Sporters for medium to long range?

SILENT-SNIPER

Looking for some advice.

I currently am using a Rem 700 BDL SS 300Win Mag. This rifle has shot 1" 100yd groups with 168gr NBT at 3200fps and .7" groups with 208gr A-max at 2700fps. This is for deer hunting out to 550yds.

I am considering a B&C Medalist or Hart Accublock stock, or maybe replacing the rifle with something more suited for longer ranges such as a Sendero or 111LRH.

How many of you use sporters for shots out to 600yds?Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I have had excellent success using sportier weight rifles out to 500-600 yards. My Model 70 super grade in 270WSM with 140 gr. Ballistic Tips will keep 3 shots in 4" pretty consistently at 600 yards. The mulie photo in my signature was taken with a frontal neck shot at 450 yards with this rifle. The biggest difference compared to my heavy rigs is that I have to be much more conscious of a consistant grip/hold with the lighter weight sporters to get accuracy at the longer ranges. The heavy weight rifles are much less sensitive to rifle hold due to better damping.

no need to buy a stock, send it to a reputable gunsmith and have it bedded. You should be able to have this done for around $200, stock will be more. Use the extra cash to buy a good trigger or rangefinder/mounts/scope/more rounds to practice or better your reloading equipment

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts