Cooking Hogs?

"The Hog Book" by Jesse Griffiths is an excellent book on cooking wild hogs. this book has recipes and techniques based on the size of the hog, and is suited to every level of experience. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with any interest in cooking wild hogs from novice to expert. before I got my copy I was a little sticker shocked at the price but it is packed cover to cover with so much excellent information and now I feel like it is a bargain!

I'll be going after wild pig in oak woodland area so hopefully the acorn diet will help. I'm thinking some backstrap but mainly have it made into sausage with spice recipe as offered by the butcher. I might have some ground without anything additional and cook that up for the dogs. I can see how using the tractor was such a great help on my buddy's Montana Elk this past November.
View attachment 536014
IMG_2773.JPG
Yup. The only way to go.

Excellent book for anyone curious about all the ways you can prepare wild hogs View attachment 549544
I've done several recipes out of this book. I have hot italian sausage and chorizo verde in the freezer now. I try to keep a good stock of both. Made a meat sauce with the hot italian for spaghetti earlier this week. We had bone in chops for dinner last night.

Im not from Texas and I heard about it few years ago. I dont know how far they got with it or if they are doing it still. Its an easy web search.

Testing.

"If the landowner follows a very specific application protocol, actually teaches the pigs how to feed out of a hog-specific feeder and integrates a nontoxic bait over several weeks before they ever introduce a hot bait, the product does kill the pigs effectively," said Mike Bodenchuk, the director of Texas Wildlife Services.

While he said human consumption of the poisoned pigs is not an issue with warfarin due to its short half-life and the fact that it dyes a pig's insides blue to ward off hungry hunters, he does worry about other animals reaching the feral hog-specific feeders, specifically javelinas, which have a similar long snout, and bears.
"We had no javelinas get access to the feeder with the toxic bait in there; they never opened the door," Bodenchuk said of his study's findings. "But anything a pig can get into, a black bear can get into. ... I think we need a very specific protocol to avoid accidentally poisoning a bear."

:/ I'm not optimistic that users will follow the instructions or "protocols".

Testing. Not law.