Snowy Vehicle Recovery

I didn't see it mentioned but doesn't everyone know to tie a shirt, towel or rag to the strap or chain when pulling on anything?? I am sure some of theses pros will know what it is actually called but definitely worth doing!
I've always used a heavy jacket. These days you can get soft shackles and recovery ropes to reduce the danger. I pulled a guy out of some sand dunes this past fall. He buried himself almost to the frame rails. All I had was a 10k ratchet strap. I gave him the options of driving him back to town or risk his life yarding him out. I got him out with minimal effort. Recovery can be pretty dangerous work. I've had a friend lose a family member due to breaking straps.

Those were the days! The motor I put in this one is a 4.3 liter V-6 it's a little six cylinder they used in the half ton pick-ups and mini vans, It makes an AWESOME Jeep engine cause it's small and fuel injected, no more flooded float bowls during extreme articulation....

Thing about the new computer controlled injection and traction control engines are so efficient that the old motors cant compare. Heck my little half ton Ford with the 5.0 Coyote is making almost 400 HP---- STOCK. the old 60's Boss 302 was only making 290... Look at the hell cats and the new Hemi's!!! Always been a Mopar fan, had a wicked 66 Plymouth Satellite that I slammed a 63 426 max wedge into and it tan high 11's in the quarter mile, high school car was a 67 Plymouth GTX

Heck, I thought building hotrods was an American teenager's right of passage!!!
I hear ya. Grew up in the 60s and early 70s. Carol's Parking (hamburger joint before McDs and chain restaurants) lot was where everyone showed off their rods. I started the "Truck" trend taking my girl to the Prom in a truck wasn't cool untill I did it. Had a 69' Ford Ranger 360 v8 and would burn the rear tires right off in one burnout.. My dad wasn't too happy with me. Six clutches/pressure plates, 24 tires and countless valve lifters in the summer of my Junior year High School.
Of course i paid for all the parts and did the work myself.
Mopar was king in the early 70s.

I've always used a heavy jacket. These days you can get soft shackles and recovery ropes to reduce the danger. I pulled a guy out of some sand dunes this past fall. He buried himself almost to the frame rails. All I had was a 10k ratchet strap. I gave him the options of driving him back to town or risk his life yarding him out. I got him out with minimal effort. Recovery can be pretty dangerous work. I've had a friend lose a family member due to breaking straps.
True that!!!! We always carry a big heavy beach towel but just about anything laid on top of a winch cable or chain is life saving insurance!!!

I didn't see it mentioned but doesn't everyone know to tie a shirt, towel or rag to the strap or chain when pulling on anything?? I am sure some of theses pros will know what it is actually called but definitely worth doing!
A few points on that subject-
That is a very good practice when using cable for winching. A rag isn't enough, but a jacket or big towel is fine. Whatever is used has to be heavy enough to absorb alot of kinteic energy

That isn't needed if you're using a strap with a proper shackle hooked to something that isn't going to break, as straps don't have enough mass to be deadly in recoil if ut breaks.

Chains should not be used in recovery in dynamic situations period. They are not meant for shock loading and you can intantly exceed its breaking strength.

If a chain us used it should be a straight pull, no yanking and will be fine if is rated for twice the amount of the weight it will see. How many chains truly get used proplerly? How many people can calculate what kind of load a stuck vehicle will take to get out?

The thing about chains- you never know where it will break- a jacket wrapped around the middle will still allow the broken chain, if it breaks near one end, to move almost half it's distance before meeting any resistance and absorbing any velocity at all- by that time it is almost to your head. There needs to be 2 or even better 3 jackets or blankets wrapped around the chain to be effective at stopping that missile.

The last point about chains, and why I'll never agsin use one for recovery- it is super easy to exceed its strength because of its lack of stretch. Take a 7000 lb revovery vehicle and a 7000 lb stuck vehicle for example. Your chain will see 14,000 lbs of force with the slightest bump when it hits the end of the slack, because of the lack of stretch. I didnt know this until I almost had what was a very strong, quality chain go through my head. I dont beleive a towel in the middle of thst chain would have stopped it.

Many people mistakenly think because they have 4wd that they won't get stuck. Very very nice of you and the others helping those folks out, I'm sure those folks will remember your kindness for a very long

I have a friend who thought that. He walked out a few miles and called my son-in-law for a ride. He figured he would get his rig out in the spring.

My s-i-l is in a 4X4 club. He made some calls so they got together for a holiday. They drove up the side hills and in the ditches. By the end of the day the stuck truck was like the Nissan.

My friend was amazed.

I hear ya. Grew up in the 60s and early 70s. Carol's Parking (hamburger joint before McDs and chain restaurants) lot was where everyone showed off their rods. I started the "Truck" trend taking my girl to the Prom in a truck wasn't cool untill I did it. Had a 69' Ford Ranger 360 v8 and would burn the rear tires right off in one burnout.. My dad wasn't too happy with me. Six clutches/pressure plates, 24 tires and countless valve lifters in the summer of my Junior year High School.
Of course i paid for all the parts and did the work myself.
Mopar was king in the early 70s.
My first pick-up I drove to school was a 1969 Ford F250 camper special. It was two tone turquoise and white, it had the 360 and glass packs that old truck sounded mean as hell... We traveled across the width of the country in that pick-up when I was a kid twice!!!

My girl who rode in that truck is still with me, 44 years later!!! We never took it to the prom, My dad traded that one in for a new 1978 F250 with the 460, now talk about some torque!!!, Whist were on the subject of torque, here is the high school hotrod!!!

1967 Plymouth GTX, first year for the (then new) 440 GOLDEN COMMANDO hahaha that's how Plymouth marketed that motor, it was PURE BLISS!!!! We didn't get beat much in that car, we put Holly 850 double pumper, water injection and headers... It would smoke tires to the rim!!!!

Wish that one and a couple others were still with me, these old muscle cars are almost worth their weight in gold :cool:

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG