Buying a new Vehicle

How do you know they were illegals?
Jill said they all jumped out of the car through a door and windows screaming in Spanish to get away so they didn't get caught and go to jail.
They pushed the car off a curb where it was stuck and jumped back into the windows while Jill was yelling for help from them.

No help as they listened Jill yell at them for HELP. Not even a thought given from them that Jill could be hurt. Hell they knocked her Pathfinder sideways in two lanes of oppositive direction. They looked at each other screaming and cursing and crawling over each fast as they could to get away. They burned rubber away down the road leaving my wife standing in the rain with a smashed in car. How do I know they were ILLEGALES?????
Not that they would have had anything happen to them because Police are told to let them go. Probably would have been taken to the PD and then let go.

Now Just looking for what the vehicle market is doing. Will have to buy something tomorrow or Sunday.
Thanks

Len & Jill

Len, good to hear Jill is OK.
If I was to buy a new vehicle at this point I would get a Rav 4 or Highlander hybrid. They get really good milage,and tend to be very reliable. Here in Wisconsin we get charged an extra 75 bucks every year for plates if we drive a hybrid. The politicians want us to go green , then charge us more to do it.

If I was going to buy used I would have to do some homework, but at this point would lean toward Nissan,Subaru, or Toyota. Maybe not the coolest vehicles to drive,but tend to be reliable and have high owner loyalty.

God bless and merry Christmas!!

If I was to buy a new vehicle at this point I would get a Rav 4 or Highlander hybrid. They get really good milage,and tend to be very reliable. Here in Wisconsin we get charged an extra 75 bucks every year for plates if we drive a hybrid. The politicians want us to go green , then charge us more to do it.

If I was going to buy used I would have to do some homework, but at this point would lean toward Nissan,Subaru, or Toyota. Maybe not the coolest vehicles to drive,but tend to be reliable and have high owner loyalty.

CP
Thanks
My best hunting buddy and second father bought Rav4s for years. We got a Rav4 for a rental from Interprise. The vehicle is kind of a dump,(rental) But my friend always bought the most expensive model. We don't need expensive now.

Really like Nissan. Had (six Maxiums a Frontier, and aPathfinder the latest.

AND Three Subaru Outback's. LOVED THEM - Company vehicles and bought after the lease. The last one in 2017 Subaru still did not have the Accent Available. We ended up with the Pathfinder,
Don't think we can but the Accent - Too Much maybe the Outback.
ORRR a Truck on the horizon.

Thank you
God Bless
Happy Holidays to you and your family

Just want to get Jill a good SAFE reliable vehicle.
I am so worried all the time. Guess this last vehicle saved her from any serious injury's Well built but now TOTALED.

God Bless and Merry Christmas to all!

Len & Jill

Last edited:
Are you considering buying new? Look at the Ford Maverick for a little run around vehicle, I can't call it a truck but it does have a bed and haul a little stuff. Brother in law has had great luck with his, my dad should get his any day, to save on wearing out his f-350 just going ice fishing and short hunting runs🤔. Either way, good reports on them and prices start pretty low. Oh and brother in-law reported 40 somethin mpg highway traveling to visit us. That's the base hybrid model I believe. Anyway, an idea.

I purchased a 2021 Chevy Silverado last March with 10k miles.
20220327_155828.jpg

Got it for 10k below book value.

Good deals are out there but are few and far between. Good luck!

Anyone buy a new vehicle lately???
I'm sure other members would be interested in this Post.

I see the prices are skyrocketed and low inventory on vehicles.

Jill was driving home late night from my spinal surgery and some illegal aliens hit her front passenger. They were scrambling like cockroaches in the dark when a light is turned on trying to get their car running and turned away from Jill. HIT AN RUN. Didn't care if Jill was hurt. They took off leaving her stranded. Police finally came and took all night till the next morning for Jill to get a ride from the Tow to our house.

BTW Police were GREAT helping Jill. It was storming out, she just left me in the hospital and was frantic being smashed into and no one to help. The police also said good luck even if the other person is caught. If they are Illegal and no insurance DL they just let them go per immigration policies.

Just got notice from our Insurance and the vehicle is Totaled. Huge loss. Insurance does not take into account how well you kept the vehicle, just what the computer sates it is worth. Have USAA and they are GREAT for customer service but can only do what the market dictates.

Had 100K miles so I did a complete make over on it. Just put $4K into new tires, brake pads, rotors, calipers, new fluid, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, trans fluid flush, coolant flush, oil, and all filters. Paint was exceptional with machine wax over the clear coat. My vehicles are always like new. Did all the work before I went in for surgery so Jill would have a basically new vehicle and not worry about anything if my surgery doesn't work out.
Now have to buy another vehicle.

