Long Range Elk Gun, What caliber you would choose?

Well based on life expectancy few will last half as long as the Belted magnums have already!
Just takes a little education on what the belt is.
Check back with me if I am wrong in 60 Years!!!

Well based on life expectancy few will last half as long as the Belted magnums have already!
Just takes a little education on what the belt is.
Check back with me if I am wrong in 60 Years!!!
Technological advancement is now literally accelerating at an exponential pace compared to the mid point of the last century.

With computer modeling of cartridges, Quick Design and Quick Load and other proprietary tech not to mention all of the advancements in powders and bullets it's a whole new world.

Even the one thing that helped a handful of cartridges dominate the market in the last century, US Military Procurement, the equation is changed since they are going to non reloadable lightweight composite cases for the future.

Millions of GI's who fought in three wars came home believing the 06 was the penultimate achievement in rifle cartridges, then millions more became convinced of the legendary prowess of the 7.62x51 and 5.56 and that's what they chose for their sporting rounds and often in the same platform they were issued.

Now it's who can get their new proprietary cartridge into the hands of winning competition shooters and time that with mass rollouts of factory rifles ammo, and components.

Just not the same world we grew up in and started our hunting and shooting careers in.

One thing that seems inescapable though is the slow demise of the belted magnums for anything other than small niche and custom markets.

By mid century they are all likely to be obsolete.

Technological advancement is now literally accelerating at an exponential pace compared to the mid point of the last century.

With computer modeling of cartridges, Quick Design and Quick Load and other proprietary tech not to mention all of the advancements in powders and bullets it's a whole new world.

Even the one thing that helped a handful of cartridges dominate the market in the last century, US Military Procurement, the equation is changed since they are going to non reloadable lightweight composite cases for the future.

Millions of GI's who fought in three wars came home believing the 06 was the penultimate achievement in rifle cartridges, then millions more became convinced of the legendary prowess of the 7.62x51 and 5.56 and that's what they chose for their sporting rounds and often in the same platform they were issued.

Now it's who can get their new proprietary cartridge into the hands of winning competition shooters and time that with mass rollouts of factory rifles ammo, and components.

Just not the same world we grew up in and started our hunting and shooting careers in.

One thing that seems inescapable though is the slow demise of the belted magnums for anything other than small niche and custom markets.

By mid century they are all likely to be obsolete.
Learn what you are looking at.
I always like when people think fashion steps over science.
Not saying it cannot happen just not yet.
Check Back in 60 years unless we have powders that can propel bullets to 5k fps and BC's of 1.900 in a 30 cal

Learn what you are looking at.
I always like when people think fashion steps over science.
Not saying it cannot happen just not yet.
Eh? I've been watching the belted magnums fade in popularity now for almost three decades.

That's why there are now so many non belted magnums on the market and rifles to shoot them.

I'm not giving up on my .264's, 300wm's and certainly not my STW's but I recognize that by mid century they'll all be obsolete.

We both know there's nothing at all inferior about belted magnums but two generations of shooters and "experts" have been convinced there is.

I'd rather ride the wave than be the old man shaking his fist at it as it consumes him.

Mostly though when people ask for guidance instead or promoting my favorites I'll point them in the direction I think will benefit them the most.

Eh? I've been watching the belted magnums fade in popularity now for almost three decades.

That's why there are now so many non belted magnums on the market and rifles to shoot them.

I'm not giving up on my .264's, 300wm's and certainly not my STW's but I recognize that by mid century they'll all be obsolete.

We both know there's nothing at all inferior about belted magnums but two generations of shooters and "experts" have been convinced there is.

I'd rather ride the wave than be the old man shaking his fist at it as it consumes him.

Mostly though when people ask for guidance instead or promoting my favorites I'll point them in the direction I think will benefit them the most.
I still wonder why NEW Barrett MRAD, Christensen MPR, Ruger RPR all have 300 Win Mag as a New offering!
Why Not some New State of the Art 30 Cal.

I still wonder why NEW Barrett MRAD, Christensen MPR, Ruger RPR all have 300 Win Mag as a New offering!
Why Not some New State of the Art 30 Cal.
By the way....

Just recently, Christensen Arms has released three exciting new calibers with the MPR including: 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and 338 Lapua Magnum.

