Bushing Dies

Dnk9444

I thinking of purchasing a bushing sizing die for my 7prc. I've looked at forester, whidden, Redding. I do not turn necks. Is this something that has to be done with bushings to produce decent results?

I thinking of purchasing a bushing sizing die for my 7prc. I've looked at forester, whidden, Redding. I do not turn necks. Is this something that has to be done with bushings to produce decent results?
No, at least not that I have heard of or experienced. That would be more a function of a small neck chamber or very thick necked brass, which may happen if you neck down brass from a larger caliber. I have used Redding type S and never had a problem.

There are errors in that video.
Like where he wanted 1thou interference from a .294 neck, he suggests a .293 bushing.
It isn't that simple, and may or may not work.

What he's missing is consideration of neck spring back, and overall amount of sizing needed.
Normal brass springs back ~1/2thou at necks.
If you have high neck clearance and need to size 5thou or more, the bushing diameter needs be 1-2thou larger than desired -while accounting for spring back either way. This is because a larger bushing downsizing rolls brass inward at a continuation angle, past desired.
Then, it is beneficial to expand necks, so you really need an extra 1thou downsizing of necks, to then upsize with expansion.
And don't pick a bushing until you can 1st measure necks at the cal you intend for them (if up/down sizing neck cals).

I've never run into an 'issue' with bushing neck sizing. Just be sure to set it floating in the die body, and always follow up with expansion (with a mandrel for lowest loaded runout).

Last edited:
Don't get the neck only model or you'll have to invest in a bump die too. I've got FL bushing dies in several calibers and several brands (Hornady, Redding (type s), and Forster. They all make match grade ammo as long as I use match grade brass. OBTW you the Short Action Customs makes the best bushings that Ive ever used… Improved runout and they never shave brass. I'm using them exclusively in all calibers I reload now.

I'm using a Whidden click adjustable neck bushing full length sizer and although there was a learning curve on how to use it, I can say it was well worth it. I suppose on some rifles I use or load for others, namely my older children whom don't see the price tag associated with loading high quality ammunition and the investment, standard dies work good enough for their purposes. But other rifles, I demand more and want the best for them, good dies are a must, they help take out the,"could it be this that's causing inaccuracies"

Concerning bushing brands, there are several.

Redding bushings you get the size stamped on the bushing.

Wilson bushings are tapered. With the bushing facing up, you size to that number, if you flip the bushing over where the number is down, you get .0005 tighter.

Good to put a little lube on your necks to keep your bushings from galling or wearing.

For bump dies, Standard Forster Neck sizers will bump shoulders, been doing it for years. Forster will hone out your neck dia for $12, but you have to buy the die from them. These types of dies produce the least amount of runout over any bushing neck or FL sizer I have used. A 1000-yard bullet tester for Berger gave me the tip on the Honed Forster dies.