Bullets: No time for expansion...

OP, I don't remember too much on the other thread, but if Berger bullets were involved, it is wise to test each bullet and verify that the tip is not clogged with polishing compound, or whatever it is they put in the tip.
Used to be that about 1/4 to 1/3 of Berger hunting bullets would actually have a clogged tip. You have to put a small pin in the tip to see if it is clogged or not. Report is that clogged Berger tips often don't expand, no matter range, from muzzle to infinity.
This has changed though since they relocated to AZ last year. New lots of Berger bullets from the AZ plant, no longer seem to have that problem. I have shot about 500 bullets from the AZ Berger plant and haven't found a clogged tip yet.
Could this have been your issue?
Using a standard seating stem will smash the hollow point on Bergers plumb shut, and then you have a full metal jacket. Been there and done that with 195gr .284"... Bought a VLD stem and I have awesome killing long range missles

If your worried about not enough expansion of a 308 Winchester or 7mm/08,,, then why not buy factory ammo that does expand...

There are 7 + manufactors that produce 50+++ types of bullets that will expand on thin or thick skin critters of your choosing...

Find the bullet your after and get at it,,, lifes to sort to find the best of the best...

Do your research on the factory ammo bullets that are available and get at it...

If you don't like what is out there, start reloading your own ammo...

I switched to Partions for my 30/06,,, 308,,, and 6.5 since they work...

Cheers from the North

Don A Parsons

That is what I am trying to do, find a bullet that provides better expansion than the Interlock's I've been using. The point is that I contacted "people in the know" supposedly and get conflicting information than 99.9% of what I read. So, if those people (pretty well respected companies mind you) don't know, how am I the consumer suppose to make an informed decision?

You provided only that you like Partitions. I can clearly look at bullet options in factory ammo until I'm blue in the face but I don't make them so how am I to know how one compares to another when even the same bullet but in a different caliber performs different?

Thanks
Steve

So I reached out to the people at Copper Creek about my search for a bullet that will give me better expansion at ranges under 200 yards from my 7mm-08's and 308 Win.

Some may remember my conversation with the tech at Berger stating I needed to slow them down as they do not have a chance to expand.

Well, Alan at Copper Creek stated the same thing. I do not know how a bullet fired from these cartridges (not magnums) at 100 yards do not have time to expand. You guys with magnums must get penciling out to 400 yards! LOL

I'm at a loss....maybe they are onto something....????

Thanks
Steve
I was shooting rock chucks in Wyoming with a .223 FMJ mil ball ammo at about 100 yds I thought it would go through them like shooting a glove. Wrong they left an exit hole about 2in in dia

So I reached out to the people at Copper Creek about my search for a bullet that will give me better expansion at ranges under 200 yards from my 7mm-08's and 308 Win.

Some may remember my conversation with the tech at Berger stating I needed to slow them down as they do not have a chance to expand.

Well, Alan at Copper Creek stated the same thing. I do not know how a bullet fired from these cartridges (not magnums) at 100 yards do not have time to expand. You guys with magnums must get penciling out to 400 yards! LOL

Thanks
Steve
I'm not familiar with Berger bullets because I've used them so......As other shave stated and many will tell you, speed denotes expansion rates. With that being said, with velocities being slower from a 30-30, you need a softer bullet that will expand quicker. With velocities of magnums and the like up over 3,000 to 3,200, at closer ranges, you need a harder bullet like a bonded bullet. Harder/Bonded bullets just poke holes at 30-30 velocities where softer cup and core bullets like a ballistic tip at magnum speeds and close ranges explode before penetrating. The problem is this, you can't change a bullet at mid flight from a 400 yd shot to a 200 yd shot. You have to find a bullet that doesn't explode on contact at close range but will still penetrate and expand at slower velocities when it gets out there past say 400 yds. You have to match the bullet with the speeds you will be shooting along with the distances you will be shooting at. That's why I like Accubond bullets for a good all around bullet for yardages up to 400 yds. I shoot WSM's out to 300-400 yds at most. I need a bullet that won't explode at 100-200 yds at 3200 fps velocities but will still penetrate and expand at 400 yds. In a 7mm-08 I would shoot a softer bullet, something not bonded, because velocities are usually 2800 fps and under which would require a softer bullet for expansion and would be still soft enough to expand at even slower speeds at longer distances. A hard/Bonded bullet would just poke holes at closer distance and would the same even worse at long distances.

