Bumped shoulder too far

5 firings on the AI brass and then you bumped it back too far? Or 5 firings in the 30-06 and this is the first time forming as AI?
If it has not been AI yet then the false shoulder and/or jamming may work without any more problems. Maybe a good idea to anneal it before forming the false shoulder also.

Seems like with only 29 pieces and you've already got some value from them then its not a total loss. Personally my expenditures on good lessons from screw ups would be a big boost to my retirement if i could have them back...lol

Edit: i was typing during the previous few posts. Good luck on your decision.

Oh it could work just fine I just think your over thinking this. How many firings on your brass? How far off the lands are you when there separating.
Maybe I missed it but what brass are you using?

I have gone through this on my 22-250AI cases.
To fix it, I pulled the bullets, made a false shoulder and used H4895 with a reduced load and cheap bullets and fireformed.
The cases lasted another 10 loadings.
If you can, you should use a reduced load, you don't want the cases stretching near the web.
A better option is COW a fast pistol powder a TP pushed into the neck, this will only blow out the shoulder and neck if done right.
This method makes the brass last a long time in my experience.

Cheers.

So I bumped the shoulder too far back on my 30-06ai brass. So far that I'm getting case head separation on every round. I'm planning to pull bullets out so they are jammed into the lands and basically re-fireform. Posting this to see if there are any better ideas out there other than necking up and making a false shoulder. Thanks!
Josh, Out of curiosity how can you bump the shoulder that far back, what kind of die can do that, my FL sizer cannot bump that far back?
BB

Anneal, load with inexpensive bullet with crimp groove, seated long about .015 into lands, crimp into the groove in a separate operation, use a relatively mild powder charge. Good to go.

Josh, Out of curiosity how can you bump the shoulder that far back, what kind of die can do that, my FL sizer cannot bump that far back?
BB
Every die- chamber - shell holder combo is different there is NOT a one size fits all when setting up dies if you want. 002- .003. Ive got 2 dies i have to take .010 off the top of the shell holder just to get .0025 bump.
I've got others I guarantee if I set them up like the instructions I probably would get .015.

Sherm, How do you measure the location of the chamber shoulder in relation to the case shoulder, that
headspace is a critical dimension, do you use special tooling to measure?
BB

I use a comparator to measure bump on brass thats fired 3 times. Theres really the only way to measure bump correctly.
If you wanna know know your chamber shoulder measurements you would have to do a chamber cast.
Once you start using a comparator you have to use the same one everytime because they all don't measure from the same place.

So do you agree that the cream of wheat method could work and avoid the case head separation issue? I just don't know what sort of charge of red dot a 3006 case would need.
IMO he'd have the same problem that he has now unless you do it with a false shoulder so the case fits snug in the chamber; otherwise since pressure is exerted in all directions one would get or get close to more case head separation.

If twas me I would have partially pulled and reseated the bullets to jam and Let R Rip. If the loads are mild as he says the little added extra pressure isn't all that big of a deal.

To answer some of the questions. 4 firings as AI brass, first was fireforming. I'm using hornady dies and hadn't messed with the sizing die lock ring since first setting several years ago. In my investigation to figure this out, I discovered the shell holder was touching the bottom of the die at the top of the stroke so I was maxed out on how far it was bumping the shoulder. That's how it got back so far. I have them loaded up now with .010 jam and did a light crimp to make sure they had good tension. It will be about a week before I get a chance to shoot them. I'll post and let you know what happens. Really appreciate all the reply's!

To answer some of the questions. 4 firings as AI brass, first was fireforming. I'm using hornady dies and hadn't messed with the sizing die lock ring since first setting several years ago. In my investigation to figure this out, I discovered the shell holder was touching the bottom of the die at the top of the stroke so I was maxed out on how far it was bumping the shoulder. That's how it got back so far. I have them loaded up now with .010 jam and did a light crimp to make sure they had good tension. It will be about a week before I get a chance to shoot them. I'll post and let you know what happens. Really appreciate all the reply's!
If you've bumping your shoulder back that far several times, I wouldn't waste your time. Brass is toast. I thought you meant just for this last reload they were miss-sized.

For the future, go get you some calipers and the Hornady comparator set. Check case after running the first couple through the die initially during each session, and then occasionally (every 10) after that.

Last edited:
If you've bumping your shoulder back that far several times, I wouldn't waste your time. Brass is toast. I thought you meant just for this last reload they were miss-sized.

Go get you some calipers and the Hornady comparator set. Check case after running the first couple through the die initially during each session, and then occasionally (every 10) after that.
I initially set up to bump to just where bolt would close without resistance. It hasn't been bumped this far every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.