Snowy Vehicle Recovery

Last big snow we had, my neighbor called saying she was stuck up the road and asked if I could help. Now we are in the city and the snow was not that bad, I had a long enough strap where I could stay on dry pavement, put it in low and just ease her out. By the time I get out the door and down the road some guy had a strap already hooked up. Good, I'll just observe and go back home. That's when it happened.... the guy backs up gets about 5 feet of slack in the line and hits the gas! He slams the end of the rope as I am hollering at him to stop, he backs up to do it again and I get him to stop. He says, it's a strap, you have to do it that way. I bend down, unhook his strap and as politely as I can, ask him to move. I hook mine up, put it in low let the clutch out and ease the suburban out of the drift. After that I go make sure my wife knows to not let anybody other than me hook up to her car. A couple hard hits could have broke whatever the first guy had his strap hooked to. Sometimes you just don't know, hopefully that guy learned something from me, but I doubt it.
I know this thread is old but felt it important to add a little info that might save somebody's life. Using a jerk or yank strap or rope is fine, as long as you know what you're doing- everything that it is being attached to has to be able to withstand extreme *dynamic* loading. Straps can store an extreme amount of energy that can slingshot whatever is still on the end, at extreme speed. A receiver hitch ball insert is not the place to hook a strap. There is a good possibility that it could break free, sending said broken hitch parts through someone's head. There are several youtube videos out there proving hitch inserts aren't meant for that kind of dynamic loading and have killed people.

Straps with hooks on the end are risky. If it slips off at just the right time it could also become a projectile. I much prefer screw shackles. I could write a book on safety here, but just wanted to say be very mindful about what you hook your strap to, so I digress.

It was nice to see in this thread such a well executed, methodical recovery, and also as a good way to introduce people new to the 4 wheeling world the right way to do things.

I also wanted to mention, don't be afraid to air down more than 10 psi if you are already experienced with airing down and keep the speeds low. In an extreme situation where I was recovering a dad and his 2 very young sons from deep snow, on an evening where it was going to get to 20 below zero, I aired down to 2 psi to be able to float on top of the snow. I dont recommend 2 psi without beadlock wheels, but 5-6 psi gives you a much bigger footprint than 10 psi and if you're not able to make it out any other way it may make the difference. Always have a compressor and a way to re-seat the bead if it does come off (not going to post my method of re-seating tire beads as its dangerous as hell)

Thanks! Ya, a chainsaw would have gotten them through the tree, but nobody else had ventured past that fallen tree yet, so they would have been pushing through unbroken snow. Not sure if they could have made it out that way or not. I think that would have been shorter, and it was also downhill. Certainly an attractive option!

We had a couple of bow saws in our group yesterday, but no chainsaw. A couple of my buddies always have a chainsaw when driving off-pavement. A good saw is a great piece of gear!

Guy
In the group I used to snow wheel with we generally carried atleast two working chainsaws. It can be a sticky, messy tool to have. I'm looking at some of these new electric saws just for clearing roads.Leave my gas saw for firewood. Nice work Guy! Wheeling in the snow is a learned trait. Unfortunately commercials make it look like these new rigs can get through anything. No match for aired down rigs with 33' or bigger mudders, LSD or lockers. The main thing is the wheeling knowledge. That's best learned in a group of wheelers.

Not directly related, but hunters often end up driving backroads in snowy/icy conditions. Thought this might be of some interest:

Got the word last night that a family had abandoned their Nissan Armada SUV on a snow covered dirt road over on Badger Mountain, about 25 miles from my place. They'd been out looking at property in it, and had descended to a place where the road was blocked. They'd planned a reasonable route, downhill all the way, but a large fallen tree across the road blocked them. When they tried to drive the SUV back up to where they'd started... It wasn't up to the task.

Ultimately the young couple walked out with their two kids. They noticed some large "dog" tracks along the way... The area is known to have wolf, coyote, mountain lion and bears... Not sure what they saw tracks of, but entirely possible it was some large, furry predator.

