Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
Responding to old thread because I recently built a 16" 308 "do everything" rifle and have decided it is ideal. I'm not doing what OP did and switching everything to 308, as I love 6.5 PRC too much. BUT, I've found the 308 is the perfect caliber for a shorter barrel, which is all I want to use anymore. Would gladly take this gun on any hunt in North America and hunt up to 500+ yards comfortably.

Responding to old thread because I recently built a 16" 308 "do everything" rifle and have decided it is ideal. I'm not doing what OP did and switching everything to 308, as I love 6.5 PRC too much. BUT, I've found the 308 is the perfect caliber for a shorter barrel, which is all I want to use anymore. Would gladly take this gun on any hunt in North America and hunt up to 500+ yards comfortably.

Normal load, sort of...M118 LRs with 175 SMKs I am getting 2500 in both stick shift and gasser 16 inch suppressed. Now, sub what some would say, "true hunting bullets" without pushing the pressure/velocity envelope, the combination is still a meat getter.

Normal load, sort of...M118 LRs with 175 SMKs I am getting 2500 in both stick shift and gasser 16 inch suppressed. Now, sub what some would say, "true hunting bullets" without pushing the pressure/velocity envelope, the combination is still a meat getter.

Have you used the 175MKs much on game? Any failures/inconsistencies? They seems to always shoot well in my 20" 308.

I have heard different results, but for crying out loud we all use Bergers...Are they really that much different? Now the old 173gr would probably not be optimal.

I bought my first rifle ( Savage 110 Storm in .223 ) relatively " late in life " just a couple of years ago. I have thoroughly enjoyed shooting it. Boringly accurate, cheaper to shoot than most things, soft recoil, etc. Got it for casual range shooting and the occasional predator and pig hunt. Having said all that, if I wanted a rifle for everything from casual paper, through varmints and predators, all the way through deer ( and even bigger ), IMO .308 can do it all. I don`t deer hunt, but if I did, I would have gone .308 to cover all those bases.

Have you used the 175MKs much on game? Any failures/inconsistencies? They seems to always shoot well in my 20" 308.

I have heard different results, but for crying out loud we all use Bergers...Are they really that much different? Now the old 173gr would probably not be optimal.

I use them on hogs exclusively, meplatted, had no runners. The farthest so far is 300 yards.

20211205_080145.jpg

Last edited:

I have used the 175 SMK's on deer and they have always worked but The Tubb nose ring cutter really improves them for hunting

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
yes but I would go with the 300 win and down size the others

I once loaded fo 41 calibers but when I retired and moved to a smaller house I decided to downsize my rifle collection and reloading room. I love the Blaser R8 platform and decided on 4 calibers for my do all rifle. The .22lR for squirrel, .223 for Coyote, .308 for deer, and 300 WinMag for elk. Of those I use the .308 the most and the only thing I've shot with the 300 is a Bison. I could have just done a 22 and .308 and been happy.