Caliber for medium range Elk

My daughter 19,g an elk every year with a 270 wsm. Great round low recoil. All but one have been 1 shot kills most went less than 20 yards if not dead right there.
I have been wanting to learn what Loads most fans of the 270WSM Like the best. can you help me out a little ? Thanks and MERRY Christmas

I have never had a problem with a 280 AI in 30 years of use. Burns less powder than the magnums but has plenty of down range umph. If you really want a short action, the 300 Wsm is a great cartridge.
You nailed it for me...it's a coin flip between the 280ai and 300WSM for the job the original post called for. I take both on every elk hunt and each serves as back up for the other. I zero them at 300 and shoot 160 gr in 280ai and 180 gr in 300WSM. I never notice recoil in either when in hunt mode. Really like both these choices especially if you handload!

0-600 yards? How many decades did so many of us use the old stand byes 270, 280 and 30-06 with the occasional hunter using a 264WM and 7RM thrown in? Given our lowest recoil request, personally, I would go with the 264WM or the 280/280AI, but for a long time, I used a 270 with 140/150gr at that range or the 30-06 with 165's and 180's.

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!

I'll stick to the cartridges you mentioned and without a brake.

280 AI with the 162gr SST or 154gr Interbond, low recoil.

30-06 with a 165gr Interbond or 165gr SST, also low recoil

I like Hornady as you can see and for your max range of 600 yds, BC's dont matter much.

You do not need a magnum, I have a 7mm Rem Mag and love it but you don't need more than the cartridges I mentioned. Now if you do have the itch for a magnum I'd go with the 7mm Rem Mag with the 162gr SST, same recoil as the 30-06 and with that bullet well placed its an awesome fast killer.

Now if you are in to lead free then I'd use Hammer bullets with the cartridges I mentioned.

Whatever you choose, bullet selection and shot placement will be what matters most.

I think your on the right track. For 0-600 your first three choices are exactly what I'd choose too. A lot of people don't think about how the rifle fits you and the ergonomics of it regarding recoil. A proper fitting stock made of carbon or similar materials will seem to eat a lot of recoil. 7-7.5lb bare rifle with a stock that fits you and your normal shooting positions well can make a huge difference in recoil and your ability to control the rifle after the shot, thus building more confidence in your ability to shoot that rig. I certainly wouldn't go any lighter than that if low recoil is the goal. Good luck making your decision, you can't lose with any of those options!

No, I ordered mine October 2018 and got it at the end of this last September. Like it so much I was going to order another in 6 Creedmore but have another Cooper coming instead. I grew up lusting over classic wood and blued steel.

Is the quality still there? Heard mixed reviews the last couple of years. A nul A is my dream hunting rifle,but I love good wood and blueing! Missed a lefty on here a few months back. How do you like yours in 284?

I have been wanting to learn what Loads most fans of the 270WSM Like the best. can you help me out a little ? Thanks and MERRY Christmas

For factory 270 WSM ammo, I like the Barnes Vor-TX 140 Grain with the TSX-BT bullet. I also have handloads using the 130 Gr TSX-BT for Mule Deer. I have found that most guns shoot Barnes TSX ammo very well...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.