Caliber size or Velocity and Energy?

Txcowboy50

I have been told that my 6.5 PRC is too light for elk and I am sure many of you on here will agree. But I when I look at the ballistics, my 156gr Berger with H1000 have more energy and velocity after 400yds than my buddy's 300wm with 180gr ABs. which is an acceptable elk cartridge. Since hunting bullets are made to expand why is initial bullet size important?

Last edited:
I have been told that my 6.5 PRC is too light for elk and I am sure many of you on here will agree. But I when I look at the ballistics, my 156gr Berger with H1000 have more energy and velocity of my buddy's 300wm with 180gr ABs. which is an acceptable elk cartridge. Since hunting bullets are made to expand why is initial bullet size improtant?
Your 6.5 prc is plenty for elk.

A. No matter how you slice the pie (or make apples to oranges comparisons), the 6.5PRC will not have a ballistic advantage over a 300WM.

B. "Initial bullet size" matters because both bullets will expand and the larger diameter bullet will have more frontal mass/diameter, thus resulting in a larger wound channel, all things being equal.

It's just my opinion, but any 30cal mag would make a more efficient elk cartridge than a 6.5PRC. Will the PRC work; sure, and so will the 6.5 Creed as noted by shooters right here on LRH.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.

A. No matter how you slice the pie (or make apples to oranges comparisons), the 6.5PRC will not have a ballistic advantage over a 300WM.

B. "Initial bullet size" matters because both bullets will expand and the larger diameter bullet will have more frontal mass/diameter, thus resulting in a larger wound channel, all things being equal.

It's just my opinion, but any 30cal mag would make a more efficient elk cartridge than a 6.5PRC. Will the PRC work; sure, and so will the 6.5 Creed as noted by shooters right here on LRH.

Use whatever you're comfortable with.

I have been told that my 6.5 PRC is too light for elk and I am sure many of you on here will agree. But I when I look at the ballistics, my 156gr Berger with H1000 have more energy and velocity after 400yds than my buddy's 300wm with 180gr ABs. which is an acceptable elk cartridge. Since hunting bullets are made to expand why is initial bullet size important?
Unless you give us actual velocities for the 6.5 PRC 156 Berger and 300 WM 180 AB, we have no way of knowing/validating the velocity and energy. "My" unwritten rule is ~1500 FT-LBS and minimum velocity for the bullet to expand effectively at POI. I know many people do not put much value on KE, and that's OK. Below is an old thread that might be beneficial for you.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/energy-or-bullet-diameter-most-important.176151/

As far as I know, Norma is the first to measure/present KE with gel tests; I know others will call it a marketing scheme but let the end users decide.

Last edited:
Your 6.5 prc is plenty for elk.

Seen videos of elk taken with 243 Win & 257Roberts.
I'm no expert on elk hunting and I'll guess whoever told you the 6.5 is too light is even less a expert than me.
A good bullet at a reasonable range in the boiler room and you have a dead elk with the 6.5

After looking over a few elk shot with a 300 rum and 200 grain accubond and a 6.5 140 grain Berger vld I know which one causes more internal damage. Both still cause the 20 yard stumble and fall. Killing things just isn't that hard

Actually (apples to oranges) my handloaded 156 Bergers : mv 2920 ft/sec and 2954 ft/lbs @ 500yds 2271 ft/sec and 1787 ft/lbs compared to factory 300wm accubond trophy grade: mv 2950 ft/sec and 3477 ft/lbs @ 500yds 2089 ft/sec and1745 ft/lbs The 6.5 PRC has better ballistics, in this case beyond 475 yds.
Below is what I got using Berger calc 156 G7=.347, 180 NAB G1=.507 at 3300' with a 200Y zero:

1676144436587.png

1676144727922.png