Cant problem

Powdeer

Hi! new guy from Sweden here. I have a remmy in a KRG Bravo stock. Right know my scope and picatinny is level with reality but not the stock. The problem seems to be that the chassi isnt straight with the stock, its not a big error but I notice it while shooting. I have to tilt the stock so the bubble on the scope gets straight and tge shooting position gets a little bit off. Latet I will try to fix this so both the stock and optic is leveled with reality. But what is most important know? Should I line up the scope with the stock so both are straight with reality but not the chassi and barrel or just let it be for know? I have bed it later on to get it straight in stock.

Hi! new guy from Sweden here. I have a remmy in a KRG Bravo stock. Right know my scope and picatinny is level with reality but not the stock. The problem seems to be that the chassi isnt straight with the stock, its not a big error but I notice it while shooting. I have to tilt the stock so the bubble on the scope gets straight and tge shooting position gets a little bit off. Latet I will try to fix this so both the stock and optic is leveled with reality. But what is most important know? Should I line up the scope with the stock so both are straight with reality but not the chassi and barrel or just let it be for know? I have bed it later on to get it straight in stock.
Purchase an EXD engineering reticle level from Brownells and use the plumb line and flashlight method and you will know you are perfectly level.

I noticed this same thing with my rifles. How I naturally shoulder the rifle is actually slightly crooked. So I always have to correct to get my bubble level on my scope sitting flat. As I shoot more my position has improved to where it's barely crooked when I should it.

What is important is that you have your reticle pointing at the exact center of your bore, and that your reticle is level when you shoot. I described how I make sure the reticle is lined up with the bore in the thread linked below. I use a scope level when shooting to make sure my reticle is level.

My rifles shoot perfect (no left or right change) at 100 yds and 1,000 yds and everywhere in between. My permanent scope level is not cheap but the only things I need to mount a scope straight are a home-made plumb-bob and some (free) paper targets I print out myself.

People will tell you about how great their device or system is when they never shoot at 600 yds or more and therefore have no clue how straight their scope is. Or they'll say, "Yeah, my POI shifts as I increase range but that is due to 'spin-drift.'"

No, they just don't have their scope on straight.

There are two parts. First, you gotta get your scope mounted so that the reticle points at the exact center of the bore. I'll take trial and error over a gadget for this any day. The "tall target test" takes only a half hour and lets you know for sure.

Second, you have to hold your scope level when you shoot. That is what the permanent scope level is for. You will not find a single serious long-range shooter trying to shoot at LR without a scope level in place. They know that without something to tell you when your scope is level, it will not be, and your POI will be off accordingly.

tf2n.jpg

If after your scope is mounted straight to the bore and it is level you don't like how the stock fits your hand or shoulder, you have to get a different stock. You cannot loosen the scope rings and rotate your scope to solve the fit problem or else you will be feet off at 1,000 yards.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/what-do-you-use-to-level-the-reticle.232353/

Last edited:

You leveled the scope correctly. That is usually the high priority. Your issue with stock being off is really the only reason to level the receiver. Some people like the cant of the rifle because it fits their shoulder better. In your case it seems to be the opposite.

I would level the rifle first, get behind it carefully, and see if you cant get a good "fit" behind it with the scope loose in the rings. Use one of those wheeler barrel levels once you got the stock feeling good, then level the scope to gravity as you did before without moving the gun that you just set. If that's confusing send me a PM, I'll make some visual examples.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts