cant see in my barrel

Jimm

no, theres nothing in it i just dont have a device that would let me examine my chamber ,throat ,bore.what are yall using? are there pictures that show eroded throats vs good ones?same for thye lands and grooves. my gun is 30 years old,maybe i dont want to know,as always thanks, jimm

Jimm,
To see what you are wanting to, requires a bore scope; which is not inexpensive! Given that you have a rifle this old, and have some doubts, I'd rebarrel if I was going to do any serious shooting with it. Check with your local Gunsmith. If they don't have one, I'd bet he knows who does.

Jimm,

What make, and caliber is this rifle?

Best bet take it to a reputable gunsmith with Hawkeye borescope, or equivalent, and the rest of the troubleshooting gear...Have the headspace checked, and the throat measured..An untrained eye could waste a lot of money buying a gadget such as an endoscope, if you're going to go to the trouble of purchasing a borescope, just as well have the smith rebarrel the rifle. One thing a guy can try on his own is cleaning the barrel, to the bare bones..

Some people seem to find it hard to believe that barrels wear out..Think of them like light bulbs, when they burn out, replace them..No need to buy another rifle, just replace the part, it is a wear part..

Edited because I may have missed the point...

If your rifle is 1MOA capable, which is 2" at 200 yds, that's good for factory, and if you 'just want to know where you stand', take it into a reputable gunsmith and see if he has the gaging to tell you what you want to know about the rifle's internal measurements..If you feel you want it to shoot more consistently, have a chat about bedding and recrowning..

sorry if I read more into this than necessary!!

JR

jr, it is a remington 700 300winnie.however the barrel is a stainless and is so marked. it is a factory barrel and one of the earliest attempts by rem. to offer them.i have had the rifle for 25 or 6 years and i got it used. it was my understanding at the time that it was 6 or 7 years old then.dont know when rem first offered stainless barrels that would probably help date it.it is anodized blue dull not stainless in color. med wt. bbl. , and i have managed to adjust the trigger to a crisp 3 lbs.with absolutely minimal takeup or overtravel.i did put a synthetic stock on it that was a preproduction cull made for remington by a fellow in my area.the bbl shows a stock wear line on both sides of the bbl from just forward of the receiver to within 2" of the forearm tip.theres one more thing i have to tell you that is probably enough to have me excommunicated from this site. gulp, here goes... i havent cleaned it other than a dry brush at the beginning of each season for all these years.and yes it does shoot that good wit my handload of 70 grs. of imr 4350 win or rem brass and ccimag primers ,nosler 180bt seated 3.340. i do weigh each charge to the line.so i guess i scared to do anything to it.maybe i should just have a custom rifle built to continue on my quest for a one holer!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.