Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

175 tmk should get rid of any inconsistency in the SMK

Agree.

I use the 175 TMKs in my 1903a3 at moderate pressure with N555, and MexMatch M118 Special ball, yanking out the FMJs 173s and drop the TMKs in. The latter improved the precision with no other steps done, like adjusting and re-weighing powder. Just seat the TMKs, sealant and all.

Last edited:
I once loaded fo 41 calibers but when I retired and moved to a smaller house I decided to downsize my rifle collection and reloading room. I love the Blaser R8 platform and decided on 4 calibers for my do all rifle. The .22lR for squirrel, .223 for Coyote, .308 for deer, and 300 WinMag for elk. Of those I use the .308 the most and the only thing I've shot with the 300 is a Bison. I could have just done a 22 and .308 and been happy.
Heresy!!
Start gathering wood for the bonfire and cut a stake! Get your pitchforks! We must stop this line of thought before the infection spreads. Ballistic and economic pollution will not be tolerated!
"Common Sense" & "Just as Good" must be stamped out or who knows where we might end up. Next thing you know it will be "100 more fps don't make any difference to the animal". Disinfecting my iPad for even typing those words. Weatherby, forgive them. Ackley bless them. Neck down their .30-06 at least to .280AI and lead them out of darkness and savings accounts. 😉

Agree.

I use the 175 TMKs in my 1903a3 at moderate pressure with N555, and MexMatch M118 Special ball, yanking out the FMJs 173s and drop the TMKs in. The latter improved the precision with no other steps done, like adjusting and re-weighing powder. Just seat the TMKs, sealant and all.
Isn't cleaning up that sealer fun after you shoot? I use xylene, but its still a pita.

Responding to old thread because I recently built a 16" 308 "do everything" rifle and have decided it is ideal. I'm not doing what OP did and switching everything to 308, as I love 6.5 PRC too much. BUT, I've found the 308 is the perfect caliber for a shorter barrel, which is all I want to use anymore. Would gladly take this gun on any hunt in North America and hunt up to 500+ yards comfortably.

Perhaps of interest is a velocity comparison I did recently between a 16.25" barrel and a 24" barrel, both 308's, with five different ammo types, three factory and two handloads:

1687723388655.png

The 24" barrel provided about 200 fps more velocity with each load, but the 16" barrel did rather well I thought.

Next up I want to try some heavier bullets from the 16" barrel. With that 1:8 twist it should be able to handle pretty much any 30 caliber bullet. The little rifle handles well and is a pleasure to shoot.

1687723579753.png

1687723639167.png

Regards, Guy

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
At 600 yards and under you are well served as you are. I am an 06 shooter since age 16 that would not hesitate to shoot 400-500 yards after ranging. Never had an opportunity to practice any farther than that. You do not need another caliber with you doing your part and a good gun.

Not as good as other more powerful/capable cartridges but sure if you dot every I and cross every T. I actually think it's a better option than 6.5 creed within those confines if reloading close to max capabilities. I much prefer other more capable cartridges like 7mm mag/280ai or above if taking shots past 450-500 yards. Best of luck

Not as good as other more powerful/capable cartridges but sure if you dot every I and cross every T. I actually think it's a better option than 6.5 creed within those confines if reloading close to max capabilities. I much prefer other more capable cartridges like 7mm mag/280ai or above if taking shots past 450-500 yards. Best of luck
I have a inherited pre 64 win 70 in 308 and 150 nos partition is powerful medicine within 350 yards!!!

It's every bit as good, if we use your thinking why bother with anything other than a Barrett 50 cal ?

Last edited:
Perhaps of interest is a velocity comparison I did recently between a 16.25" barrel and a 24" barrel, both 308's, with five different ammo types, three factory and two handloads:

View attachment 472984

The 24" barrel provided about 200 fps more velocity with each load, but the 16" barrel did rather well I thought.

Next up I want to try some heavier bullets from the 16" barrel. With that 1:8 twist it should be able to handle pretty much any 30 caliber bullet. The little rifle handles well and is a pleasure to shoot.

View attachment 472985

View attachment 472986

Regards, Guy
Yeah, my experience has been the same. Cut a creedmoor down from 24 inches, you lose a lot more fps than when you cut a 308. If you run a similar test on heavier bullets, I would love to see the results. I'm thinking you might find even better performance from the 16 inch 308 because there will be less powder to burn.

Also, what stock is on that rifle? Big fan

No kidding.

David, however, does not offer anything with a claim without extensive testing to back it. How far back from the meplat did you make the cut?
I too would like to hear more about this. I'm interested in the nosering cutter. Any more detailed experiences/stories about using nosering cut match bullets on game?

Yeah, my experience has been the same. Cut a creedmoor down from 24 inches, you lose a lot more fps than when you cut a 308. If you run a similar test on heavier bullets, I would love to see the results. I'm thinking you might find even better performance from the 16 inch 308 because there will be less powder to burn.

Also, what stock is on that rifle? Big fan

"Shorty" was built with a Foundation Dominion stock. Interesting stocks. We haven't ever had to bed one of Foundation's stocks. Put the action in, and torque 'em down. They work great.

Guy

For most reasonable hunting ranges, yes a 308 is all ya need. Jack O'Connor killed everything except coastal grizzlies with a .270 Win, including interior grizzlies. Eskimos used the 222 rem the 220 Swift and 30-30 for polar bear and walrus, and large game. Subsistence hunting range in feet or inches for a trapped animal...they did not shoot big game at 600 yds, mostly way inside 100 yds. Chase a polar bear down with a snow machine until it's totally exhausted, when it stands up to defend itself, shoot it once in both lungs, let it bleed to death, perfect hide to sell, and fresh meat. Get close change tactics a well placed 222 or even 22 LR has proven to work. Just like a Louisiana alligator hunter.