Cant get my 7mm rum Sendero to group

I had a buddy who had someone give him his sendero in 7 rum because he was having trouble grouping it. He basically ended up doing some trigger work, lapped the scope, and re-bedded and floated the barrel. Now the thing drives tacks. Probably worth it to try working with the load before you start going through that stuff

Ok well I worked the load a little bit and out of a 5 shot group I can get the last 3 to group 0.75 but the first 2 shots are not even coming close so I don't know what's going on now.

after reading this post my gut feeling is the scope with parallax issues or the bullets are on the hairy edge of stabilization. i can assure you the best fix for it is putting a 338 barrel on it!

I've been shooting 300wm's for 15 years with a 1 in 10 twist. They all shot equally well with bullets ranging from 125 to over 180. One bullet manufacturer recommended at least 1-10 for their 180 solid copper bullets.

I've been shooting 300wm's for 15 years with a 1 in 10 twist. They all shot equally well with bullets ranging from 125 to over 180. One bullet manufacturer recommended at least 1-10 for their 180 solid copper bullets.
What does this have to do with a 7mm Rum sendero?

Check your stock clearance.Sounds like heat may be causing some problems if the groups consistently change after two shots.

Ok well I worked the load a little bit and out of a 5 shot group I can get the last 3 to group 0.75 but the first 2 shots are not even coming close so I don't know what's going on now.

Did you fire fouling shots before your 5? If not I would bet that's the issue. Try the same load with a fouled barrel. I know that all of my rifles (factory) need to be fouled before they shoot well. The more rounds down the tube the less fouling is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.