The parents hiked back in on Monday, carrying tire chains. They were only able to get one chain on the front, and did make some progress towards getting out, but not enough. Last night our local 4wd community learned of their predicament. This morning four people headed out in three Jeeps to get that Nissan out of there! The couple met us at the end of the pavement and hopped in our Jeeps. I aired down to 10 psi for traction.

We drove down, down, and down some more. I was getting worried about getting my own Jeep out! I would not have gone down there, in winter, except if necessary. I guess this was necessary. We reached the Nissan Armada, and I was relieved to see that it had a pair of front tow hooks from the factory! Yes! I went to work with shovel, and shoved some Max Trax boards in front of the rear tires.
7v1NKFAl.jpg

My son spooled out some synthetic winch line from his 1998 Cherokee. Warn 8000 winch.
d03ZsnMl.jpg

wM9vW4Yl.jpg

VXcrkLhl.jpg

We got the second chain on the other front tire! The young lady took over driving, she did a beautiful job of "feather-footing" the accelerator. Very gentle. Nice, with minimum wheelspin.

Josh winched. She drove. We worked with shovel and the Max Trax boards. Got the Nissan up that first big hill! Vehicles re-positioned. My Wrangler took over winch chores. Deliberately drove my Jeep into the ditch adjacent to the road, and got it well stuck, in order to be able to winch up the considerably larger and heavier Nissan. I have an inexpensive but powerful Engo 10k winch. It did a wonderful job of pulling that big Nissan up! She drove, I winched, and up it came! :)
zGh0AACl.jpg

Time to time we added a recovery strap, or two, to lengthen our reach with the winch.
lk1U4dXl.jpg

I didn't get a photo of this, was too busy driving, but also towed the Nissan for about a half-mile up a couple of less-steep hills. My Jeep was in low range, first gear with the rear diff locked.

After four hours of work, using so many tools, we got the Nissan back to pavement! Today we used:
shovel
tire chains
recovery straps
winches (2)
Max Trax boards

And even my 5-gallon fuel can! The Nissan's V8 had burned through a lot of fuel, leaving the vehicle nearly empty. My Jerry can full of gas was very welcome, allowing the powerful V8 to assist with the hill climbing. It would have been a LOT tougher if we'd had to winch and pull the Armada up those hills without it working too.

I think what impressed me the most was the cool, calm teamwork demonstrated today. The two folks with the Nissan admitted that they knew little about four-wheeling, and had made a mistake even venturing onto that road, in these conditions. However, they were quick learners, listened well, and helped us, help them. The rest of us applied decades of four-wheeling knowledge to get them out, without damaging their vehicle, or ours. I reminded everyone that we were going to talk-through every move, do it right, not injure anyone or break anything expensive.

It all worked. Four hours of pretty intense, but not rushed, work. Vehicle is out. Family is all home and well. New friends were made and old friends had another good day of four-wheeling together. I rather enjoy these "rescue" missions. Always a challenge.

Lots of lessons learned by the new folks with their Nissan. :) I'm glad it all worked out for them. And for us.

Regards, Guy
Old thread or not.... Still pertains today!

JEEPS rule---- all others DROOL!!! I've been a Jeeper since I was 5 years old, we have had 14 in our family since then. My sons 74 CJ-5 is the latest addition. my snow recovery / get me close hunting vehicle is a 1981 CJ5, I've built the **** out of it, it has a 1995 4.3L Chevy vortec V-6, SM465 trans, Dana 300 T-case, Lockers front and rear, dual winches, front 9k Warn rear 6K Warn.... Gotta love the original SUV!!!

IMG_1575 (2).JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

My sons '74

IMG_4919.JPG

AMERICAN born, AMERICAN built!!!!

