Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

Because Ive seen elk in Colorado soak up numerous 28 Noslers from 500 with the first directly in bread basket. Luckily the shooters both had experience and the Elk afforded them follow up shots. I'm sure you can kill an elk which much smaller calibers than a 308 at 600 yards in one shot but having packed elk out I personally would like to drop them where they stand instead of chasing them further up or into the mountians. All that being said maybe I'm just getting old or lazy and compenmsating with a big magnum. but thanks for assuming I'm crappy shot.
Everyone who has hunted and killed a few elk know how tough they can be. I have put several rounds from a 300WM in a bull's boiler room at less than 50 yds and he wasn't impressed and ran a ways too. I think the OP was just wanting one cartridge to do it all. With that comes compromises. Yes it will kill elk but by no means is it the best elk medicine. But it can work. 28 Nosler is definitely better.

So a 308 win shooting 180 Berger EH at 2800 fps (26in barrel suppressed) has ~1800fps and ~1300FT-LBS at 900 yards based on numbers I ran on Berger's ballistic chart.

Not your grand-dads .308 anymore with better powders and bullets, those numbers will tell you that a 308 will do just fine at 600yds and then some.

Truth be told .308 we would all be smart to shoot a .308 with its barrel life, and component availability, but it just ain't sexy but it is effective and more than enough gun. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot/kill at 800yds with a properly built 308 at an elk.

If that's average I'll never get to Montana. I would have no clue how to start! If it isn't fairly calm, I don't shoot. No practice/experience like that!
Montana is big, sw and east, its nasty wind. Actually enough so that Im not so sure I can take it much more. Nw is not like that, its much more wooded and a different climate. Dont get me wrong, we get calm days but you actually notice them. Like wow, the wind isn't blowing. I have lived in a few states, none with wind like here. Thats the one thing guys on the eastern side of the country need to understand. We tend to recommend larger calibers because we deal with this wind. So while smaller calibers can do the job, remember the wind.

Last edited:
Everyone who has hunted and killed a few elk know how tough they can be. I have put several rounds from a 300WM in a bull's boiler room at less than 50 yds and he wasn't impressed and ran a ways too. I think the OP was just wanting one cartridge to do it all. With that comes compromises. Yes it will kill elk but by no means is it the best elk medicine. But it can work. 28 Nosler is definitely better.
I shot a Pennslyvania cow 2 years ago with a handloaded 308 with 150 gr Nosler E-tip on top of it, Cow was 250yds, one shot, ran 50 yds and flopped. That said, I said in an earlier post on this thread that a 308 would work but I would prefer a little more gun and I received this reply "

-msmith57- said:

WHY ?????????? learn to shoot your gun.

So I I responded with my Colorado experience that you replied to. It is what it is, I love my 308 and if that's all I had thats what Id use but im fortunate enough to have options. Here the a pic of the E-tip and the ivory's.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 53
308 impact with a 168 berger at 2500 yards.....they do not "fall out of the sky side ways at 800" or "tumble thru the air" if you shoot the right bullet with a properly twist rate barrel.

Attachments

• 20200711_121532.jpg
    20200711_121532.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 45
I made much the same choice as you, more recently. I decided that .308 is my "big gun," and for everything I do, it works wonderfully. Inside 600yd it will absolutely get the job done, and I would not hesitate to tote a .308 anywhere on the continent, after anything that walks it.

If I were an Alaskan hunter, or chased game like Moose and Grizzly, I am sure my opinion would be different...but at my age and station, even a Western Elk is looking more and more like a pipe dream.
Make your pipe dream come true. You will never regret it. I'm fortunate enough to live in a game rich state. Even at my growing years, I still make it possible every year. Plan your next dream hunting memory

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
I am a avid hunter and 308 fan , I have the same feelings as you as I reload all of my ammo , I own 8 rifles in 308 they have always done the job . My furtherest kill is 704 yards on a white tail . I shoot 45 pistol and 308 . My father always said be ware of the man son with one weapon as he knows it Intimately , I have felt this way all my hunting life and I know the 308 well . And it is my go to period. Just my thoughts. By the way Chris Kyle had a custom 308 built for all his needs when he left the seals before he was killed .

42,4` m/k.-43.6 Rl15 in lake city lapua fc case 168smk 2.820 has shot well in every 308 I've shot which is many.
41.0-42.5 4064 same case selection same coal I use 41.0 in an m1a and a 742 works very well, fiddle alittle with a bolt gun and you will see legendary accuracy
Varget 42.0 168 berger hunting vld 2.840 shoots sub 1 inch at 500yds. I have shot multiple 3 shot groups with the bullets touching at this distance.
Big bullets cfe and 4895 have worked very welll for max speed with accuracy. I have not used MR2000 but I have a friend that has my 195tmk load shooting at 45fps faster than minewhich is 2704fps and 1 hole at 300 in calm conditions. sub 4 inch at 900yds is common also.
IF you sort prep lake city it will serve you very well. I have 800 cases I am cycling through so I don't run through my lapua brass. Togh takes pressure well and shoots very consistently. I use the old match brass that was loaded with the 173fmj bullet used by snipers and the marksmenship units. I also use the new M118LR as well. I have roughly 2k total with close to a 50/50 split.
Federal cases are great to use if you run lapua. THey are very close in volume so you can do your testing with FC to find seating and velocity without shooting up your lapua cases
Lastly FGMM Black HIlls Hornady all produce very good ammo for the 308. All 3 shoot sub half minute in my custom and sub minute in the rest of them. If they shoot well just set your seater to that length and fiddle with the charge to see if you can improve it.

This is all very useful for me. I have a few 308s and a couple 6.5 creedmoors. I'm finishing up a 7mm-08 and was kicking the tires on building a 300 wsm for where the 308 leaves off but maybe not now. My problem now is my longest barreled 308 is 18" so I start out slower than most. I'm just now trying to get into reloading and that should help but I still need a press and components for that.

I ha
This is all very useful for me. I have a few 308s and a couple 6.5 creedmoors. I'm finishing up a 7mm-08 and was kicking the tires on building a 300 wsm for where the 308 leaves off but maybe not now. My problem now is my longest barreled 308 is 18" so I start out slower than most. I'm just now trying to get into reloading and that should help but I still need a press and components for that.
I have had very good success with 3031 in my short barreled rifles in 308. Was looking for a powder with less flash but found good accuracy and great velocity with slightly compressed loads. All are under max by a little bit but none flash at the shot.

Nice! I'll look into finding some of that. I was also reading about lighter weight monos to keep velocity up but still have a higher bc. They supposedly punch a little above their weight too.