Caliber choices

If you are out hunting on a far away trip and you lose your ammo, it gets misplaced or falls out of your pocket or whatrever... which round do you think a guide or a local sporting shop might have in stock? 300 win mag for $25-30 a box! It does everything you need and better than most. Lighter receivers than the ultramags and Weatherbys. I shot a Hornady Interlock bullet through a 1" block of cold rolled steel back in 1982. nuff said. Been in love ever since.

If you are out hunting on a far away trip and you lose your ammo, it gets misplaced or falls out of your pocket or whatrever... which round do you think a guide or a local sporting shop might have in stock? 300 win mag for $25-30 a box! It does everything you need and better than most. Lighter receivers than the ultramags and Weatherbys. I shot a Hornady Interlock bullet through a 1" block of cold rolled steel back in 1982. nuff said. Been in love ever since.

Which is why I always have spare ammo in the truck! If something happens to the truck, I won't be doing much hunting anyway. In fact, I also keep a spare rifle in there, too. Stuff does happen.
Cheers,
crkckr

I have two Cooler rifles in .30-06 and 6.5x284. Both came from the factory shooting one hole at at 100 yards. I truly love them. I have hunted everything but dangerous game with my .30-06 with excellent results. Having said that, moose are tough. I shot mine in the Holitna River in Alaska, four solid shots to drop it. If you want to hunt moose go for the .338 win mag. You won't go wrong. Having done it once I would take my .375 Ruger to Alaska if I had to do it over again.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
If you are looking for a wall hanger, get a Cooper. But in reality, they shoot not much better than a new Savage. (Ian will kill me for this as their factory is 17 miles from my house.) A 300 win mag is way too much rifle for whitetail deer. If that is your choice, that is fine. But my son shot a small whitetail buck at about 50 yards with a 308 and tuned its guts inside out. Literally, the heart and lungs were hanging out the far side of his body. If you can afford it, (and I think you can if you are considering a Cooper), I would pick up a 243, 6.5 Creedmore, or 270 for the whitetail and keep the 300 win mag if you ever get a chance to hunt elk or moose.

300 PRC
This round is going to make a serious splash
It certainly would amongst handloaders if it had better brass. I am seriously thinking of a 300 Blaser Magnum. It has the performance of the 300 Nosler in a better design and longer neck. 30° shoulder often cycle well too. It is basically a 300 Dakota with a standard Magnum rebated rim.

After doing some research i have decided to purchase a Cooper rifle. At the moment I am looking at a few different models. Depending on the caliber I choose depends on which model i get. My caliber choices are;300 win, 30 nosler,300 rum( low on the list),340 weatherby(very low on the list), 300 prc,7 win mag 338win or 33 nosler. The rifle will be primarly used for whitetail but will also be used for elk or moose if i ever get a chance to hunt them. What caliber would yall choose. If it helps i already have a 300 win that i might be looking at selling.
I had a cooper 300wm and it was a real tack driver i currently have a 30 nosler. I would try the 300 prc or the 30 nosler since you reload.
I wouldn't buy a cooper again considering you can buy some used custom guns on here for almost the same price

Just an fyi, the calibre is the diameter of the projectile.
You are after info to the choice of the cartridge I believe.
Just so you are aware they are 2 different things!

30-06 spr.
Hi Marc, personally I own 31 rifles of all calibers but the one (es) I use the most is the listed on your low list which is the 300 RUM, that rifle on big game such as moose, caribou and bear is always one shot kills even at long ranges up to 720 metres at which I have had success and have shot quite a few (I am 73 and hunt since I was 6 with my dad). The 300 RUM is my best rifle for big game although i also own 375 H&H, 45-70, 30-06, 7.69x58, 7mm Mag, and other high power rifles. My second best rifle for all big game is my 7mm Mag with a variety of loads and bullet weight depending on the animal hunted and is also excellent at long ranges although not as deadly as my 300 RUM. My third go-to rifle is a 7mm08 rifle which I use at closer range and denser wood for whitetail deer, it does an excellent job and I am extremely happy with its performance. If I hunt whitetail deer in more open ranges where long shots are available I then use my 7mm Mag. I have used all other rifles as well and soon will go into a sales of others as the ones I will keep will be my custom built 300 RUM, 7mm Mag and 7mm08. IT all depends on the game you hunt, the hunting environment, and the caliber you trust will handle the job best as well as the rifle that you are comfortable with the handling. If recoil is an issue go to muzzle break and a heavy rifle and it will solve the problem. My 300 RUM custom built from RMR in BC weighs 10.5 lbs with scope and sling and I LOVE IT! Good luck Marc!!

It certainly would amongst handloaders if it had better brass. I am seriously thinking of a 300 Blaser Magnum. It has the performance of the 300 Nosler in a better design and longer neck. 30° shoulder often cycle well too. It is basically a 300 Dakota with a standard Magnum rebated rim.
I hear you about Hornady brass, although it's priced pretty dang fair for the 300 PRC ($45/50 cases).
SOCOM is rebarreling the 300 win mag sniper rifles to 300 PRC so that alone should tell you that really good brass is coming, I'm going out on a limb and predicting that Lapua picks this one up in the next few years..
The 300 PRC is a very well designed cartridge that needs no special throating for heavy LR bullets.
Mark my words it'll be extremely popular and well supported.
Of course this is just my lowly opinion..:)

I shoot an 06 for just about all my hunting my last deer this season was taken at a little over 500 yds using a 200 great Hornady eldx bullet. That being said my self imposed limit of 500 yd applies to the 06 and it's optics a Burris full field 3x9 nicely. For longer ranges my 300 wby mag w redfield 6x18 scope and hand loaded 180 or 200 grn eldx are my go to. Your 300 win mag with the right bullet is awesome for deer and elk for moose in side 500 with a heavy bullet 200-220 great should be very effective. Kinda negates the need for two guns unless you are just itching to put another gun in the collection.

If you are looking for an all around rifle for most large games (deer, elk, moose caribou, bear) at close or long range go for the 7mm RMag, you will find a variety of bullet loads and weight, not overly priced, available most anywhere and a very wide selection of reload opportunities. It sometimes is tempting to go to the New calibers and loads if your into the ''new model waves'' which are not any more efficient but far to find ammunition as well as very costly. Keep to the well proven and demonstrated calibers and you wont regret it.

I have shoot elk with .270 Win., .300 Win. Mag., and .35 Whelen. I also own a number of other rifles/cartridges. The .35 Whelen is becoming my favorite, and I'm becoming a fan of the medium bores, but still use my .270 Win. a lot. Your .300 Win. Mag. will fit what you are looking for just fine. But if your a true gun guy a new rifle is always a good thing. If your also looking a rifle with different features (shock, finish, ect.) than what you have I'd get another .300 Win. Mag. But as you have a .300 Win. Mag. I'd keep it and get a .338 Win. Mag. They both will work grate for all the game you are thinking of go after and having both would give you more options. Or you can even look at going with a .338-06, .35 Whelen, .358 Norma Mag., or .358 STA. I see the .358 STA in my future, maybe even a .375 or .416.

Cooper has a good reputation. I talked to their sales person, Laura Kelly, as I had decided to purchase one of their rifles. She informed me that they are NOT a custom rifle builder and that one MUST buy their rifles through a dealer. If you want something special, I would recommend that you get around her, maybe talk to one of their gunsmiths [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts