Camp food ideas?

DoubleGobble00

So our group is headed to Wyoming soon to hunt elk. We are tent camping and plan to bring cooked meals to heat up. So far, we have thought of tacos, taco soup, chili, sloppy Joe's, spaghetti, cowboy stew, and hotdogs. We plan to cook most the meals, freeze them, and just reheat.

What other meal ideas have y'all done? Any good meals we can add?

Thanks,

DoubleG

Looks like you have it covered. We use get milk in the cardboard containers and would put our soups, stews scrambled eggs & chilly in it, freeze it. If we had a spike camp all we needed was a pot, then pealed the cardboard off, heat and eat. Beacon flavored spam cut thin to go with scrambled eggs.

We stay in a cabin at elk camp. I like to cook so no pre made frozen stuff for us. Make bbq ribs, chicken, chicken Parmesan, steaks, burgers, bacon, eggs etc. To me it's as much of a holiday/vacation. I'm there to enjoy myself. But I realize others may hunt way harder than we do and don't want to cook for 2-3 hrs every night. Dark in Alberta by basically 5-5:30 pm so lots of time to cook at the end of November.

tacos, taco soup, chili, sloppy Joe's, spaghetti, cowboy stew, and hotdogs.

I'm not a fan of tacos anytime so I usually bring a pork or chicken and green or red peppers concoction to go in large, soft burritos for roll ups. This can be shredded or small cubes with a very thick gravy seasoned for Italian or Mexican. We used to do this with the tougher cuts of venison or elk. You can do a similar thing with pulled pork or chicken for BBQ. Freeze ahead and reheat for serving. The cardboard cartons are a great idea because the cartons can go in the fire to conserve the trash to carry out.

I cook prime rib in a 14 inch GSI hard anodized Dutch oven. Also sour dough bread every day in a 12 inch iron Dutch oven. Our camp meals include my wife's lasagna, New York and rib steaks on a Weber charcoal barbeque, pork chops and gravy, pork tenderloin medallions in a lemon caper cream sauce, and Dutch oven baby back ribs.
You can cook anything in a Dutch oven. We have chile dogs one night, because our boys demand it. Otherwise, no weenies.

- Lentil soup is always good to recharge after long walks up and down the mountains, haven't tried freezing this though.
- Pork rinds in green Chile with tortilla chips or as tacos in soft corn tortillas and with tamales on the side, the prepared pork rinds and the tamales can be frozen no problem.
- Barbacoa tacos in soft corn tortillas, this is a special recipe and really easy to make on a crock pot, I always prepare this one in advance and Freeze it. Need the recipe? Let me know.

Thanks! These are great ideas... keep them coming. We plan to hunt hard until dark and up before daylight... I'm trying to minimize cooking time but still need good food for hard hunting...

Being a chef of 35 years experience imo your only limited to what you can do in the bush by your own imagination, what equipment & how much time you have.

For me it depends on the trip duration & time of year to what we can use to cook on.
If its summer then there is usually a fire ban so cast iron Dutch oven cooking by fire is out & LPG gas over meals are prepped.

Most of the time if camp oven cooking I will do slow cooking style meal, like Moroccan lamb shoulder with cous cous or beef blade(or similar cut) with roast root vegetables.
I have even made pizza from scratch using a very hot fire & turned out pretty good
Camp oven pizza.jpg

Camp oven pizza 2.jpg

If I am just going for 4 to 5 days I will usually do a combination of cooked meals that can be easily heated for when I don't want wait for something to eat & meals that I prepped & cook on the gas stove.
The food I take that is pre cooked is usually stuff that requires 2 or more hours of cooking to tenderize the meat.

In doing this a food vacuum machine is the best thing you can have at you disposal for the meals & prep plus also for when you bring your game home to.

Lunches are things like angus burgers, bbq pulled pork rolls with slaw & chipotle mayo, smoked salmon & potato frittata, sausages with beans & fried eggs.

Dinners are things like, gnocchi with pork ragout, tortellini with speck, mushroom, spinach & garlic cream sauce, thai chicken coconut curry with jasmin rice, Chinese style chicken with hokkien noodles & asian greens, beef & mushroom goulash with mash & green peas.

Like I was saying, nearly anything you can do at hame you can do out in the bush :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.