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but felt it important to add a little info that might save somebody's life. Using a jerk or yank strap or rope is fine, as long as you know what you're doing- everything that it is being attached to has to be able to withstand extreme *dynamic* loading. Straps can store an extreme amount of energy that can slingshot whatever is still on the end, at extreme speed. A receiver hitch ball insert is not the place to hook a strap. There is a good possibility that it could break free, sending said broken hitch parts through someone's head. There are several youtube videos out there proving hitch inserts aren't meant for that kind of dynamic loading and have killed people.

Straps with hooks on the end are risky. If it slips off at just the right time it could also become a projectile. I much prefer screw shackles. I could write a book on safety here, but just wanted to say be very mindful about what you hook your strap to, so I digress.

It was nice to see in this thread such a well executed, methodical recovery, and also as a good way to introduce people new to the 4 wheeling world the right way to do things.

I also wanted to mention, don't be afraid to air down more than 10 psi if you are already experienced with airing down and keep the speeds low. In an extreme situation where I was recovering a dad and his 2 very young sons from deep snow, on an evening where it was going to get to 20 below zero, I aired down to 2 psi to be able to float on top of the snow. I dont recommend 2 psi without beadlock wheels, but 5-6 psi gives you a much bigger footprint than 10 psi and if you're not able to make it out any other way it may make the difference. Always have a compressor and a way to re-seat the bead if it does come off (not going to post my method of re-seating tire beads as its dangerous as hell)
Very informative, Mr Magoo. I especially like the warning about straps with hooks or on reciever hitches.
The only other thing Id add is to NOT add chain to a strap. Same thing- it becomes a missile.
One more would be do NOT jerk on chains. Nearly decapitated a friend several years ago that way.
Four wheeling in the snow can be lots of fun, but if you're new to it go with experienced friends!

Very informative, Mr Magoo. I especially like the warning about straps with hooks or on reciever hitches.
The only other thing Id add is to NOT add chain to a strap. Same thing- it becomes a missile.
One more would be do NOT jerk on chains. Nearly decapitated a friend several years ago that way.
Four wheeling in the snow can be lots of fun, but if you're new to it go with experienced friends!
100% good to mention chains. I was using a tractor to pull a semi out of our haystack yard, with a chain. Almost had it but not quite. Backed up and gave it a little pop and my end of rhe broken chain came through my back window and hit the baler contoller box beside me. Destroyed the metal box.

Just one of the many times I came *this close* to death via stupidity. I figure at this point my guardian angels are debating whether I'm worth all that work keeping me on this side of the dirt 😄

Last edited:
Old thread or not.... Still pertains today!

JEEPS rule---- all others DROOL!!! I've been a Jeeper since I was 5 years old, we have had 14 in our family since then. My sons 74 CJ-5 is the latest addition. my snow recovery / get me close hunting vehicle is a 1981 CJ5, I've built the **** out of it, it has a 1995 4.3L Chevy vortec V-6, SM465 trans, Dana 300 T-case, Lockers front and rear, dual winches, front 9k Warn rear 6K Warn.... Gotta love the original SUV!!!

View attachment 427481
View attachment 427480

My sons '74

View attachment 427482

AMERICAN born, AMERICAN built!!!!
AWESOME with all the power - Do you drag race it with the Vet engine in it? How did you fit a big Vet Engine in it? wasn't that one built with a Four Cylinder in it?
I love rebuilding vehicles with more power. That was over 40 years ago when engines were ENGINES with no environmental junk on it. 4 Barrel or three duce Carb, Headers.
Really nice to do it to a CJ5. Also got to have those winches as long as you have tracts on the undercarriage and a Bipod for over the top.
GREAT vehicles for hunting or off road. Small enough to fit into tight spaces.
I had a M-1-51 Jeep assigned to me in the Marines I had the Fording gear. Would drive through streams ponds by pulling the throttle and another switch that pushed exhaust through the engine and drive train to prevent water from entering engine through any leaks. would sit on the top of the driver seat and steer with my feet.
Thank God the Marines and ARMY, and other Service People that followed us had the Humvee and got home made armor plating.
I got pictures from SE Asia , just have to find them. This thread brings back memories!
Semper Fi!

