Cooking Hogs?

Small Ones, 20-40lbs skinned. Brine in ice bath for 24 hours with kosher salt, vinegar, spices, etc. Pat dry, coat in BBQ rub or dry rub of choice. Place on smoker, 225 - 250 degrees for 2 hours, remove and wrap in heavy foil. Finish in oven or smoker 225-250 degrees for 4 to 6 hours. Awesome!
☝️ This, they are amazing.
As for parasites, about the same as store bought, always thoroughly cook pork.
The large sows that haven't been feeding a litter of piglets and that have a thick fat layer are really good too

I understand your comment. Mine was just in reference to how often we're seeing salmonella and listeria and grocery store vegetables. And comparing the two saying I don't know if one's worse than the other. As far as someone treating the bait with a dewormer my guess is it's ivermectin. Also gets rid of the blood parasites in the animals. I spoke with a high fence deer farmer and he told me if he was hunting public grounds that he would treat the corn with ivermectin up until 2 months prior the hunting to get it out of their system. And not having the blood parasites and worms leaves all the nutrients to go to healthy milk when feeding fawns and antler growth. Just a side note but yeah treating the animals to deworm room isn't anything uncommon even in farm raised for butcher animals
What kind of ivermectin are they using, powder form??
That's interesting

The guy that told me all of this had a 2 year old buck that had 200" on his rack. I think he had a little bit of knowledge at least more than I did in doing what I can to help improve my deer herd
I wonder if he used the pour on type and let it dry 🤔
If so I think I might give that a try and see if I see a difference. Definitely couldn't hurt

I wonder if he used the pour on type and let it dry 🤔
If so I think I might give that a try and see if I see a difference. Definitely couldn't hurt
I don't remember exactly, other than it being a liquid. I was looking at a cheap mixer from harbor freight, then we changed to protein pellets during the off season, and a mix called rack em up during season. I don't like feeders but my father in law loves them. And he is 77, so he needs help to retrieve his deer and if he shoots them close to a feeder it makes it easy to get them for me.

I quit messing with them when a friend contacted swine brucellosis by field dressing several. He nicked his glove and finger but did not realize it! He was very sick for some time! Wear good heavy cut proof gloves and wash well with a disinfectant, then soap and water. It does not happen often but it does happen!
When I dress out a hog I wear a cheap rain suit and be careful not to get any of the Hog's fluids on me. Then I hose the rain gear off and let air dry. The Brucellosis only lives for a few hours after cleaning and drying the rain gear. As for the meat that I get off of the hog, I have a large cooler filled with ice and water. The pour SALT in with the water and ice and the reaction turns the mix to below freezing. Leave the meat in the ice water over night.

☝️ This, they are amazing.
As for parasites, about the same as store bought, always thoroughly cook pork.
The large sows that haven't been feeding a litter of piglets and that have a thick fat layer are really good too
Very low risk for trichinosis in commercially raised pork. 145 is the temp recommendation from usda. There is not much worse than an over cooked pork chop.

Recent Posts