Can 308 do everything you need a rifle to do under 600 yards?

Because Ive seen elk in Colorado soak up numerous 28 Noslers from 500 with the first directly in bread basket. Luckily the shooters both had experience and the Elk afforded them follow up shots. I'm sure you can kill an elk which much smaller calibers than a 308 at 600 yards in one shot but having packed elk out I personally would like to drop them where they stand instead of chasing them further up or into the mountians. All that being said maybe I'm just getting old or lazy and compenmsating with a big magnum. but thanks for assuming I'm crappy shot.
Ya good point. There's hitting and tracking an Elk and there's hitting and dropping on the spot . I prefer the latter.

Greetings Gents,

I am a hunter first and foremost. A few years back I decided to reduce the number of calibers I shoot and reload for. I settled on a 308 as my "do everything" high power cartridge and currently have 5 rifles chambered in 308.

My question is if I know that I will never take a shot longer than 600 yards at game. Will 308 do it all? All species?

Is there anyone else that has done similar/ I would like to hear about your experiences. Post photos too.

Im trying to talk myself out of buying a 300 WSM or 30-06.

Bluejay
Yes, but 300 wsm is better choice.

I have to agree. Whenever you push a bullet faster the harder it is going to hit with equal projectile weight and increases range. However, the question was concerning the 308 and I assume Win.
I know I seem abrasive but the OP asked about the 308 and his question was answered, Yes the 308 will do what he wants it to do, As for all of the other caliber suggestions " Yes, but 300 wsm is better choice." why even bother, If we are gonna do that lets all just get 375 Rums and then we will have absolutely nothing to worry about

I love the venerable little .308 win. It's truly impressive at the least. Watching the bullet splash on the white 6" circle on the steel plate at 1000 yards then hearing that "Clang" a few seconds later is the proof of it's deadly accuracy. Bet that Elk couldn't tell the difference if I hit him with that 175 or a 250 from a 300 PRC. He's going with me either way. With all the other cartridges out there, the .308 is still on top of many shooters lists for Elk. Amazing.

The 308 will cleanly kill even the biggest moose, or bear, just stuff the right bullet in it. Here in Alaska most bears and moose are shot within 100 yards, and a 180 tsx will shoot plum the the chest on a moose, and will hit hard enough to break the shoulder on even the biggest bear.

The 308 will cleanly kill even the biggest moose, or bear, just stuff the right bullet in it. Here in Alaska most bears and moose are shot within 100 yards, and a 180 tsx will shoot plum the the chest on a moose, and will hit hard enough to break the shoulder on even the biggest bear.
Operative word is "Close" on Big Bears and Big Moose.

Well ... yes with good Hunting Bullet, proper placement, etc. and all going as planned .... would think 3-400 as max. under most circumstances for sake of certainty ...
Ideal Conditions OK
further out - I have some caution on Elk, Moose and Big Bears .. (I'd go 338 or 358)

if you will take a little levity -- if you have passed that 1/4 mile and its a bear ... and things don't go well - gives you lotsa time to Run ..

Recent Posts