Cooking Hogs?

Quarter em like you would a deer. I let mine sit on ice 1-2 weeks, water plug open and draining, new ice every 2-3 days.

Grind and make sausage, muscle out and cut into chunks for guisados, chicken fry backstrap, bacon wrapped grilled loins, smoked whole hams (deboned).

A few ways I typically butcher, cook, and eat them.

I was recently reading some forums on here and it sounds like a lot of people who kill them to eradicate the for pest control don't eat them. I myself have always eaten them. Personally treat them just like deer. Honestly, prefer the 50-75 pounders over deer.
I've never tried the bacon route. Don't think wild hogs have enough fat for that? Just grill the back straps and loins. Grind up everything else for sausage. The last one I killed back in October with my bow I saved a few roasts off of. Recently did quesa birria egg rolls with it and it was pretty dang good!

So are feral hogs considered varmints or are they typically eaten? If eaten, how to prep? Torch off the hair? Pit BBQ? Issues with worms?
Darn you have a lot to learn on different cooking methods on hogs.!
First is cleaning then butchering and saving the meat in sub freezing water
You can do a Spit turn
PIT which in Hawaih is EMU the PIG
Cook on an open Grill.
YOU CAN'T DO ANY OF THESE COOKING METHODS UNLESS YOU ARE PROPRRLY TRAINED.
If you are working with an experienced friend OK if not watch a lot of uTUBES>
When I was in HAI we did the traditional hunt with Spears. Got the Pig, gutted, then dug a pit. used chicken wire, & banana leaves.
I have a cooking whole process if you want it.
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
Don't think wild hogs have enough fat for that?

Really?
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/fattest-hog-to-date.348948/#post-3004994
1705932603247.jpeg

Enjoy!

;)

Like what has been said, we eat the smaller ones 20-60 lbs. Soak in ice water till water doesn't have much red tint. Cooking them can be a challenge. There isn't much fat on them and what is on them I trim off to get rid of most gamey flavor. Crockpot or oven bags work best. If you have a good amount of time smoker extra low and slow, marinade before hand. If you grind for sausage, grind a Boston butt to add some fat, then add whatever you like, I like pineapple and pepper jack sausage. We do eradicate them and don't always clean them do to size and the numbers we shoot. My favorite size to shoot are piglets, perfect for my wife and I. Dinner for 2 size.

I quit messing with them when a friend contacted swine brucellosis by field dressing several. He nicked his glove and finger but did not realize it! He was very sick for some time! Wear good heavy cut proof gloves and wash well with a disinfectant, then soap and water. It does not happen often but it does happen!

I quit messing with them when a friend contacted swine brucellosis by field dressing several. He nicked his glove and finger but did not realize it! He was very sick for some time! Wear good heavy cut proof gloves and wash well with a disinfectant, then soap and water. It does not happen often but it does happen!

I've eaten a few of my earlier kills but the potential of contracting a serious disease is an eye-opener. Lately, we just shoot the biggest, smelliest hogs we can find and leave them for the coyotes.

Of all the game animals that I've taken, my wife liked the hogs the most. She still loves pork but it comes from the butcher now. 🤣

We make pulled pork for sandwiches, tacos or burritos. Cook the pork in a crock pot until you can easily sherd it using two forks (usually 6 to 8 hours) and skim off any pieces of fat that rises to the top. When you remove it from the crock pot and start shedding it, make sure to remove all fat and gristle. We then seal-a-meal it. When we're ready to use it just put it in a pan and lightly brown it in your choice of anything to keep it from sticking (lard, butter, pam, olive oil), add salt, pepper, onions or peppers to taste. You can put it on a bun with some bbq sauce, make a taco or burrito filling, add it to chili or serve it with eggs or in an omelette, it's pretty versatile. Smaller is better.

Last edited:
I've eaten a few of my earlier kills but the potential of contracting a serious disease is an eye-opener. Lately, we just shoot the biggest, smelliest hogs we can find and leave them for the coyotes.

Of all the game animals that I've taken, my wife liked the hogs the most. She still loves pork but it comes from the butcher now. 🤣
I don't know if eating game animals gives a higher potential of contracting a disease but it seems like every other day on the news I see that they're pulling stuff from the grocery stores do the salmonella listeria or whatever else and that's usually in vegetables

I don't know if eating game animals gives a higher potential of contracting a disease but it seems like every other day on the news I see that they're pulling stuff from the grocery stores do the salmonella listeria or whatever else and that's usually in vegetables

I was referring to dwightb's comment regarding swine brucellosis in wild hogs. On two of my last outfitted hog hunts, the guides wouldn't even touch, never mind field dress a hog without rubber gloves. When I asked to help skin one of the hogs, the guide handed me a set of thick rubber gloves and said, "don't touch any blood".

At another place in SC, I noticed that they were treating the bait (corn) with dewormer. That got my attention too.

These things made me rethink the practice of eating wild hogs. I mostly shoot the hogs for sport, but I did enjoy those that I have eaten in the past.

I was referring to dwightb's comment regarding swine brucellosis in wild hogs. On two of my last outfitted hog hunts, the guides wouldn't even touch, never mind field dress a hog without rubber gloves. When I asked to help skin one of the hogs, the guide handed me a set of thick rubber gloves and said, "don't touch any blood".

At another place in SC, I noticed that they were treating the bait (corn) with dewormer. That got my attention too.

These things made me rethink the practice of eating wild hogs. I mostly shoot the hogs for sport, but I did enjoy those that I have eaten in the past.
I understand your comment. Mine was just in reference to how often we're seeing salmonella and listeria and grocery store vegetables. And comparing the two saying I don't know if one's worse than the other. As far as someone treating the bait with a dewormer my guess is it's ivermectin. Also gets rid of the blood parasites in the animals. I spoke with a high fence deer farmer and he told me if he was hunting public grounds that he would treat the corn with ivermectin up until 2 months prior the hunting to get it out of their system. And not having the blood parasites and worms leaves all the nutrients to go to healthy milk when feeding fawns and antler growth. Just a side note but yeah treating the animals to deworm room isn't anything uncommon even in farm raised for butcher animals