Bushing

I use a lot of Redding Type S bushing FL dies and, FWIW, I always dropped my bushings in with the numbers facing upward so that I could easily read them. Because of the controversy over which way was correct and why; I called them directly.

The Redding ballistician/tech said that the numbers should always face down because the numbers are often slightly raised on the surface of the bushing. When the brass is pushed up into the bushing, the bushing rises and comes to rest on its flat side (w/o raised numbers) as the sizing takes place. It doesn't matter whether or not the bushing sits slightly crooked when the bushing is sitting idly on the bottom when it is not being used.

Now I put all my bushings in face down as they recommend and just put a note in the die box indicating which bushing is installed.

BTW - The guy said, overall, this is a very minor issue. He also said there is a slight improvement in consistency if I elect to use lube on the case neck even though I only use titanium nitride bushings.

Last edited:
It makes sense then to place a bushing stamping down against a mirror surface and see if there is any rocking potential.
If not, then it should be okay to use it facing up.

It makes sense then to place a bushing stamping down against a mirror surface and see if there is any rocking potential.
If not, then it should be okay to use it facing up.
heres My advice, works for many things in life. First read directions included with the product. second, don't follow internet advice. It's pretty clear more people don't have a clue than those who do. Lmao

OK
okie man
Please post what you have for information on Bushings that you have to dispute what I posted.
Just don't post "I'm gonna say that's not true"

I have called Wilson, Redding, Hornady, RCBS. Their "Bushings" are the same (and compatible interchangeable - FOSTERs may be different) on either end even though they have lettering on one end or an up side the are the same. They do this because they don't stamp on both ends. Also the reloader that wants to do everything the same way every time. You can do it with the letter up or down. We have at least 5-6 (60-70 total) of "Neck Bushings" for each cartridge we neck size and they all are the same either way. If you have "Bushings" take your Micrometer and measure. You will also see a "Bevel" on each end.
I would say go to your reloading station right now, pull out your "Neck Bushings" and look at them with a good light to see the "Bevel" on both ends and then take your micrometer and measure.
When I read this, "then take your", I expected something a little different than "micrometer and measure", hahaha. Sorry, the thought just popped up when I read it.

Most of the time on Redding bushings the stamping will have slightly raised burrs. As some have stated, you want the flat polished end up/stamping down...or polish the burrs flat. Just depends on the game one wants to play.

I use a lot of Redding Type S bushing FL dies and, FWIW, I always dropped my bushings in with the numbers facing upward so that I could easily read them. Because of the controversy over which way was correct and why; I called them directly.

The Redding ballistician/tech said that the numbers should always face down because the numbers are often slightly raised on the surface of the bushing. When the brass is pushed up into the bushing, the bushing rises and comes to rest on its flat side (w/o raised numbers) as the sizing takes place. It doesn't matter whether or not the bushing sits slightly crooked when the bushing is sitting idly on the bottom when it is not being used.

Now I put all my bushings in face down as they recommend and just put a note in the die box indicating which bushing is installed.

BTW - The guy said, overall, this is a very minor issue. He also said there is a slight improvement in consistency if I elect to use lube on the case neck even though I only use titanium nitride bushings.
Thanks Varmint Hunter. You sought out a knowledgeable source at Redding, then clearly summarized his response. I have learned something new! Your clarity in writing is appreciated.

i have used Redding bushings almost exclusively, and have always placed the lettering "down" with enough free-play to produce a faint clicking sound. I very much prefer the steel bushings to the surface treated, and always apply a light lube to the neck before sizing.