Thanks
Steve
Several of us assumed you were talking about Bergers, but instead your letter refers to interloc and corelokt bullets. These are pretty much always viewed as relatively soft bullets. The thing that could keep them from expanding is insufficient velocity. Even well hit deer will run 50 or 60 yards after a lung hit from standard velocity rounds. If you are wanting more expansion increase velocity or hit bone

Hello Gentlemen/Ladies, just my 20 cents worth.
Principal - need more penetration then get BIGGER CANNON - but in a more serious attitude, relatively speaking,
- need more penetration then use harder bullet and / or reduce velocity.
- need more expansion then use softer bullet and / or increase velocity.
Impact velocity is also affected by the distance at which bullet impact takes place so this is / can be a consideration.
IMHO for my 7/08 needing good expansion I use Sierra 120 / 140 Pro Hunter / Game King projectiles at moderate velocity gives best balance of penetration v expansion - then drive faster to get more expansion - a little less speed for more penetration.
I am very satisfied with this calibre / bullet combination on pigs, goats and feral dogs.
Rifle - Tikka T3 Hunter 7/08, Win cases & primers, powder 44.0 gns ADI 2208 (equivalent to Varget)
Happy hunting - pcmoose

Whenever I hear someone say cartridge such and such is going too fast to take animals under XXX yards, I say then the magnum in that caliber must not be good until say 300 yards. Like many things said about firearms by people who shoot little but talk a lot of it is bunk. When a "great white hunter" shoots at a deer at close and the deer is not hanging from the camp pole by the end of the day, has to be some fault of the gear as the GWH would never miss at that range.

I have that the bullet is going too fast to properly expand is used as an excuse, because how could any of us miss animals that are so close. Unfortunately, all of us under the wrong circumstances can miss our targets at any range, and sometimes it is an equipment failure.

This myth is almost as much fun as the old urban legend that the Viet Cong was able to shoot he ammunition from the M-16 in their AKs and SKSs, our the 50 Browning Machine Gun round just has to come close to you to kill you.

Maybe a sticky post could be started of of greatest myths of all times about firearms and ammo.

wade

Don A Parsons

That is what I am trying to do, find a bullet that provides better expansion than the Interlock's I've been using. The point is that I contacted "people in the know" supposedly and get conflicting information than 99.9% of what I read. So, if those people (pretty well respected companies mind you) don't know, how am I the consumer suppose to make an informed decision?

You provided only that you like Partitions. I can clearly look at bullet options in factory ammo until I'm blue in the face but I don't make them so how am I to know how one compares to another when even the same bullet but in a different caliber performs different?

Thanks
Steve

For the 7mm-08 the 139gr SST is an awesome killer. It's like it was designed for the speeds of this cartridge.

The 120gr and 140gr Ballitic Tips are good but the SST just kills faster, I can't recommend it enough.

I have a hunting buddy who used to love Accubonds until I introduced him to the SST.

I used partitions for years until they failed, several cases where if they didnt hit bone they would pencil through, maybe a bad batch but after using the SST I've had no need to go back to them.

If your worried about not enough expansion of a 308 Winchester or 7mm/08,,, then why not buy factory ammo that does expand...

There are 7 + manufactors that produce 50+++ types of bullets that will expand on thin or thick skin critters of your choosing...

Find the bullet your after and get at it,,, lifes to sort to find the best of the best...

Do your research on the factory ammo bullets that are available and get at it...

If you don't like what is out there, start reloading your own ammo...

I switched to Partions for my 30/06,,, 308,,, and 6.5 since they work...

Cheers from the North

Ahhhh, so the premium component bullets like Partitions, Accubond, Ballistic Tips, etc. just won't expand no matter how hard I push them.
But the Factory Loaded ammo with the same bullets are sprinkled with Magic Expansion Fairy Dust will open as they touch fur, make big holes all the way thru animals, and drop them right there. Gotcha! Thanks! ( SMH )

To say that the bullet is definitely not expanding means there is proof of a recovered bullet showing that it is intact except for the rifling marks.

A bullet will not expand if the velocity is too slow for the bullet construction, not too fast.

Where field results, such as an exit wound, shows little expansion, it could be

1. the bullet contruction is too strong for the application [ think Barnes banded solids ]
2. the bullet is too fragile

When the bullet is fragile for the application, it will quickly expand and then lose the petals. The weak construction permits the petals to detatch from the shank in the wound channel, leaving the shank to penetrate, resulting in a smaller exit wound .

That is typically what happens when target match bullets are used for hunting game. The larger the game, the more spectacularly they fail.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.