Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

For those that feel a specific energy number is required or preferred to harvest an animal, I think that's a pretty good standard to live by. The number of course changes depending on the animal but it's a pretty reasonable number I think. While I feel like the number is probably higher than it needs to be, it probably is. It probably accounts for an on center shoulder hit on heavy boned animals. The last thing a hunter wants is a bullet with too little penetration. I've shot deer at up too 800 yards with .243s using 95 VLDs,(700 ft lbs/1800 fps). Complete pass thru shots were common and dropping deer on sight was also common. These were farm field shots where deer we're eating in crops. Skin thinner due to the season and very calm conditions were present. Pretty necessary IMO with the light 95s. I have no doubt a properly placed, properly chosen bullet will anchor a much bigger Elk at 600-800 yards from a 308. That said, I'd probably have a bit bigger case 308 cartridge if I were going on an Elk hunt knowing that shot could exist. That's just me.

What's the charge range and COAL?
45.0gr at 2.8040" CCI 200s federal brass. Straight 10x on it so I don't shoot that far but had done well at 800 for me on steel. Shot a nice mule deer a couple years at 509. I have several headshots with that rifle sub 175 yards. Several antelope and elk sub 400also.
IMG952537.jpg

That's been my decision recently. Was planning a 300 win build this summer. After a long debate with my self all my hunting is within 5-600 yards . So I sent my tikka to the gunsmith and having rebarreled and semi customized as my dedicated hunting rifle.
Everyone is talking about shooting elk out to 600 yards for elk. I was helping a disabled veteran a couple years ago and he was using the 308. We got him on a cow elk at 125 yards. He was shooting federal premium ammo. That bullet did not exit that elk. He shot it right behind the shoulders through the lungs and killed it but there was no exit wound. I would be very very carefulAbout shooting an elk at 600 yards with a 308. My minimum gun for hunting big elk is a 300 Winchester. I would much rather be over gunned than underground and wounding an animal.

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
You pose a great question. For work on Elk out to six hundred yards I would look at the 300 SAUM or the 300 WSM. The 300 saum seems like good middle ground between the 06 and the 300 wsm. Just depends on how much Elk hunting you might be doing. Good Luck and good hunting.

WHY ?????????? learn to shoot your gun
Because Ive seen elk in Colorado soak up numerous 28 Noslers from 500 with the first directly in bread basket. Luckily the shooters both had experience and the Elk afforded them follow up shots. I'm sure you can kill an elk which much smaller calibers than a 308 at 600 yards in one shot but having packed elk out I personally would like to drop them where they stand instead of chasing them further up or into the mountians. All that being said maybe I'm just getting old or lazy and compenmsating with a big magnum. but thanks for assuming I'm crappy shot.

Recent Posts