Buying a new Vehicle

Len - sorry to hear of your troubles, but glad to hear Jill is doing okay. It is unbelievable to see the prices of new and used vehicles. I am now a drive them to they drop type of person. My daughters totaled three of our vehicles over the years. A Chevy suburban, Mercedes SUV, and Chevy truck. We did end up buying the truck back a salvage value and fixed it for less than the settlement. I ended up selling it a couple of years ago to my mechanic. He fixed it up and just sold it for $15K. It was a 1995 with 200+k miles.
Just one piece of advice…. Don't buy a German vehicle. The maintenance costs are absolutely ridiculous. I spent $5k on the Mercedes replacing air ride struts a week before my daughter totaled it.

Boy you got the stinky end of the stick on this deal.So sorry for you and Jill.
A very good friend bought a hyundai SUV used and drove from Florida to Montana in it and back and then to Tennessee and it now has well over 200 thousand miles and still running great.They have had it for about 5 years and no major problems.
Just a thought.I hope you find something you both like.

I dont know if they still make the Frontier, but if not I know up until just a couple years ago they did.
I'd look for either new or a low mileage used one. They are as solid and dependable as they come.
Len, you mentioned you have a 2005 frontier and had a pathfinder ☹️. I have a frontier pro 4, 4wd 4 door and has been very dependable. Nissan build's solid vehicles for a affordable price.
Hopefully you'll find something that is somewhat affordable and will last.

We purchased a 2022 chevrolet 4x4 silverado 1500. Nothing fancy but has enough features to satisfy us. Don't really know if we got a good buy or not. But at least they didn't jack the price of the pickup up and felt they were reasonably fair on our trade in. Noticed last week that this particular dealership has approximately 50 new pickups in stock. And they aren't a big dealership. So it appears that there are starting to be more vehicles available. We put a canopy on it and honestly like it better than any of the suv we have ever owned.
Glad that Jill is not seriously hurt. Good luck on your search and best wishes

Last edited:
4Runner has my vote too. It will likely outlast you two!😉
My wife just bought a new 2023 for $46K and it is pretty loaded. She has been shopping for the right deal though.
Whatever you find, don't hesitate or you can put a little down to hold it for a few days if you need to think on it. They will sell within a day or two of hitting the dealer lot.

Oh, am glad Jill is okay. People would be shocked to know how many illegals are running around without licenses or insurance. We ran a LOT of them when I did EMS. Many were under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and some caused multiple vehicle pile ups.

Also a lot of "non-illegals" running uninsured and unlicensed/revoked, which also makes them "illegal"!

Last edited:
I have gotten great service from Fords in the past and the last 2 Fords had over 300,000 miles when I sold them but now with Ford using turbo chargers on almost everything I just would not buy a Ford and I was a mechanic for 30 + years.12 of those years I worked on Turbines in the oil field but when I got back in the shop I maintained all our company vehicles.
The last suv we owned that was turbo charged it started using oil at 35,000 miles and the dealership wouldn't do anything about it.They said they all go through oil.I sold that suv and will not own another turbo charged automobile ever again.
Just my experience.
This is a dumb statement and a one off.
First they don't all use oil. Second I've had far better luck with my turbo charged vehicles than my old v8's
I drive 80k a year and haul a lot. I currently have several turbo charged trucks with well over 300k on them with far less service than my old v8's.
I wish people would stop making choices or telling others based on one data point.
Every manufacturer has crap stuff slide through.
In fact I have good friends now that have had nothing but issues with the new Toyota they just bought and the new Chevy v8 they bought. But I've seen the same cars run for many many miles with zero issues.

Len glad everything is ok.
So just do Calling on dealers. I've had fine luck even last year never paying more than msrp for even specialty vehicles.
Last year I purchased several new ones.
The one I'm most impressed with right now was the ford maverick. If u can find one. Small truck with the upgraded. 2.0 ecoboost awd. Not enough miles to say how it will hold up but it has the same drivetrain as my wife's edge 2.0 and that things has only needed oil change and brakes at 160k.
I can't make a choice for you but here are what I've had good luck with
F-150 3.5 ecoboost 3 of them over 300k zero issues.
2.0 awd edge 160k no issues.
The trucks are very impressive as they are work trucks and get treated as such.
Was very unsure of them at first but they have really turned out be be great.

This is a dumb statement and a one off.
First they don't all use oil. Second I've had far better luck with my turbo charged vehicles than my old v8's
I drive 80k a year and haul a lot. I currently have several turbo charged trucks with well over 300k on them with far less service than my old v8's.
I wish people would stop making choices or telling others based on one data point.
Every manufacturer has crap stuff slide through.
In fact I have good friends now that have had nothing but issues with the new Toyota they just bought and the new Chevy v8 they bought. But I've seen the same cars run for many many miles with zero issues.
So you don't think damaged piston rings or valve seals can allow oil into the combustion chamber where it's burned off?

X2 I've done it before , my dads truck was so called totaled , got the insurance company too pay too fix it.
As the original post states, Len just had major surgery and needs a vehicle for his wife quickly.
He also stated that shops in the area are already overbooked.

I agree that at times, buying back and fixing it is a good option but this is not one of those times.

Good luck to you, Len and Jill, and get better soon!

So you don't think damaged piston rings or valve seals can allow oil into the combustion chamber where it's burned off?
No they can indeed. It was more the fact you eluded to the fact that it's because of turbo charged engine. You have a one off case based on one you had.
Your may indeed have those issues but that's not the normal.