Long or short Stiller action?

kimberyote

I want to shoot 95 or 105 bergers in a repeating 243 win. Long or short action?
Hinge floor plate or magazine feed?
What options should I look for in a stock?
This will be a walking/ambush coyote rifle.

I called stiller. The answer was not 100% either way. Talked to berger and same type of non answer. Not to offend either one, but the answer seems not as cut & dry as I first thought.
Thanks in advance!

My 243 is a short action. Dont matter what bullet you shoot....if your going to make a repeater out of it you have to seat the bullet deep enough to clear the magazine anyway.

My .243 AI is built on a short action and all I shoot is the 105gr Berger, it was built for that bullet...I would think a long action might run into some feeding issues...

Short. All stiller predators are inletted for a Wyatt's box. Go that route, I agree going long may lead to feeding issues. Especially a 243 AI.

Awesome! What are your OAL's? Are you chasing your lands?
Talked to douglas barrels today. They said for the 105 berger I will need a 104-110 thou lead in throat. They suggested a 3'' box magazine which means long action they said.

Can you seat your bullets into the lands and still cycle smoothly with hinge floor plate or Wyatt's box mag?
I too am building around the 105 berger. Any downside with that bullet blasting yotes?
Whats your furthest kill on a critter?
Thanks a million guys!

My OAL is 2.888" with a 105 Berger in my 243AI. I generally seat my VLD'S .015-.025" off the lands. That's the sweet spot I've found. My furthest kill with that rifle was 729 on a whitetail doe.

I run a Stiller Tac-30 short action .243 win. McMillian stock

At first i ran a factory Remington hinged floorplate(trying to stay away from the tactical look of a magazine)
115 D-tacs, 105 bergers, and 105 A-max Want feed! the fit in the internal mag fine loaded at 2.8"-2.84" COAL, when feeding off the factory offset follower they get caught at an angle and the long bullets will go into the chamber at an upward angle jamming it up. 95gr ballistic tip factory ammo feeds fine.

My Fix: The Badger Ord, PTG box, or anything running AI mags will feed the longer bullets fine(buddy runs that w/ 105 bergers) feeds beautifully, the AI mags are more of a centerfeed design. i didnt wanna drop$120-$250 on detach mag floor, and $70 magazines and esp still didnt want a mag hanging out the bottom of my beautiful stock. Wyatt Outdoor sells a CFE-5 and CFE-6 internal box and F-7follower to work with factory remington floorplate and follower spring.The(6) is remington factory size box and the(5) is made to extend the COAL .110" it is an internal box w/ more of a centerfeed design and follower.This design is not of the in-line type. The cartridges will sit in the box staggard and will pop to center when pushed forward... it works as if i was running AI mags. I shoot 105-Amax at 0.010 off the lands and have done testing touching to .090 off w/ OAL around the 2.840" length i believe and everything feeds fine.

i may be wrong about the exact COAL but i do know they are greater than 2.8, as i seldom check coal as i measure off the ogive i will try to measure some soon and give you exacts.

Last edited:
I believe mine are right at 2.8...but its a Berger so measuring off the tip varies, best to go off the ogive if you can.

My farthest kill was a whitetail doe at 500, thru both shoulders, DRT. gun)

I use factory bottom metal along with a WSM mag spring box (dunno what its called?) and it cycles fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.