Last edited:
AWESOME with all the power - Do you drag race it with the Vet engine in it? How did you fit a big Vet Engine in it? wasn't that one built with a Four Cylinder in it?
I love rebuilding vehicles with more power. That was over 40 years ago when engines were ENGINES with no environmental junk on it. 4 Barrel or three duce Carb, Headers.
Really nice to do it to a CJ5. Also got to have those winches as long as you have tracts on the undercarriage and a Bipod for over the top.
GREAT vehicles for hunting or off road. Small enough to fit into tight spaces.
I had a M-1-51 Jeep assigned to me in the Marines I had the Fording gear. Would drive through streams ponds by pulling the throttle and another switch that pushed exhaust through the engine and drive train to prevent water from entering engine through any leaks. would sit on the top of the driver seat and steer with my feet.
Thank God the Marines and ARMY, and other Service People that followed us had the Humvee and got home made armor plating.
I got pictures from SE Asia , just have to find them. This thread brings back memories!
Semper Fi

Those were the days! The motor I put in this one is a 4.3 liter V-6 it's a little six cylinder they used in the half ton pick-ups and mini vans, It makes an AWESOME Jeep engine cause it's small and fuel injected, no more flooded float bowls during extreme articulation....

Thing about the new computer controlled injection and traction control engines are so efficient that the old motors cant compare. Heck my little half ton Ford with the 5.0 Coyote is making almost 400 HP---- STOCK. the old 60's Boss 302 was only making 290... Look at the hell cats and the new Hemi's!!! Always been a Mopar fan, had a wicked 66 Plymouth Satellite that I slammed a 63 426 max wedge into and it tan high 11's in the quarter mile, high school car was a 67 Plymouth GTX

Heck, I thought building hotrods was an American teenager's right of passage!!!

The strapping young 6-06 fellow said that the thing that surprised him the most was how we all "aired down" before venturing down to get his rig. He didn't know that was of any benefit. I went to 10 psi on my Jeep's 285/75/16 BFG tires. Got terrific traction that way! He hadn't ever thought about that, but decided it was a good thing to know about.

I'm really impressed with their priorities. Ya, they shouldn't have gone down in there, alone, in a stock vehicle. But... They put family first, got 'em all out, then got the vehicle out with some help. Not bad.

All this 4x4 stuff is learned over time, and in my case, after failing several times over the years. Glad to pass it on to others when I can.

Guy
We've all been there got stuck or worse broke on the trail. That's how us wheelers learn.... We should show em the flat tire an starting fluid trick for when you bust a bead cause ya aired down too much :cool:

These folks learned so much. I am really impressed with them. They were looking at property, and got in over their heads. Stock vehicle. Highway tires. No chains.

Not stupid. Good people, who just didn't know. They walked out (very fit people) and got the kids out on Sunday.

Hiked back in on Monday with the first set of tire chains they'd ever owned!

But, their solo effort didn't work, so Monday night they reached out for help. And we went to help. Today, they listened, watched, helped and learned. These folks had never seen a winch in use, didn't know the difference between a recovery strap and a tow strap, hadn't ever used tire chains, had never heard of traction boards... Didn't know a differential could have something called a "locker" and all that stuff... They learned So Much in this little adventure. And my goodness, always smiling and ready to help us, help them. Good people.

I'm glad we could help, and glad I met a terrific local young couple.

Guy
That's what makes it all worth while, SAFELY achieving a positive outcome...
Many people mistakenly think because they have 4wd that they won't get stuck. Very very nice of you and the others helping those folks out, I'm sure those folks will remember your kindness for a very long time.
hahaha a 4x4 will only get you stuck worse!!!

I didn't see it mentioned but doesn't everyone know to tie a shirt, towel or rag to the strap or chain when pulling on anything?? I am sure some of theses pros will know what it is actually called but definitely worth doing!