Cooking Hogs?

I always use good hygiene, wear gloves, etc. when field dressing and processing. That said I would feel my health less at risk bare hand gutting a wild pig than buying any food the government regulates.
I have never seen a recall for wild game.

That is about 3.5 hrs away, I'll spend the difference in diesel. I'm in central Florida, more population equals higher prices

I live on the outskirts of Houston, Tx, not sure population is the issue.

I always use good hygiene, wear gloves, etc. when field dressing and processing. That said I would feel my health less at risk bare hand gutting a wild pig than buying any food the government regulates.
I have never seen a recall for wild game.
Well sir I live the distance from the fence to the center of road fm 470 from the chronic wasting disease quarantine area northern boundary and I tend to take double precautions after studying that problem, you kill a deer in that zone and it is mandatory for it to be tested at the state test sites. Every deer hit on the road outside this boundary is tested during the winter. Deer raisers and midnight deer shuffling, I've seen first hand the state come in on the primary or lets say where it all started and fly helicopters and gun down every living white tail deer penned or free roaming on a 2000 to 4000 acre place. Makes no sense its in the dirt now already. Wild hogs are meat eaters, coyotes, buzzards, think on what can carry this disease thru the fence to a neighboring ranch, the sole of your shoe? Glove up, every truck has a box, every jacket pocket..

This was yesterday's wild hog sausage and smoke meat batch. We love cooking wild hogs here in hawaii. We make all kinds of food with it. Lechon, kalua and lau lau is other favorites as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_041018.jpg
    IMG_20240304_041018.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240304_041013.jpg
    IMG_20240304_041013.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 19
So are feral hogs considered varmints or are they typically eaten? If eaten, how to prep? Torch off the hair? Pit BBQ? Issues with worms?
I wouldn't eat a large boar at all the meat will stink the whole house up while cooking, but a pig under 100 lbs should be fine, if you can heat water and I'm saying alot of water 50 gallons or so you can take some old blankets and dunk them in the hot water and cover the hog with them and pour the hot water over the blankets then you can scrap the hair off. If you have some burnt wood ashes add some to the water and it will help get the hair off. If you do it this way the water doesn't need to be boiling but probably around 175 degrees. Or if you can heat water in a 55 gallon drum then dunk the hog in the drum for a few seconds on each end till the hair starts to loosen up and get slick then a good butcher knife will scrap the hair right off. This method with the barrel is better if there's time to do it before you gut the hog if not the the blankets and hot water would be best. Or you can skin a hog but you will have to cut the skin off, it doesn't peel off like a deer. I'd say to make good sausage you'll need some more fat to add to the meat. We raise and butcher our own hogs every year and have all my life and the same for generations before me. Good luck and God bless you and yours

I wouldn't eat a large boar at all the meat will stink the whole house up while cooking, but a pig under 100 lbs should be fine, if you can heat water and I'm saying alot of water 50 gallons or so you can take some old blankets and dunk them in the hot water and cover the hog with them and pour the hot water over the blankets then you can scrap the hair off. If you have some burnt wood ashes add some to the water and it will help get the hair off. If you do it this way the water doesn't need to be boiling but probably around 175 degrees. Or if you can heat water in a 55 gallon drum then dunk the hog in the drum for a few seconds on each end till the hair starts to loosen up and get slick then a good butcher knife will scrap the hair right off. This method with the barrel is better if there's time to do it before you gut the hog if not the the blankets and hot water would be best. Or you can skin a hog but you will have to cut the skin off, it doesn't peel off like a deer. I'd say to make good sausage you'll need some more fat to add to the meat. We raise and butcher our own hogs every year and have all my life and the same for generations before me. Good luck and God bless you and yours
Aloha Gunn
If you can find an old cast iron tub that's the best. Add water to a little over half full and build fire under it until water get to 160-170° much higher than that the skin gets gummy n harder to scrape. Dunk pig in that for a few minutes. We use a stick to test by scraping along the pig until hair comes off easily. Once it's good we remove pig n put on a pipe table so when we scrape the hair falls straight to the ground. If there's any tuff spots we put burlap and pour hot water over the spot to help get it off. Then we go over it with razors and torch real quick n it's ready for the imu. Like u we've been doing this for generations.

Still stocking up today!!! I think that's 8 total. Sausage making time is right around the corner and all summer for pulled pork!!! Never have too many pork butts!!! Running a big *** freezer either way, may as well keep it filled up with the good stuff!!!
And I was wrong about the price, it is .97/lb!!!! LOL
Not sure but just pulled HEB price for a Boston butt and it is $3.11 per lbs. So you are doing good to get them for $.99 per lbs

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpeg
    IMG_4485.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 18
Still stocking up today!!! I think that's 8 total. Sausage making time is right around the corner and all summer for pulled pork!!! Never have too many pork butts!!! Running a big *** freezer either way, may as well keep it filled up with the good stuff!!!
And I was wrong about the price, it is .97/lb!!!! LOL
for sausage I prefer it to be made out of whole big fat sows.

Attachments

• IMG_2047.jpeg
    IMG_2047.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 14
We mix 50/50 deer meat and pork butts. Makes good German style sausage for us. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to smoked sausage.

On a side note we mix 50/50 brisket and deer meat to make hamburger. Excellent.