Caliber for medium range Elk

My 7SAUM does a sweet job in a Rem model 7 platform. Floated the barrel, bedded the action. Medium power optic and you've got a great carry rifle.

Edit: and it doesn't kick like a mule either!

I have also killed mature bulls with the .243 and 25/06. The latter and old 120 gr NP's was quite good. These days one of my .270's goes along with me. It is very effective with 150 NP's @ 3000 fps m.v/ 22"barrel. I won't carry a long tubed rifle anymore. The 25/06 is now off the list

A 10 lb rife would be a lot of weight to carry in elk country. You can pack it on a horse but it is still a lot of steel. I saw a man with a big scope and a 7 RUM shoot a cow elk at 400+ yds. Bad thing was that it was a spike and he had only an antlerless tag. Of 9 elk I shot in Wyoming 1 was at 300, 1 at 125, and the rest at 60 or less. I even shot one at 7 steps. Long range shooting in the mountains is tough.

Whenever recoil or lack thereof is mentioned as a factor in buying a gun I always say....find a friend with a caliber 3 times what you are hesitant to buy ......shoot ten rounds...then get your 30 Cal and shoot ten more....you will wonder what the heck you were thinking....that and limbsaver pad will make all the difference! ( Oh....and a big boy set of undies!)
How to you determine "3 times what your are hesitant to buy". A .90 caliber? Or 6000 fps?

A 143 to 150 grain 6.5 mm bullet from a 6.5 PRC cartridge will do it on a bull elk or moose to 500 yards with about 1,500 ft./lbs. of energy. That's the energy needed for a clean kill on that size of an animal with proper bullet placement.

That's why I got a Browning X-Bolt Pro in that cartridge - and sold that same model I had a year earlier in 6.5 Creedmoor. That makes two 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifles I've sold. I sense a pattern here.

But I SURE as heck don't want a 6.5/300 Weatherby!

Eric B.

That rifle is not a rifle to pack around the mountain.

Says who?

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

Can be if set up in the right stock with a quality muzzle break.

It can be tolerable but even the most efficient brakes on the market can only reduce felt recoil by about 60%, maybe 70% at most.

Identically equipped rifles compared to a 300wm and .264 wm or 6.5 PRC will have lower felt recoil by about half.

You can greatly reduce the "rocket motor effect" with a quality brake or suppressor but you can't eliminate the equal and opposite reaction.

Heavier bullets, more powder, you're just going to have more recoil.

True, but if you find yourself on a long range hunting forum, would you not assume that heavy-for caliber (high BC) bullets are more desirable for this crowd?

Not for everyone. Until you get beyond about 600yds there isn't really a noticeable difference in performance because of the higher BC's.

For a whole lot of hunters "Long Range" would be 300 yards, maybe even less. Something like 90-95% of hunters will never take a shot over 200yds.

Not for everyone. Until you get beyond about 600yds there isn't really a noticeable difference in performance because of the higher BC's.

For a whole lot of hunters "Long Range" would be 300 yards, maybe even less. Something like 90-95% of hunters will never take a shot over 200yds.
Yes, 90-95 of all hunters, but on this particular site...?

good to know about BC. I guess I hadn't considered it too closely before, I'd thought that higher BC yielded better accuracy at all ranges (as an average), not just at extended range.

Probably not the norm response here but I would use my 257 WTBY without hesitation to 600 yards. Minimal recoil and flat shooting. Just my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.