Inside my new Criterion barrel

RODSTRADLEY

Just cleaned my new 6.5 Cm barrel twice with nylon brush and patches with Butch's bore shine and here are the results. I think it is lead? I have written Criterion and no return from them but I haven't given up on them. After the 3rd and 4th time with a bronze chamber brush it looks a lot better. Is it lead from lapping or what?
PHO00010.JPG
PHO00011.JPG
PHO00009.JPG
PHO00025.JPG
PHO00024.JPG

I retract my post. I just peered into a new Krieger freshly chambered with my Hawkeye, the Teslong is at a friends so I can't snap pics.
Clean, yours looks better than mine.

Last edited:
You suspect lead from lapping - Was the barrel lapped after it was chambered? I asked because whatever that material/residue is, it is in the throat and leade, and I thought barrels were usually lapped before being chambered.

Last edited:
You suspect lead from lapping - Was the barrel lapped after it was chambered? I asked because whatever that material/residue is, it is in the throat and leade, and I thought barrels were usually lapped before being chambered.
I thought so too but I will find out.

Sometimes that is the cleaner left in there reflecting and looking like slime. I'd spray with brake cleaner and dry patch out well. I borescope all mine and they look that way when I haven't got them dry enough. Then it sticks to the borescope mirror and it's obvious what it is. Good luck
I just cleaned it one more time and then cleaned it with acetone and it took care of the spots that were there. Thanks a bunch Rod

Sometimes that is the cleaner left in there reflecting and looking like slime. I'd spray with brake cleaner and dry patch out well. I borescope all mine and they look that way when I haven't got them dry enough. Then it sticks to the borescope mirror and it's obvious what it is. Good luck
Will brake cleaner do anything to the Blueing?

Will brake cleaner do anything to the Blueing?
I only have messed with 10 or so cm barrels, so I don't have a good answer. 99% sure it doesn't, because I cleaned them in acetone, but I'll defer to more knowledgeable guys.

OP, really glad you got it fixed.

If you are talking about the CRC product brakkleen it's not so user friendly and has tri-clore in it so over time it's not so steel friendly either .

You are correct wonderman4 it's tetrachlorethylene 127-18-4 that CRC Brakleen has in it . It needs to be used with caution at any rate with good ventilation and not around heat or open flames . If it is used around welding process's it creates phosgene and hydrogen chloride as well as being heated it does the same . Phosgene is a nerve agent and hydrogen chloride when it enters metals at the right temperatures creates hydrogen embrittlement around the grain boundaries in the micro structure of the metal

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.