BURRIS DISAPPOINTMENTS

[ QUOTE ]
Nikon's not a popular name in riflescopes?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Not as popular as others that you can sell on eBay due to their lifetime or forever warranties -- even though I have heard lately that Leupold has been looking for reasons not to honor the warranty, such as refusing to repair any scope that had a reticle installed by others like Premier Reticles, even if the fault with the scope is wholly unrelated to the reticle work. – they just use the fact to refuse warranty work – in the past they would never do such a thing.

It's a way to get more of your money.</font>

Quick thanks for the validation of my problem with a Burris Black Diamond 8x32x50MM it was blury big time I hated it. I exchanged it for Leupold 8.5x25x50 Leupold. Wasn't super happy with that either. So I'll go with upper end scopes. Zeiss 6.5x20x50 is the most I can afford.IOR looks awesome but $1200 bucks is a bit much.

<font color="blue">I am convinced beyond all doubt that the ocular (eyepiece) lens in my scope is either just a bad piece of glass or is installed cockeyed - you just can not get the cross hair to focus perfectly and it irritates the snot outta me.

Like so many things today, with just a little more effort on Burris' part it would be a great scope – but who in the heck wants 1" elevation adjustments? (just because some fool that probably doesn't even shoot read a Marine sniper scope spec somewhere – Leupold Mark IV M3 has 1" clicks).

It amazes me that the guys that make these decisions claim to have college degrees...

I wish I knew of someone that knows how to disassemble and reassemble this scope as I would have 1/8" turrets custom made -- it can't be very hard to turn a different thread pitch on a part or locate more detents -- assuming they fix the crosshair focus issue.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> – but who in the heck wants 1" elevation adjustments? (just because some fool that probably doesn't even shoot read a Marine sniper scope spec somewhere – Leupold Mark IV M3 has 1" clicks).</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a Burris fan, so I have no dog in this... but I do have three MK4-M3 scopes that I bought, with full knowledge of the 1 moa click elevation dial. To me that was an advantage.

Two of the scopes are "Practical field match" rifles, and one is on a LR varmint rifle that is for large feral canines that don't allow time to play with counting out bunches of 1/4 or 1/8th clicks.

I have found that the space between the clicks allow the user to "split" the clicks into halves or thirds (I haven't mastered quarters yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Are the spaces between the clicks on the Burris far enough apart that you can split them into smaller divisions??

<font color="blue">I never even thought to try that, Cat... it's something to contemplate.

I've read many of your posts – in fact your post on how to focus a reticle and then adjust parallax was an education unto itself. You give a lot of excellent info to everyone.

Thanks
</font>

Here's the long &amp; short of Leupold's customer service:

My half-witted buddy dropped his bolt rifle from the top of his metal ladder stand. Half way down, the rear end of the Leupold scope slammed into one of the metal rungs. The ocular lens was smashed to bits and you could see right into the main tube. Rear bell was damaged too.

I sent the scope back for the guy and included a letter telling Leupold exactly what happened and offered to pay for the (extensive) repairs. Two weeks later the scope was returned and looked as good as new. On the invoice was noted "NO CHARGE".

Now that's service!

I also have never had a problem with Leupold customer service, and have never read about anyone who has. leupold will repair Premier altered scopes up to a certain date. Leupold service is second to none in my experience.

RidgeRooster

Karl,
i am surprised you havn't mentioned something about the eye relief or lack of. just adding fuel to the fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue">Hey Mike,

Good point! My eye still hurts from the last time the scope smacked me in the face, and on a 13-lb rifle no less!</font>

just out of curiosity quick karl, do you wear glasses for shooting? if so maybe the grind on the burris glass isn't right for you. i think you would be wise to try an aspherical ground lens. maybe a simmons atec.

<font color="blue">In all honesty, I would never buy a Simmons scope – I know they have their niche, but a Simmons is not what I would be looking for.

I do not wear glasses when shooting with a scope, and my Nikon scope focuses beautiful - I know nothing about lens grinding specifications.

For a long time I have heard a few people talk of Burris' quality, so I chose to 'try' this Burris scope to answer the questions for my self – I do not like hearsay because it is most always 'relative'. A shooter that thinks a 3" group at a hundred yards is fine for the deer or elk he is after might be completely happy with a Simmons scope, and never even realize that he has a 1" rifle that shoots 3" groups because of the cheap scope he has on it. I built my rifle for 1000-yard potential, and I tried the Burris XTR to satisfy my curiosity -- I would not buy another XTR based on my experience with this scope.

As you might know from other posts, I had some bad luck with a Leupold scope, and am finding it hard to 'have faith' in a new Leupold because of that experience. If you want to shoot well and you have a 'lingering' doubt about one component of your equipment, no amount of "free repairs" will put that doubt to rest.

As much as I want a quality scope I am not prepared to spend $1,500-$2,000+ for a scope – I am not a competitive Bench Rest shooter, or a millionaire.

I may have to give-in a try a Leupold again, but I will be the 'customer-from-hell' if their scope starts shooting 2-groups like my last one did, and my best friend's Leupold did.

To be continued…
</font>

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.