cant decide

Gator26

ok so i really would love to get a sendero in 300 rum but right now i dont think i will be able to scrape my nickels and dimes together and get it but i was at the local store and they have a vanguard 7mm mag for 390 , i have been told good things about these rifles just havent had one yet my question is off the money i would save just geting this rifle instead of the sendero (about 900 differnce) could i get a good start on makeing this a long range rig for elk out to say 700? thanks alot guys

if collection of nickels and dimes is a concern, and i know that all too well, i would say get the 7mm. with some tuning and a little TLC, i would be highly surprised if it couldn't hammer elk at 700.

Last edited:
Hello,

Will they do a layaway for you Just another thought. If I had a sendero 300 RUM for sale, I would do the layaway for ya. Since cash flow is tight these days, I imagine they will do the layaway.

LV

im not sure if they will or not but im gonna give it a shot , another idea i had was instead of settling for something other then what i really want and since i wotn be useing this rifle anytime soon i might try to get an action and start from scratch that way i can have something i really want exactly how i want it so now i guess i need to hunt for the action. Anyone have and idea on what they think is the BEST long range elk round, recoil and weight do not matter .

im not sure if they will or not but im gonna give it a shot , another idea i had was instead of settling for something other then what i really want and since i wotn be useing this rifle anytime soon i might try to get an action and start from scratch that way i can have something i really want exactly how i want it so now i guess i need to hunt for the action. Anyone have and idea on what they think is the BEST long range elk round, recoil and weight do not matter .

Hello again,

Try the layaway plan. The Senderos shoot very well. For a custom, pick a BAT and never look back.

LV

Anyone have and idea on what they think is the BEST long range elk round, recoil and weight do not matter.

That opens up a huge can of worms! I'll start the bidding with the 300win mag.

In terms of the rest of your project, I'm a fan of the Remington SPS models. They're fairly inexpensive (~$500). All they initially need is a new stock as the ones they come with are junk . A decent stock will cost you $150+.

Mount your scope on it (assume you already have a scope), and have a gunsmith tune the trigger for ~$60. Then take it out and shoot it. If you're lucky, it will shoot well (I've got two SPS - .308 and .223 and both shoot moa or better).

Project total at this point ~$710

If your rifle does not shoot well or you're just not satisfied with them. You can have it rebarrelled for ~$650.

Project total ~$1360

FYI...I talk the talk and walk the walk...http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-a-32771/

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.