Can anyone spare a few fired 6.5-284 cases?

jwallen

I need a few fired 6.5-284 cases that I can resize with my own dies for my gunsmith to use for headspacing a new build off of. Does anyone have a few I could buy and pay for shipping on? Thanks!

Do you know how to thread a case to make it work for a overall length gauge? I can send you a few to 84s if you could thread a 280 ackley I will send as well.

Let me know

What's wrong with head spacing the chamber to .284 Win minimum SAAMI spec with a GO .284 gauge?

You'll have to use a case headspace gauge either way to properly full length size fired cases bumping their shoulders back a thousandth or two. The die can be adjusted to do that. It's been done that way for decades.

That's actually a great idea...making Hornady case gauges from cases with loose primer pockets. That I can do but I already have two.

What's wrong with head spacing the chamber to .284 Win minimum SAAMI spec with a GO .284 gauge?

You'll have to use a case headspace gauge either way to properly full length size fired cases bumping their shoulders back a thousandth or two. The die can be adjusted to do that. It's been done that way for decades.

That would work fine and I've done it that way for a long time but I have a reason for wanting to do it this way. I headspaced my win mag off a fired sized shell with my dies and only have to set them up to FL size and it just bumps the shoulder without all the die set up.

You could also have the 'smith chamber the barrel to a standard GO gauge then get a set of Redding's Competition Shell Holders. There's 5 of them in height steps of .002" above the .125" standard. Then, as you changed brass makes and lots (which often resize to .001" or more spread in average case headspace than another given lot), you could use the next size higher or lower with the same sizing die. That would change your sized case headspace in about .002" steps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.