Any thoughts on why vehicles are so high and what is a good deal or vehicle to buy. This one was a Pathfinder, before that was two Subaru Outbacks, also had several Ford Escapes as my company vehicles, but never like the Escapes.

Looking for a SUV Type for Jill. We already have a Nissan Frontier (2005 old but good shape).
Maybe just get another Truck since Jill likes trucks also.

Costs are a big factor since I am disabled and we lost so much in our IRAs and 401k since Brandon got in.
Also need to buy one fast since out rental vehicle is running out from the insurance policy.

Thanks
Len & Jill
I feel for you as to the non-recognition of all the 100 k maintenance you did and the "what the computer value says". My advice is to buy an older car unless you are into going to the dealer for every little adjustment/minor repair. The electronics these days make it so. My case in fact has to do with a warranty covered VVTI actuator cold start rattle in my Toyota Rav 4. The vehicle has been to the dealer four times for more than just one day and up to more than one week. They Claim," they hear nothing " "we fooled around with it" " be prepared to hear that we heard nothing", when I dropped it off. They treat you like a dummy and so do the people at the Phone number of the customer service center in the owner's manual. Bottom line is that they play the gas lighting game with you until you just have it done at your own expense. Never buy a new Toyota.

I am fond of my 2021 Tacoma and 2019 4Runner and I would suggest either. 4WD versions are about the same cost. BYW, the 4 Runner is still made in Japan so build quality is great and my 4 Runner is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned - and I have owned many over my life. The 4 Runner rides smoother than the Tacoma, my TRD Tacoma has off road options and rides rougher. Both of them have pretty good resale value if I ever decide to sell.

I feel for you as to the non-recognition of all the 100 k maintenance you did and the "what the computer value says". My advice is to buy an older car unless you are into going to the dealer for every little adjustment/minor repair. The electronics these days make it so. My case in fact has to do with a warranty covered VVTI actuator cold start rattle in my Toyota Rav 4. The vehicle has been to the dealer four times for more than just one day and up to more than one week. They Claim," they hear nothing " "we fooled around with it" " be prepared to hear that we heard nothing", when I dropped it off. They treat you like a dummy and so do the people at the Phone number of the customer service center in the owner's manual. Bottom line is that they play the gas lighting game with you until you just have it done at your own expense. Never buy a new Toyota.
Sorry to hear your story. Happens all too often.
Thanks
Len

I have gotten great service from Fords in the past and the last 2 Fords had over 300,000 miles when I sold them but now with Ford using turbo chargers on almost everything I just would not buy a Ford and I was a mechanic for 30 + years.12 of those years I worked on Turbines in the oil field but when I got back in the shop I maintained all our company vehicles.
The last suv we owned that was turbo charged it started using oil at 35,000 miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything about it.They said they all go through oil.I sold that suv and will not own another turbo charged automobile ever again.
Just my experience.
326,000 miles on my 99 F250 4 x 4 I am a ford man but don't like too many of the new engines either.

We need a SUV type with some room.
Doing the online thing searching for vehicles.
I was looking at Kia, Subaru, Nissan and their inventory is so low that they only have the highest priced all the bells and whistles models. Almost twice the base price.
They don't have any 2023 Ford Trucks and the base model four door 2022 starts at $48K. then goes into the $60 & $70s. Much of the 2022 truck inventory cost more than my first farm I bought.
No Inventory and super high prices. What has happened to our Country.
One good thing is that USAA readjusted the $$ for our Totaled vehicle. Now getting more than double trade in value and may still get more money from another coverage "Diminution In Value Claim".
Well off to the races hitting the dealers in the area. Maybe find a really good used one, but used vehicles prices are high also,

We need a SUV type with some room.
Doing the online thing searching for vehicles.
I was looking at Kia, Subaru, Nissan and their inventory is so low that they only have the highest priced all the bells and whistles models. Almost twice the base price.
They don't have any 2023 Ford Trucks and the base model four door 2022 starts at $48K. then goes into the $60 & $70s. Much of the 2022 truck inventory cost more than my first farm I bought.
No Inventory and super high prices. What has happened to our Country.
One good thing is that USAA readjusted the $$ for our Totaled vehicle. Now getting more than double trade in value and may still get more money from another coverage "Diminution In Value Claim".
Well off to the races hitting the dealers in the area. Maybe find a really good used one, but used vehicles prices are high also,
Look at NEW hyundai and kia. They have a lot of inventory now. I'd be prepared to make them offers and walk if they pretend they don't want to negotiate.