Bushing the bolt head firing pin hole

dsculley

I have a Savage long action with a Criterion 6.5x47L barrel. I am getting cratering of the primer. No primer piercing, just cratering. Is there an advantage to bushing the firing pin hole on the bolt head since there is no primer piercing?

are the primers flattening or just cratering? factory bolt heads have a sloppy firing pin hole and that is normal. you could replace with a ptg bolt head. I have had good luck with them

While it is not always the case (few things are) cratered primers are veryt often the result of a loose fitting firing pin/firing pin hole fit. If you're certain that all else is in good order, I'd suggest having that bolt head worked on. There are lots of very good gunsmiths that will do that work for you at a very reasonable price. You might also be surprised in what it can do for increased accuracy.

Call Gre Tan rifles. They are in Rifle, CO. He does an excellent job of bushing the bolt and turning the firing pin. He charges $85 per bolt. Matter of fact I just sent them a bolt for the 'bushing' job. This will be my 2nd bolt I've sent him. My 6-284 was doing the same thing. Sent him the bolt and it's fixed. The bolt I sent him yesterday was cratering primers with loads way below max. This time of the year takes him 2-3 weeks to get to it. Don't wait until winter to send it in...Could take 2-3 months if you do.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts