Long, short, or medium action?

C-130 Dude

A few companies are starting to make medium length actions to help out with cartridge length issues. I've mostly used long or short actions but a thought occurred to me. Is it possible to use a cartridge normally requiring a short action in a long action? Such as, using a .308 in a long action. Never thought about this, but am curious. Pros/cons? Could it be done? Any thoughts out there?

I've run wsms in a factory 700 ultramag action and a defiance anTi LA with great results using BDL bottom metal
Is it a matter of using the long action, but you change the bolt head for use in a .308 (example), then get the barrel fit for bore? I have had trouble in the past with cartridges being too long for use in mags. This idea seems on the surface to be a fix. Or am I way off base here? Maybe more to it than I think?

I prefer using a long action for the shorter cartridges just for the added magazine length for seating the bullets long. The first one I ever did this on was a 22-6mm IMP with 80 gr Bergers. I used a Rem 700 LA for a donor. Works just fine. My .02

I prefer using a long action for the shorter cartridges just for the added magazine length for seating the bullets long. The first one I ever did this on was a 22-6mm IMP with 80 gr Bergers. I used a Rem 700 LA for a donor. Works just fine. My .02
Very cool! What issues (if any) did you have mating the mag to the long action in regard to the shorter type cartridge? My intention is to utilize a Rem 700 long action in .308 using a 5 or 10 rd magazine. This would get around the cartridge oal limitation of the short action I now have. This idea may be a crap shoot (at best), but im curious. I see cans of worms here? What say you?

A few companies are starting to make medium length actions to help out with cartridge length issues. I've mostly used long or short actions but a thought occurred to me. Is it possible to use a cartridge normally requiring a short action in a long action? Such as, using a .308 in a long action. Never thought about this, but am curious. Pros/cons? Could it be done? Any thoughts out there?
I had an Interarms MarkX 243 win. It was built on a 98 Mauser so long action. No inssues, in fact it was exceptionally accurate. I wish I kept it.

The whole issue about SA, Medium, LA is the Stroke you need to complete the chambering cycle. Please Correct me if I am incorrect.
Yes you need to have an action the will properly chamber you cartridge. You need a SA or LA for you cartridge length.
Hunters shooters have a faster cycle time with a shorter length action. Thus the WSM, WSSM, Rem SAUM.
In a combat bolt action sniper rifle a shorter action means less cycle time faster shots. In PRS Competetion "Speed is your friend and -Time you enemy".
We always had SA & LA. Now bullet manufactures are making higher BC bullets which make them longer and heavier. To use these bullets effectly in a SA caliber doesn't work due to loading the bullet deeper into the case in order to fit the permissable magizine length.
So shoothers have to go to the LA. Action Manufacture noticed this trend and started making "Medium Actions". Using a caliber with a heavier/longer bullet into a Medium action still gives you a shorter stroke (less cycle time) and the use of a higher BC Bullet.
Curently there are only a few Action Manufactures that are making "Medium Action", but the trend is coming. Action Manufactures will have to make Medium actions, but there are many different configuratations so it will cost Manufactures a lot of $ss for re-tooling. For now the market wil dictate the manufacture of more Medium actions.
Personnaly I would like to see all three SA. Med, LA in all actions, for now you have to make the choice of a SA with limited bullets or use a LA. Another option is a "Single Shot" Action. Most of our (Jill & I) Bolt rifles are single shot so we can load any length bullet. Mostly for competetion, but when huntingt "ONE SHOT ONE KILL"
Thanks
Len & Jill

Put a recycled 243 Win barrel on a Remington 700 BDL LA that had been a 30-06 and it worked great; absolutely no feeding problems whatsoever and shot really well. Loved the way that I could seat bullets out just off the lands if I wanted. Messed it up when it turned into a Proof carbon barreled 280AI, never to be changed again by me.

The whole issue about SA, Medium, LA is the Stroke you need to complete the chambering cycle. Please Correct me if I am incorrect.
Yes you need to have an action the will properly chamber you cartridge. You need a SA or LA for you cartridge length.
Hunters shooters have a faster cycle time with a shorter length action. Thus the WSM, WSSM, Rem SAUM.
In a combat bolt action sniper rifle a shorter action means less cycle time faster shots. In PRS Competetion "Speed is your friend and -Time you enemy".
We always had SA & LA. Now bullet manufactures are making higher BC bullets which make them longer and heavier. To use these bullets effectly in a SA caliber doesn't work due to loading the bullet deeper into the case in order to fit the permissable magizine length.
So shoothers have to go to the LA. Action Manufacture noticed this trend and started making "Medium Actions". Using a caliber with a heavier/longer bullet into a Medium action still gives you a shorter stroke (less cycle time) and the use of a higher BC Bullet.
Curently there are only a few Action Manufactures that are making "Medium Action", but the trend is coming. Action Manufactures will have to make Medium actions, but there are many different configuratations so it will cost Manufactures a lot of $ss for re-tooling. For now the market wil dictate the manufacture of more Medium actions.
Personnaly I would like to see all three SA. Med, LA in all actions, for now you have to make the choice of a SA with limited bullets or use a LA. Another option is a "Single Shot" Action. Most of our (Jill & I) Bolt rifles are single shot so we can load any length bullet. Mostly for competetion, but when huntingt "ONE SHOT ONE KILL"
Thanks
Len & Jill
Thanks for the info.

I really never considered changing calibers to shorter and fatter cartridge. I've got a Defiance Anti X LA for a 280ai and would like to get a 20" barrel more suited for suppressor usage. I keep hearing the shorter and fatter cartridges suffer less velocity degradation from shorter barrels. Any issues ordering another bolt and barrel and shooting say a 30 WSM in this setup?