Cant get zero'd..?

The height of zero taper rings shouldn't have anything to do with running out of adjustment in the scope. The taper of the base is what sets the cross hair in relation to the center of the scope tube. Some scopes have more internal adjustment than others. Long range shooters use 15-40 MOA bases to move the 100 yard zero point closer to the bottom of the tube to get the most elevation adjustment for long range. Any adjustment below the 100 zero point typically does you no good. 30, 34 or 35 mm scope tubes have more adjustment than 1" tubes simply because there is more room for adjustment.

i ran into the same issue this week with a new EGW 15 MOA base and a Leupold M6. I do not have enough downward adjustment to zero at 200. Same rings and scope, new base. By deduction, it has to be the base, plenty of adjustment in the scope.

Im with you guys...the fault has to be in the base (rail) Same scope...same rings....20MOA rail works fine on a M700.....but try it on a M70 and its no go.

My rings wil work fine on a mount thats screw directly to the receiver so thats where Im headed.

And more expense does NOT get you a better product. A 20 MOA rail of ANY BRAND and the scope I am using would act identical

False, see post two the first reply to your thread. I have never had this issue with a more expensive Nightforce or Near mfg. rail. And I use tons of them. They are always spot on. EGW no, not the same and have seen over a half a dozen EGW's fail in the screw area of large rifles. Never seen a quality more expensive rail fail. In the end, you would have saved a few more hairs on your head and $$ too when you figure the wasted ammo and time.

Jeff

False, see post two the first reply to your thread. I have never had this issue with a more expensive Nightforce or Near mfg. rail. And I use tons of them. They are always spot on. EGW no, not the same and have seen over a half a dozen EGW's fail in the screw area of large rifles. Never seen a quality more expensive rail fail. In the end, you would have saved a few more hairs on your head and $$ too when you figure the wasted ammo and time.

Jeff

If its a true 20 MOA rail as mine is supposed to me then it HAS TO ACT identically in jacking up the scope. And it has for me on numerous rifles in the past 2 years but this is my first M70 Winchester and it acts differently.

I always like some of you guys atitudes....If its not Nightforce then it isnt SH**. Talk about having your head in the sand...geez

I disagree. EGW are known for shoddy quality on their aluminium rails. I have NEVER had an issue with a Warne steel rail.

To me it makes absolutely no sense to mount a $1000+ scope and $50 rings onto a piece of aluminium $30 one piece rail. Even worse an aluminium 2 piece rail the way it comes from the factory.

If you do a read, at least half of the "can't get sighted in" threads relate to EGW rails and a lot of the balance to cheap aluminium rings and finally you have some rifles ship with the barrel out of square to the action.

I will add that the only item by NF that I possess is a steel one piece picatinny rail. it is the same price as the Warne rails and sometimes I can't get the Warne item in a reasonable time, so I feel comfortable with a NF substitute. So you are not getting any brand snobbery out of me. But to me junk is junk and that is what EGW is. Lowest common denominator cheap sh#@t, that none of my self built rifles deserve.

And more expense does NOT get you a better product. A 20 MOA rail of ANY BRAND and the scope I am using would act identical

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts