Calling Hogs

stoner

New to hog hunting in NC. There has been a few spotted and one killed on our property. Is there a call that might help calling hogs in?

I have a wildlife tech caller I have never tried on pigs works great on everything else. For pigs the best foolproof way is to set up a tripod feeder. Just make sure you anchor the legs. Fill with corn and give it some time. Once they find it your all set.

I have a wildlife tech caller I have never tried on pigs works great on everything else. For pigs the best foolproof way is to set up a tripod feeder. Just make sure you anchor the legs. Fill with corn and give it some time. Once they find it your all set.

+1

The feeder will bring them in (If it is legal in your state). if not, the best thing I have found is an electronic call with a piglet in stress call. The big sows have a hard time not coming to check
it out.

J E CUSTOM

they're certainly vocal and they hear well, so i'd think they would respond to calling... if you know what you're doing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbS55M_h4ew]Hard Charging Hog Called In And Killed Point Blank In Texas! - YouTube[/ame]

Very good video !!!

I guess that answered your question

I like the little pig in stress used at the end of the hunt, but I will have to try the other call (Sounded like a hole bunch of them fighting over food).

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

That looks like entirely to much fun.
The 12ga. shotgun and 00 buck might be a better choice at that range.

I've killed my biggest pigs with a fox pro calling for yotes. They came into a distress call. Both times were at night. I was using my DPMS with a color thermal night scope. Man was I surprised!!
I never guessed that they would come into that but boy was I wrong.

To add a couple more angles, can anyone recommend techniques where electronic calls, night scopes, lights or bait aren't allowed? (Yes. California.)

That looks like entirely to much fun.
The 12ga. shotgun and 00 buck might be a better choice at that range.

lol..... I don't know about 00 buck .... i got a trailcam pic of one that took a full load and he looked like he healed up, alive and doing well... So I stopped carrying a shotgun after I saw that.

Attachments

• 4jan14c.jpg
    4jan14c.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 129
I've killed my biggest pigs with a fox pro calling for yotes. They came into a distress call. Both times were at night. I was using my DPMS with a color thermal night scope. Man was I surprised!!
I never guessed that they would come into that but boy was I wrong.

I heard of that happening one other time... good to know and I will try it. Right now I got 3 groups of pigs and I'm resetting my traps; since they know the trigger points and one big hawg blocks it, so others won't trigger it. They all eat and leave. I had to set up cameras several ways to figure it out . Fixin to set up for a night hunt to get the leaders, now. I used a double trip wire and it would have worked had the trigger bar on top of the doors hadn't stuck that night... or they may have bit the wire off, because it was cut...... Dang it!

Attachments

• 5jan14d.jpg
    5jan14d.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 139
This is a new one on me for sure! Never heard of anyone calling in hogs before. last time I went up to Burlinton,TX with my younger Brother all we used were "pig pipes" and some LED's to provide some light. Red lights by the way. Could hear hogs over in the adjacent property but only spotted one hit the pipe and wasn't able to take the shot. Gonna have to research this one a little further that's for sure.

We use pig pipes also and they work very well for us. The only two times I tried calling hogs I called in coyotes but a friend of mine called on on our place. Big sow like mentioned above. For places where calling is not allowed the best bet seems to be watching travel or feeding spots at dusk and dawn, or moving to Texas where you can kill them any way you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.