Cant get zero'd..?

Sully2

EQUIPMENT:
Win model 70 in 300 Win Mag caliber
Zeiss 6.5-20 Conquest
EGW rail
Warne mounts in medium height

Now... Everything is installed and when I go to zero the scope out I get it down to the line that says 4" at 100 yds and not below that line? It starts out at about..??..20" below and comes up but in this case doesnt come up enough? What gives?

Right offhand I says its too tall of a rearbase...but its only a medium. I have used medium rings on previous 15 MOA and 20 MOA rails and they worked fin but this is my first Win model 70.

Anyone got any hints or clues??

One time, years ago, before I knew better, I used an EGW rail on a Weatherby. It was suppose to be a 20 moa rail. In reality it took 50 moa from center scope elevation to zero. This was on a NF NXS with 100 moa internal elevation. The scope was fine as I had used it on other rifles. So the verdict was the EGW rail was a 50 moa in reality instead of 20. My vote goes out to the rail being the problem.

Jeff

I had to go to taller rings to get a Primary Arms scope to zero. It was 56 inches high at 100 yards. I had low rings and had to switch to high rings and it zeroed.

One time, years ago, before I knew better, I used an EGW rail on a Weatherby. It was suppose to be a 20 moa rail. In reality it took 50 moa from center scope elevation to zero. This was on a NF NXS with 100 moa internal elevation. The scope was fine as I had used it on other rifles. So the verdict was the EGW rail was a 50 moa in reality instead of 20. My vote goes out to the rail being the problem.

Jeff

I'll have to find some way to check that. Ive used EGW rails on my other6 rifles and never had this sort of problem.

Thanks

Is this one of the newer Zeiss scopes with the zero stop? If so others seem to have had issues not getting full adjustment range until the zero stop was reset somehow. Don't have one of these, so really don't know what I'm talking about - Just throwing it out there. Might be worth checking into.

Are you also having problem with windage? I had a problem with windage and elevation on my 70. It happened when I switched to the exact scope you have. I was told this happens sometimes when you go to a higher scope magnification. Anyway the cure was an adjustable set of rings,rail from Leupold. It was that or send in to get the action redrilled.

Are you also having problem with windage? I had a problem with windage and elevation on my 70. It happened when I switched to the exact scope you have. I was told this happens sometimes when you go to a higher scope magnification. Anyway the cure was an adjustable set of rings,rail from Leupold. It was that or send in to get the action redrilled.

I ordered a different set of rings tonight ( From Leo) Ive use this same scope on other rifles with EGW rails under them but DIFFERENT rings...so I'll swap them first

Even though I have new mounts ordered, I called Zeiss. Explained the whole shebang to them and their answer in effect was...
"Change the rings if you are uneasy about my setup and if I dont like it send the scope back to them and they dont fix them anymore they replace them...with 5-25 w 50mm objective with HD glass...!!!

Kinda tough to beat!

I will be surprised if this works. My issue was the same as yours. It was not the Zeiss scope. It worked great on Remington actions. I had 3x9 scopes on my 70 and they worked great. It was just when I installed the Zeiss on the 70. I was told sometimes this happens when you go to a higher magnification scope. I had to get the Adjustable Leupold base and rings. I was able to use this adjustment and center the adjustment in my scope.

I will be surprised if this works. My issue was the same as yours. It was not the Zeiss scope. It worked great on Remington actions. I had 3x9 scopes on my 70 and they worked great. It was just when I installed the Zeiss on the 70. I was told sometimes this happens when you go to a higher magnification scope. I had to get the Adjustable Leupold base and rings. I was able to use this adjustment and center the adjustment in my scope.

Im positive its not the scope itself and if I have to I'll scrap both the rail and the rings and start again with straight bases and lo rings to get it down even lower.

I order Leupold QD rings in a "low" mounting. I put them on the scope and bolt it down to my rail and I can see a big difference in positioning. Havent truly sighted it in yet, but I can easily see the scope has a more normal attitude in relationship to the bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts