if!) you are proposing to use the 100yd zero cant data whilst hitting a 500yd target (using your 100yd zero scope; either because the target is in a 4ft dip, or because you have aimed 'up' by 4ft)

….in that instance, the fact that the rifle/scope has a 100yd zero becomes irrelevant. The cant effect will relate to the 500yd TE and be the same as if the rifle were zeroed at 500 yds……the 'boreline' to'100yd zero scope angle' is no longer relevant, ( if you're hitting the target and not ploughing furrows ) the cant effect has to be calculated in relation to the fired TE at that target range.

….I think my reasoning was drawn this way because at some point someone mentioned using this data to aim off using dots on their reticle.

….apologies, the rabbit-hole was mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif….

While all of this is fascinating, have any of you done any sort of useful test--like measuring your maximum cant error when "keeping the crosshairs square to the world" is on your mental checklist before taking a shot? Like I said before,
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I could shoot a rifle canted at 10 degrees unless somebody had just hit me in the head with a hammer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, what are the realistic errors one could expect vs. the nice round 10 degree figure?

JonA, I've been watching this thread for quite a while. It's got more than interesting; closer to amazing.

My bottom line is, just multiply the bullet drop at the target range by the sine of the cant angle. The error in the answer from "exactamundo" (means to 43,210 decimal places) from all the math, sight height, et al, in this thread is much smaller than your holding errors and rifle/ammo accuracy.

Bart,
I agree.

JBM, Tiro et al,

My previous post was addressing this issue (as posted by Tirofijo):
[ QUOTE ]
But when you have a hunting rifle you don't normally change the scope's settings, so you may take a shot at 400 m even if your zero is 200 m using holdovers. In this case the angle between LOS and bore line corresponds to the 200 m zero and the effect of canting would be smaller than if the rifle was zeroed at 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

To which the short answer is 'No!!!!!' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for all the reasons given in my previous post.

As soon as you apply holdover you are, in effect, re-zeroing to the new target range.

The error of reasoning here is based in the fact that people have fixated on the angle between the boreline and the 'zeroed at X yds scope'.

When you are hitting a target at a given range; the critical angle for the purposes of cant effect calculations is:

[boreline's elevation relative to a horizontal datum (ie its Quadrant Elevation)] MINUS [True Angle of Sight to the Target (ie AS)] = Tangent Elevation [The tangent Elevation being that part of the QE that has been applied to account for the bullet's drop at that distance.]

(Sorry, but it's dawned on me that people are not understanding the terms 'QE', 'TE' and 'AS' …….perhaps they don't translate well across the pond! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif]

....which Bart neatly summarises as: [ QUOTE ]
just multiply the bullet drop at the target range by the sine of the cant angle

[/ QUOTE ] (bullet drop at a given range being another way of quantifying the TE)

You all (not Bart!) need 'Red Leg' [a US term that I know won't require transatlantic translation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif] advice; not more formulae /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

My previous post was addressing this issue (as posted by Tirofijo):
[ QUOTE ]
But when you have a hunting rifle you don't normally change the scope's settings, so you may take a shot at 400 m even if your zero is 200 m using holdovers. In this case the angle between LOS and bore line corresponds to the 200 m zero and the effect of canting would be smaller than if the rifle was zeroed at 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

To which the short answer is 'No!!!!!' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for all the reasons given in my previous post.

As soon as you apply holdover you are, in effect, re-zeroing to the new target range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we're agreeing here, but I don't think so. Zeroing is defined as where the bullet crosses the line of sight. If you hold over this doesn't change so holding over doesn't change the zero. It also doesn't change the angle between the bore and the line of sight -- the cause of the canting error.

[ QUOTE ]

The error of reasoning here is based in the fact that people have fixated on the angle between the boreline and the 'zeroed at X yds scope'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that is what causes the cant error. You're rotating the firearm around the line of sight. It's the angle relative to the line of sight that causes the error.

[ QUOTE ]

When you are hitting a target at a given range; the critical angle for the purposes of cant effect calculations is:

[boreline's elevation relative to a horizontal datum (ie its Quadrant Elevation)] MINUS [True Angle of Sight to the Target (ie AS)] = Tangent Elevation [The tangent Elevation being that part of the QE that has been applied to account for the bullet's drop at that distance.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you defining the Tangent Elevation as the angle between the bore and the line of sight? If so I agree. If not, please derive this and post it somewhere so we can see it.

