Burris veracity or ???

pawhitetail

Well I think I've pretty much settled on the burris veracity 4-20x50 for a 300 mag hunting rig. It's right at my price range. From what I could find it has decent light transmission, good glass, a nice reticle in ftp and the magnification range is pretty ideal for me. So my question to you guys is if there is any other scope I should be looking at that very closely competes with this scope or do you feel I'm making a good choice with this scope for the money? I'm pretty settled on this I just want to cover all bases before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys

While I have no personal experience with it, the Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 seems pretty well matched up with the Veracity. I would also always advise to compare with Vortex scopes and Bushnell's Elites.

I have the http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...riflescope-w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/ on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ and I'm very pleased with it.

Burris Veracity 4-20x50 - An Amateur's Opinion

It will give the Vortex and comparable scope a run for your money ... and then some.

From an optics SME ...

Originally Posted by bruce_ventura
Burris has taken that to the extreme with the E1 optical designs. AFAIK, XTR II and Veracity models of the same magnification use the same optics as well. I spent more time looking at the Veracity models because I like the multi-purpose reticle designs. The Veracity scopes were typical of Burris optical quality: good resolution, high contrast, and no tunneling in the erector over 5:1 zoom ratio. I also recall seeing no obscuration at low magnification when the elevation was rotated to the limit.

Good luck!

I've been looking at vortex really hard but their mag range in the entire viper line to me just wasn't optimized for my application. This is a full hunting rig so shots could be from 10 to 1000 yds so the 4x on the low end is really nice and the 20x on the top end should serve really well to 1200yds or so. That's why vortex and some others got voted out of my list leupold got voted out on price as the vx6 would be nice and compares with this scope but is double the cost almost. I was looking at the bushnell elite 6500 in 4.5-30 but it got voted out on reticle choice as I wanted moa turret and reticle. I can live with sfp over ffp but it had to be a hashed reticle. I didn't want a mildot or the other 2 as I plan to dial for elevation and hold for wind age and the burris reticle IMO is nicer for this purpose over the bushnell. I will have to look at the weaver as I haven't seen it. I have given this a lot of thought and after typing this and realizing just how many scopes i have looked at makes it that much easier to want to get the burris. Thanks guys

I have the Verosity and the Grand slam also, both are nice scopes, good optics, I would give the edge to the Verosity in optics, and definitely in retical design over the grand slam. The one thing I don't like about the Verisity is the weight, as a hunting scope it is on the heavy side.

I have the Verosity and the Grand slam also, both are nice scopes, good optics, I would give the edge to the Verosity in optics, and definitely in retical design over the grand slam. The one thing I don't like about the Verisity is the weight, as a hunting scope it is on the heavy side.

The Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP is 27.2 ounces and the Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 is 24 ounces. I guess it boils down to personal preference for the intended purpose between the two scopes in question.

My .270 AI with 30" Lilja barrel #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) + JP Beenie Cooley MB has a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP on it with Horus Vision HSLI and weight is not an issue for me as I carry a 30-35 lbs pack with me atop my hunting grounds. :D

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

Rifle as seen hunt ready is ~12 lbs.

Intended purpose is pretty much same as yours feenix. Elk mule deer whitetail and black bear. Think I'll order the veracity this week thanks guys

Intended purpose is pretty much same as yours feenix. Elk mule deer whitetail and black bear. Think I'll order the veracity this week thanks guys

You won't be disappointed! You have enough internal adjustment for the 1K+ yard shot but highly recommend a 20 MOA base per an optics SME's advice ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Yea I am getting a 20moa rail just not sure which one yet. Same with the rings. Thanks for your input guys

You also have the forever warranty with Burris and Vortex, Weaver also has a lifetime warranty but the one time I had to deal with them they were a real pain in the behind. Had a brand new scope that I had to send back for distortion issues, they said they could not fix the scope and would replace with a referb, that wasn't going to happen, so after fighting with them for half an hour, and talking to 3 different people they refunded my money. The reason they didn't send a new scope was the scope was a super slam and they are no longer in production. I tried to get them to replace the super slam with a Bushnell elite but they wouldn't do it. Bushnell and Weaver are owned by the same company.

The Super Slams are pretty decent scopes but the have very limited elevation, around 50 MOA total on the 4-20x, and their website is really scarce on information.

Yea I am getting a 20moa rail just not sure which one yet. Same with the rings. Thanks for your input guys

I've been very pleased with the EGW HD base and Burris Signature Rings (with inserts).

[ame]https://youtu.be/wcRAX5OLtJE?t=2[/ame]

I have not tried it yet but the Burris XTR Signature Rings will be my next purchase for my build.

Good luck!

I own two Veracity 4 x 20 x 50 and one 5 x 25 x 50 and am very pleased. So far from my experience they are the best bang for the buck. For me I wanted FFP and 4 power on the low end for hunting in close cover. The 5 x 25 is on a 338 RUM and I can live with 5 power on the low end.
They have good clear glass and the turrets are repeatable. Also MOA turrets and MOA reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts