Burbon Tonight !

My group of buddies and I have really gotten into trying the bourbons. We even had a bourbon tasting at my place. We all brought a different bottle (or two) and we tried them. I had a few take-aways from the get-together:
1. We've got to do that more often!
2. Texas does a lot of things right......Bourbon isn't one of them (at least not compared to those from Ky, and TN)
3. More expensive does not always mean better tasting.
4. Most all of the distillers that have been dong it for a long time make better bourbon than the 'Johnny-distill-lately' distillers. Not that all of the newer bourbon is bad, but time practicing and developing good bourbon and then proper time in the barrel definitely matters. I was at my favorite liquor store the other day and saw a few bourbons from California, that had been aged for 4 years, and were over $50/bottle......that just ain't right!

Few favorites:
Belle Meade Double wood.
Bulleitt 10 year
Wellers (even the one with the green label and twist cap)

At the 4 yr mark you can call whiskey a bourbon. If it's aged in a new charged white oak barrel and has at least a 50% corn grain bill. 4 yrs makes a pretty good bourbon. If you let it go longer you really are picking up more woody taste. I'm not real partial to bourbon aged more than about 6 yrs. I'm not big on the woodiness. Scotch is a different story because the barrels are already used and most of the woodiness is gone. I do like 10 and 17 yr old Scotch. Nice thing about bourbon and scotch is there are hundreds of different ones that taste different so everyone can find one they like. I'm lucky I guess the ones I like are not the ones I can't afford. 30 bucks for Rare eagle or 23 bucks for Buffalo Trace and I'm satisfied. I do really like Jack Daniels Sinatra Blend. Over 100 bucks so I sip it slowly. Lots of vanilla and cherry if that's what you like.
Shep

Some one on here said the Prairie something bourbon with the pronghorn on the label was good stuff.

And it might be.........for fueling jet fighters, but not for drinking.

Maybe cleaning paint brushes.

Its a little harsh.

Well I'm enjoying the Four Rose's that's forsure !
20200619_185346.jpg

Rum Man

Interesting that I sit here drinking Knob Creek and see this thread. I can second your desire to try the Knob Creek - it's my go to favorite in the house.

Congrats on the Four Roses. It is also really good (it's very smooth). I keep a bottle of that and the Pappy Van Winkle, 12 yr Lot B, right there next to the Knob Creek. When it comes to Bourbon, It's all Kentucky for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.