On the right tract?

gabby

Hi, I'm new here and wanted to get your opinon. I just sent off a rifle to Kevin Weaver to have rebarreled to 25-06AI. I don't know what brand of barrel yet but I want a 24", stainless, in a 9 twist. I ordered some Wildcat bullets - 130 gr.uld rbbt. As long as these will fit the magazine, I plan to have the barrel throated to them. This rifle will be mainly for Mule Deer and Antelope with a slight possiblity for Elk. Does this sound like a plan or would you opt for something else?
Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Sounds to me as if you are on the right track.

Ain't nothing adverse about the 25-06. Especially the AI version.

My personal preference for a barrel would be a Lilja #4 contour. That would be just a schoshie bit sporter barrel and a length of 27". I only say this as I have a 270 WIN with such a barrel on it and she approaches WSM velocities and is good on the animals of which you mention out to 850 or so, NOT including the elk. 5 or 550 on the elk would be a max range, I think, unless he was fenced in:D

With your better BC it should reach out and do some touching.

Good luck and good hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.