As for the MRAD.. .

The RPR

All are being offered in 6.5PRC and 300PRC.

By the way....

As for the MRAD.. .

The RPR

All are being offered in 6.5PRC and 300PRC.
Well marketing sells and Hornady is the master at it.

Well marketing sells and Hornady is the master at it.
So true, our cartridges are driven by sales and marketing, at first we had no belts, then we had belts and now we are going back to no belts? perhaps... My money says after no belts we'll back to belts again sometime in the future. But in any case, its sales and marketing-driven, just like the pretty color on fishing lures most of the flash and glow, is for the buyer not necessary the fish. Just my 0.2 Cheers

The belt served a purpose in its day starting with the .300 and 375 H&H many WWII aircraft and anti-aircraft and anti-armor (light tanks) guns used belted cases. America... kinda saw its main push of the belted magnum in 1956 which was with the 458 Win Mag, later sales and marketing liked the idea of the Mag belt and started popping out cartridges like the .338 Win Mag, .264 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag... and we can include Norma in this one, magnum sales skyrocketed. Inter the .300 Win Mag and all the others coming off the .300 H&H case, and we can include Weatherby in this one. From what I understand the parent of the aforementioned cartridges was the .458 Win Mag, why the belt? because it was a straight-walled case and need to headspace off the belt, the others were just fluff, must the Magnum I've shot over the years I neck sized and head spaced them off the shoulder anyway.

Remember Newton was making none belted magnum-type cartridges long before the US and belted cartridge craze.

Sure there's a lot more to the story, most of the time in ballistics conversation like in case design and the reason why you can have two contrary beliefs, and actually, both can be somewhat right at the same time.

Just my 0.2 Cheers

QUOTE: America... kinda saw its main push of the belted magnum in 1956 which was with the 458 Win Mag, later sales and marketing liked the idea of the Mag belt and started popping out cartridges like the .338 Win Mag, .264 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag... and we can include Norma in this one, magnum sales skyrocketed. Inter the .300 Win Mag and all the others coming off the .300 H&H case, and we can include Weatherby in this one

I may be wrong but Winchester wanted a magnum cartridge at 30-06 length. I think that the 300 WM came first......the .264, .338, and .458 were all based off of the .300 WM case. memtb

QUOTE: America... kinda saw its main push of the belted magnum in 1956 which was with the 458 Win Mag, later sales and marketing liked the idea of the Mag belt and started popping out cartridges like the .338 Win Mag, .264 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, 7 Rem Mag... and we can include Norma in this one, magnum sales skyrocketed. Inter the .300 Win Mag and all the others coming off the .300 H&H case, and we can include Weatherby in this one

I may be wrong but Winchester wanted a magnum cartridge at 30-06 length. I think that the 300 WM came first......the .264, .338, and .458 were all based off of the .300 WM case. memtb
Nope, 338wm is based off of the .458wm who's parent was the 375 H&H case.

The .300wm was based straight off of the H&H and .264 as well. There is a 6.5-300wm wildcat but it has a little higher case capacity. At the time with the powders available the increased volume could not be utilized without seriously shortening the already short barrel life of the .264wm.

I've been a longtime lurker on this site, but never posted.
I've been thinking about putting together a new rifle that would function as gun that would have enough go to anchor an elk out to 1000 yards.
Pretend that components are not impossible to find, which would you choose?
To use as a guideline some things to think about would be not an overwhelming about of recoil from a 9-11lb gun with a brake, 1500 ft/lbs out to 1000 yards, and either 7mm or 30 cal.

On paper I have yet to see something that can beat what a 28 Nosler or 7 RBH with 195 Berger going around 3175-3250(depending on which of the 2 you use).
I will say this. I killed my 1st one with a Remington ADL 270 WIN 130gr Silver Tip .
2nd one with 6.5 PRC.
It's not that hard.If I were to go n ack to WY and shoot another I'd try my newest gun.300 PRC..Why? Because ots the biggest I have and I'd take a longer shot. All that m ay sound silly.But probably every person on here loves to shoot real far.Its not rocket science .I dians h ave been killing Elk,Moose,Bison aka Buffaloe for centuries with spears and b I ws and arrows.Any go I d size rifle with proper bullet placement the big boy will fall down dead