The Answer muzzle brake

Old Coach

I want to put a brake on my 300 Win-Mag.
Does anyone know about a brake called -The Answer-
It is supposed to be not as loud as other brakes and looks nice on the bbl.
I need to know if it works as advertised.
THANKS
Coach

They are louder than any partition style brake I've ever used....and I mean loud.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a quiet brake but of the 5 different kinds of brakes used Sam's is the loudest.

THANKS
Coach

I think Kirby allen makes the neatest looking muzzle brake. Contact him.

James

THANKS
Coach
Do you want maximum braking effect or slim/trim good looks???

Given the way brakes work, the ones with the baffle type construction are the most efficient. Kirby of APS makes a new line of brakes called "Painkiller" brakes. I believe he has or will have 3 different sizes and I can tell you they are very efficient and effective at reducing recoil. They are not the slim/trim contoured to the barrel types but they are the best design I've used for reducing recoil.

You can see a little test I did here: Link--> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/testing-aps-painkiller-muzzle-brake-31231/

Also see here on Painkiller brakes: Link--> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/painkiller-muzzle-brake-30981/

You can also check out the last post in this thread: Link --> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/allen-mag-shooters-group-18433/index41.html

Here are a couple pics of the Painkiller muzzle brakes that have been mentioned already.

100_0248.jpg

100_0246.jpg

100_0245.jpg

These are the unfinished brakes just finished being CNC machined. Finished brakes have much different look. Here are examples of the large 5 port PK muzzle brake suitable for muzzle diameters from 0.800" to around 1.000" diameter. The medium size 3 port brake are usible on muzzle diameters from around 0.660" up to around 0.900". The small 3 port PK is for muzzle diameters from .590" up to 0.750".

Thread specs are 3/4x28 tpi, 5/8x28 tpi and 9/16x28 tpi.

All three sizes should be in shop within a week or so.

Muzzle brakes work on muzzle pressure and the area that the escaping gases act upon.

The higher the muzzle pressure, the higher the gas volume and the larger the surface area that the brake has for the gas to act against will increase the effectiveness of the muzzle brake.

There are other factors as well, such as partition wall angles to the axis of the bore, partition vent volume. The smaller the volume of the ports, the faster higher velocity the escaping gas will exit the brake at. The larger the ports, the slower the gas will leave the brake but there is a fine line. If the ports are to large, the escaping gas volume pressure will drop before it can act on the surfaces of the muzzle brake.

If the port volumes are to small, there generally will not be enough area for the gas to act against

All brakes redirect muzzle blast in a direction that is at a closer angle tothe shooter then a non braked muzzle, this is simply fact. It is also fact that on average, the louder the muzzle brake, the more effective it is at reducing recoil. ON AVERAGE that is.

Partition style brakes are the loudest brake designs, they are also the most effective at reducing recoil and they are the best for use in field shooting positions such as prone as they generally have solid bottoms to protect the shooter from ground debris much better then a radial port muzzle brake such as a KDF or Vias.

It is true that the longer the barrel is, the "quieter" the muzzle blast may seem. Yes, it is because the muzzle pressure is a bit lower and the escaping muzzle gas is a bit slower in velocity but it also is because the longer barrel puts the shock wave blast cone farther away from the shooter. If you were sitting next to a braked rifle with a 32" barrel and one with a 28" barrel, it would not seem much quieter!! But to the shooter it seems much quieter.

Falling back to muzzle pressure, the higher the muzzle pressure the more effective the muzzle brake will be at reducing recoil for any given design. That is why high intensity specialty handguns can be chambered in full blown rifle chamberings and basically have zero felt recoil, even less felt recoil then that same chambering would have in a sporter weight, braked rifle with the same chambering which would weigh several pounds more.

THe idea behind my muzzle brakes are that they are designed for specific classes of case volumes and bore sizes and the port sizes are designed for this as well. They are also designed with a very aggressive 30 degree back angle on the ports.

THey are designed for one purpose, aggressive recoil reduction without being hard to look at. No doubt they are aggressive in appearance and I am sure to aggressive looking for some out there. And for those that feel that way, there are a load of quality brakes out there that will work great.

There are great muzzle brakes for every purpose and appearance desires. Simply put however, the partition style brakes will be more effective at reducing felt recoil in nearly every instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.