Burris Veracity 4-20 thoughts

Sdupontjr

I have been searching and reading threads on the Burris Veracity 3-15 and 4-20 for a while now. I only have a few post to my name, but have been a long time lurker. I initially was going to pull the trigger on the 4-20, but didn't. I had a nikon 4-12x50AO Pre monarch and it was nice. Had it for years on my 7mag abolt 2 Boss, but gave it to my son. Now I just recently purchased a Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x56 Klassik, shot about 5 rounds on it and realize I want/need more zoom. So i took it off and its back in the original packaging. Low light is ridiculous, but the extra zoom would be nice. Thus I'll be putting it up for sale here after I find what I want.

How does the 4-20x50 do in early and last light hunting? I'm sure its not in the ballpark of the SB, but if it will go pass legal shooting times (Louisiana has that), then its an option. I'm also looking at the VX5-HD 3-15x56 and VX6-HD 3-18x50. But my initial thoughts on the Veracity were very promising. Also, most of the threads that I have read were from several years ago. Any updated information that you guys may have let know, thanks.

Don't own a Veracity but, DO own, 7 Burris scopes from, 2-7X's thru, 5.5-20X for Varmint/Target,..LOVE them and their "service" tho only, sent one scope in !
Burris scopes are clear, BRIGHT and the Turrets have, nice "click" adj's and are,.. "repeatable" !
Sold all, but one Leupold, a 6X on a .22 Mag.

- lens diameter divided by magnification = the exit pupil size of the scope.
- The bigger the scopes exit pupil the brighter the scope will be.
- Scope exit pupils that are smaller than the eye's exit pupil are not providing all of the light that the eye can use and will appear dim.
- Scope exit pupils larger than the max size of a dilated human eye will give more generous eye relief and offer a clearer picture with less eye strain.
- The human eye's pupil can dilate to a max of 7~8mm.

Veracity 4-20x50 - exit pupil = 12.5
VX5-HD 3-15x56 - exit pupil = 18.6
X6-HD 3-18x50 - exit pupil = 16.6

So, it seems all of the scopes would be more than adequate in low light. But the VX5-HD 3-15x56 would be the brightest with best eye relief.

The SB is in another ballpark:
Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x56 - exit pupil = 22.4

Yeah I knew that SB would be thus me buying it. I had that Nikon since 1990 and haven't purchased another optic since the SB. So thats really all i had to compare to. Knowing what I know now, the SB is nice, but given our legal shooting times, its way overkill and I don't night hunt hogs or anything else. Thus me looking at other options and sell/trade this basically new SB

I have one on my 264 wm, doubt it will ever leave that rifle. Glass is plenty good enough for legal light here, 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. I like the foolproof zero stop, and it tracks absolutely predictable.

If i remember correctly, there are 2 different models of the 4-20. One model has the MAD system which only allows 1 revolution of the turret. The other version has taller capped turrets and allows for additional rotation. Or did I read that wrong.

I have one, bought it this year. Very much like a Vortex PST without the lighted reticle. I think the eyebox is not quite an critical as the PST and the glass is as good. I think I like it just as well or better than a PST and it is cheaper. Neither excel in low light IMO. Comparing these to a SB is like comparing night and day. You will be able to shoot later and see the target better in low light with the SB you already have. Both the Vortexes and the Burris I have are pretty much worthless in the upper half of their power range in low light anyway.

- lens diameter divided by magnification = the exit pupil size of the scope.
- The bigger the scopes exit pupil the brighter the scope will be.
- Scope exit pupils that are smaller than the eye's exit pupil are not providing all of the light that the eye can use and will appear dim.
- Scope exit pupils larger than the max size of a dilated human eye will give more generous eye relief and offer a clearer picture with less eye strain.
- The human eye's pupil can dilate to a max of 7~8mm.

Veracity 4-20x50 - exit pupil = 12.5
VX5-HD 3-15x56 - exit pupil = 18.6
X6-HD 3-18x50 - exit pupil = 16.6

So, it seems all of the scopes would be more than adequate in low light. But the VX5-HD 3-15x56 would be the brightest with best eye relief.

The SB is in another ballpark:
Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x56 - exit pupil = 22.4

Those numbers only work on the lowest power setting...once you go up in magnification the numbers will become closer...

The only reason I'm looking at possible other optics is we have been making yearly hunts to texas where shots can get out pass 500 yards. At my property in Louisiana, shots are 150 yards and closer. I'm an "aim small miss small" guy and like the magnification. Its not an issue at my place, but the Texas trips are different.

I have even looked at the trijicon Accupower 4-16x50 and heard great things. It just I won't be able to live at home spending **** near $1400 on optics without the you know who knowing. ha

Closer than you would probably think. Sure the SB would have better all round light transmission because of coatings and such, but exit pupil size plays a much bigger role that coatings.

I disagree with this. Exit pupil will never make up for inferior glass. When given a choice always go for the best glass first then objective size second.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.