Caliber size or Velocity and Energy?

You have to be careful with the 6.5 prc because the 6.5 creedmoor is a absolute animal so basically the 6.5 prc is a creedmoor on steroids or a howitzer.
Comparing the 6.5 prc to a 300 WM is basically like comparing a ford eco boost to a 5.0L
Nothing compares to a eco -boost on planet earth.
When you put a eco -boost to the floor the earth spins quicker and the days are shorter.

Who compares one of the BEST BC bullets in its class to a 180 Accubond anyway 🤣 ...Of course the 6.5 outclasses it.

Now be fair and compare this with a real 300 WM bullet...210/215/230 Berger at say 2850 FPS...

Agreed, this would be an apples to apples comparison.

And that's if you consider comparing the 6.5 PRC to the 300 WM apples and apples. 🤔

I'm late to this party but here is my 2 cents !
Im sure the 6.5 prc could do the job ...but just like using a 338 Rum and 300 gr bergers if you dont hit the "G" spot you will be tracking the critter into the next zip code .

It was 20 plus years ago I took a group of guys to Colorado Elk /Deer hunting . We were standing in Line at the Hardware store in Meeker Co. to get our licenses.
I'm looking at the wall behind the lady and see lots of ammo for sale ...there was every flavor you could imagine. But there was a huge stack of 338 win.and 270 win.
Being the smart young ladd in our group I asked the Lady why there was so much of the 270 and 338 win.
Now she replied with the biggest Smile ..you Out of Staters think you need a 338win to kill your game ...us Locals we just use a "270 win" for our game ! I swear everybody in that line was laughing.

To this day I dont Own a 270 win. Lol
I'm still on the 338 Kick ! Ha ha
Best advice to you practice with what ever your going to hunt with at all distances you have available. Just dont take crazy shots and you will have a great hunt !

Rum Man

I'm late to this party but here is my 2 cents !
Im sure the 6.5 prc could do the job ...but just like using a 338 Rum and 300 gr bergers if you dont hit the "G" spot you will be tracking the critter into the next zip code .

It was 20 plus years ago I took a group of guys to Colorado Elk /Deer hunting . We were standing in Line at the Hardware store in Meeker Co. to get our licenses.
I'm looking at the wall behind the lady and see lots of ammo for sale ...there was every flavor you could imagine. But there was a huge stack of 338 win.and 270 win.
Being the smart young ladd in our group I asked the Lady why there was so much of the 270 and 338 win.
Now she replied with the biggest Smile ..you Out of Staters think you need a 338win to kill your game ...us Locals we just use a "270 win" for our game ! I swear everybody in that line was laughing.

To this day I dont Own a 270 win. Lol
I'm still on the 338 Kick ! Ha ha
Best advice to you practice with what ever your going to hunt with at all distances you have available. Just dont take crazy shots and you will have a great hunt !

Rum Man
LOL! JOC is rolling in his grave. I am a late bloomer in the .270 Win, but the 165/175 Matrix and faster barrel twist changed it for me when I built a .270 AI with a 1:8" 3G 30" Lilja barrel in 2012. I agree with you, practice, practice, practice, and know the rifle and load set-up/NUT behind the trigger's limitations.

Some people need to read a book or 3 on what makes up terminal ballistics. One thing that is commonly not considered in these ford vs Chevy arguments is bullet sectional density. Next is overall bullet construction and intent. Think an armor piercing bullet vs a round nose. It's a combination or sum of things, not just one.

Since this is a long range page you have to consider what is long range to the average person on this page. For me… elk…. Conditions, we are liking looking at is 600 plus. This is where I'd focus my considerations on terminal and external ballistics. The 6.5 Prc is no joke, just like the saum, 6.5-284, 6.5-06…. Generally it's felt the 6.5 overall is a bit "light" for a heavier bodied animal. What does that mean tho, light? Some follow the fps rule and others follow energy. If you notice bullet manufacturers print minimal fps for required acceptable expansion and do not discuss energy. I think reasonable minded people take both into consider and add in what the bullet is designed to do. I have no issue packing my 6.5 prc into elk country but I also know my shot placement is critical to success. I've guided plenty of elk hunts and assure you I've chased plenty of elk hit incorrectly with 30 and 338 cals that are disheartening.

Wow, 6.5PRC too light for elk.....

Need to tell the Swede's that their 6.5X55, that they've been using for decades, is too light for moose.

Seen videos of elk taken with 243 Win & 257Roberts.
When i was a young boy, my father stopped by a butcher shop owned by a guy he knew.
The rear part of the building is where he did the killing.
Anyway he had pulled a big steer in there with a rope tied to the bumper of his pickup, which then went thru a large steel ring on the floor and then tied to a ring in the steers nose.
He easily pulled that steers head right down to the floor.
He then put the barrel of a rusty old 22 rifle into the steers ear, and when he pulled the trigger the lights went out instantly for that big steer.
Which verifies the old cliche about what the important thing is when choosing a cartridge for hunting.
But all that said, your own on the job experiences will ultimately dictate your choices for long range hunting cartridges.

I have been told that my 6.5 PRC is too light for elk and I am sure many of you on here will agree. But I when I look at the ballistics, my 156gr Berger with H1000 have more energy and velocity after 400yds than my buddy's 300wm with 180gr ABs. which is an acceptable elk cartridge. Since hunting bullets are made to expand why is initial bullet size important?
Now do a 160 gr. AB at 3300 fps from the 7STW...

But like I've said before, if I can kill one with an arrow, you can kill one with your 6.5mm Super Zapper.

In some ways yes, in other ways not so different. I like a fast, fat wound channel with both. The primary difference is hydrostatic shock.
Broadheads do not crush and destroy tissue, they rely solely on loss of blood to kill.
Bullets rely on crushing/destroying tissue, bone, etc to kill.
Thats what I meant.
Both are effective, just in different manners.

Just so a couple of people here know those guys with there faces blacked out are two guys I didn't even know volunteered to help my guide retrieve my elk. My stroke prevented me from even getting a pic with him. Seems to me they have more soul than some will ever have. Pm is open

Jimmy

When i was a young boy, my father stopped by a butcher shop owned by a guy he knew.
The rear part of the building is where he did the killing.
Anyway he had pulled a big steer in there with a rope tied to the bumper of his pickup, which then went thru a large steel ring on the floor and then tied to a ring in the steers nose.
He easily pulled that steers head right down to the floor.
He then put the barrel of a rusty old 22 rifle into the steers ear, and when he pulled the trigger the lights went out instantly for that big steer.
Which verifies the old cliche about what the important thing is when choosing a cartridge for hunting.
But all that said, your own on the job experiences will ultimately dictate your choices for long range hunting cartridges.
We still use the 22lr to butcher steer & hogs. Occasionally the mag needs to be used on a hard headed hog. 17 HMR at 50 yrds also will drop a steer with the same SHOT PLACEMENT.