[ QUOTE ]

You all (not Bart!) need 'Red Leg' [a US term that I know won't require transatlantic translation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif] advice; not more formulae /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Heaven forbid we should understand what is going on.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you defining the Tangent Elevation as the angle between the bore and the line of sight? If so I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am! ...Well maybe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...if by 'Line of Sight' you mean the straight line between the firing point and target.

[ QUOTE ]
you are, in effect, re-zeroing to the new target range

[/ QUOTE ] I understand exactly what you say about the definition of zeroing; perhaps my language is untidy; what I'm intending as the meaning is "the net effect is that the round hits the intended target; just as it would have if you had zeroed at this range"

[ QUOTE ]
Because that is what causes the cant error. You're rotating the firearm around the line of sight. It's the angle relative to the line of sight that causes the error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha!! I have the cause of our differing views:

Your calculations assume that, despite the cant, the holdover has been applied perfectly vertically.

Mine assume that the holdover has been applied with the same error as the cant angle.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

.....obviously, I'm the one that's right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JBM, please let me know what data you are requiring in order to check the results. I'm saying this because in a previos post, you mentioned that "only final results" are showed and I wonder what else do you need.

This canting game is getting better by the minute!

JBM,

For info;

These are the Definitions I've grown up using; I doubt they're very different from the US equivalents (a relevant selection cut-and-pasted from Brit publication "Artillery Training Volume II, Basic Principles and Theory, Pamphlet No.14, Part 3: Ballistics. 1979"..........still the current version!!).

……disturbed by how close to 'rote' my earlier LOS definition was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Definitions of lines:

Line of sight. The line of sight is the straight line passing through the weapon and the target.

Definitions of planes:

Vertical plane of sight is the vertical plane through the weapon containing the line of sight.

Horizontal plane. The horizontal plane at a given reference point is the tangent to the circumference of the earth at that point.

Definition of angles:

Angle of sight (AS). The vertical acute angle measured from the horizontal plane passing through the weapon to the line of sight.

Quadrant elevation (QE). The elevation at which the gun is required to be laid under the prevailing conditions to achieve the desired range.

Tangent elevation (TE). The vertical acute angle measured from the line of sight to the weapon axis.

[and I'll add the reminder that QE = TE + AS]

[ QUOTE ]
SNIP

Line of sight. The line of sight is the straight line passing through the weapon and the target.SNIP

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this not be passing through the weapon SIGHT and the target? If not then LOS is just "bore sighted", or did I miss something here?

edge.

Edge,

Not in ballistic 'speak' ...well on my side of the pond at least.

...I think some of the confusion here has crept in because it's been used in that way.

'Line of Sight' describes the spatial relationship between rifle and target in the Vertical Plane of Sight.

....the clearest way of illustrating this would be to state that, if you aim off-target to apply holdover, the scope is no longer pointing on the (in ballistic speak) line of sight.

The sight is just a pointing device that you set at such an angle that, when you point it at the target (along the line of sight), you cause the barrel to be elevated relative to the horizontal plane to the required (hopefully!) QE to hit the target.

.....as soon as the sight no longer points at the target, it no longer lies on the Line of Sight to that target.

[I have to admit, that earlier in this thread, I was using the term 'Angle of Sight' to describe this definition of LOS (since LOS seemed to be being used to mean 'where the scope's pointing' rather than the weapon-target relationship)....perhaps an earlier clarification of definitions may have been prudent!]

Brown Dog,

I agree 100% with your last response, ie: the sight is aimed at the target, and the bore is pointed in a direction that allows for drop and windage.

Using your "definitions" from the previous post the sight was not mentioned in the LOS which made it appear to me that the bore was aimed at the target, which would almost never be the case.

edge.

JBM,

[ QUOTE ]
I've put a derivation of my equations on my website at cant if anybody is interested.
JBM

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am...
A question, though. On that page, your unit vectors v (=no cant) and v'(=with cant) both start in the origin of your X,Y,Z coordinate system, right?
But when canting, i.e. rotating the bore around the sight line, the muzzle of the rifle (=the origin of your XYZ coordinate system) moves as well.

Going to extremes to show what I mean: if you have 2" between the bore and the scope, and rotate 180 degr, the bullet starts 2" ABOVE the sight line, not below.
So, yes, the Az and El angles change, but so does the location of the muzzle.
Or do you take this into account in another way?

[my wife just caught me looking at your pages and started complaining that I spend too much time on my work. No, Dear, I read this sinus / cosinus / vector dot product stuff for fun... ]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.